Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Verizon Buys Tracfone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by southchatham View Post
    Lots and lots of Tmobile Tracfone users will be very happy to get on Verizon. For years Tracfone pushed Tmobile, even in Verizon strong areas because they had better contract terms. Most are older folks who know nothing about what carrier they are on, they think Tracfone is a network, my father included. He had Net 10 Tmobile for a decade and never had a good signal. Now I finally got him on Pageplus and voila, his phone works good.
    What carrier you get depends a lot on which subsidiary of Tracfone Wireless you have. True that the average user or retail store employee does not know how to identify the carrier. Of the multi-carrier brands that might use T-Mobile (or AT&T) are Net10 and Straight Talk, while Tracfone has seldom done so. Modern branded Android phones are "DL" models that can use all 3 major carriers. Carrier just depends on which SIM card they include. Same with iPhones, where they include the SIM card outside the Apple packaging.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    What carrier you get depends a lot on which subsidiary of Tracfone Wireless you have. True that the average user or retail store employee does not know how to identify the carrier. Of the multi-carrier brands that might use T-Mobile (or AT&T) are Net10 and Straight Talk, while Tracfone has seldom done so. Modern branded Android phones are "DL" models that can use all 3 major carriers. Carrier just depends on which SIM card they include.
    SIM also depends on shipping zip code upon ordering, if one doesn't specify what carrier phone they have. Archaic IMO as most major zip codes have all three carriers now, but I presume they still do "best served" favoritism on zip code.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    SIM also depends on shipping zip code upon ordering, if one doesn't specify what carrier phone they have. Archaic IMO as most major zip codes have all three carriers now, but I presume they still do "best served" favoritism on zip code.
    Location determining which SIM card used to be a problem. If you had any service with a specific carrier in a ZIP code they would choose one, even if another carrier had better overall service. Years ago my ZIP code defaulted to T-Mobile, and had to fight them to send an AT&T SIM. They would make a test call to see if your phone had no service with the default carrier, so you just kept the phone off to fail the call. That was in the days when the phones were hardware locked to either "GSM" or "CDMA", so you did not have a Verizon option with a "GSM" phone. You have more options now with the 3 carrier "DL" model phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO Joe View Post
    There's nothing wrong with them selling the brand or selling piecemeal. But selling all to Verizon is a problem. They can sell piecemeal to large MVNOs or even to someone like Walmart, Amazon or Best Buy. Best Buy is actually already in the MVNO space as they own Greatcall. Walmart may want to take over the "Walmart Family Mobile" brand. Selling off to other MVNOs or those stores should help things stay competitively priced and keep costs down in the lower to middle ends of the market.

Sent from my SM-G892U using HoFo mobile app
    I'm pretty sure Verizon has legal team that assessed if this would be a problem or not

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Any word if there is a breakup fee if it doesn't go through?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    Good question.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CAL7 View Post
    I never understood how the whole breakup fee thing works.

If 2 companies try to merge and the government says no then why should one of the companies have to pay a fee. IMO that is just ridiculous.

Now if one company changes their mind and backs out of the merger I can understand the fee I guess as long as it’s in within reason.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post

If 2 companies try to merge and the government says no then why should one of the companies have to pay a fee. IMO that is just ridiculous.

Now if one company changes their mind and backs out of the merger I can understand the fee I guess as long as it’s in within reason.
    Speculation. I don't even play a lawyer on TV.

In the cases of T-Mobile/ATT, there was a big risk that it wouldn't be approved, so the breakup fee showed how intent ATT was. And T-Mobile took itself off trying to find other suitors during this time.

I would suspect there won't be a breakup fee in this case. Tracfone has multiple "brands" that aren't obviously the same company to the casual customer. So I suspect (as well as others) that it probably won't be the full company. Maybe leave ST and Family Mobile behind, or at least the non-Verizon customers. If this was ATT (already with Cricket) or T-Mobile (with Metro), I don't think the purchase would be allowed.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Speculation. I don't even play a lawyer on TV.

In the cases of T-Mobile/ATT, there was a big risk that it wouldn't be approved, so the breakup fee showed how intent ATT was. And T-Mobile took itself off trying to find other suitors during this time.

I would suspect there won't be a breakup fee in this case. Tracfone has multiple "brands" that aren't obviously the same company to the casual customer. So I suspect (as well as others) that it probably won't be the full company. Maybe leave ST and Family Mobile behind, or at least the non-Verizon customers. If this was ATT (already with Cricket) or T-Mobile (with Metro), I don't think the purchase would be allowed.
    You are correct that their was definitely a huge risk that it wasn’t approved but that wasn’t my point. My point is how was it either AT&T or T-Mo’s fault that the government refused the merger. Why should AT&T have to pay a fee because the government said no.

Feedback Score
    1) It is not a merger, it is an acquisition. The most recent true merger that I can recall was the DOW-DuPont merger back in 2017, which in 2019 completed the final spinn-offs.

T-Mobile-Sprint was an acquisition & VZ-Tracfone is an acquisition.

2) Lawyers, CPAs, and due dilligence. Money that must be spent to figure out what each of the parts are worth and to answer that question "will this happen?". Tracfone has to perform pre-merger due dilligence.

3) Good faith; put your money where your mouth is; cash talks and bs walks. Similar to and engagement ring in a traditional engagement/wedding.

4) Following the engagement analogy when the suitor fails to follow through with the wedding, the bethrothed gets to keep the article of good faith.

5) VZ should have already performed pre-merger due dilligance and should not have proposed unless it had a high degree of probability the the buyout would happen, Therefore, it is a penalty just in case VZ is coericing Tracfone to open it's books to VZ and then nothing happens with the possibility that VZ "borrows" some proprietary info from Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    You are correct that their was definitely a huge risk that it wasn’t approved but that wasn’t my point. My point is how was it either AT&T or T-Mo’s fault that the government refused the merger. Why should AT&T have to pay a fee because the government said no.
    Because in the case of AT&T and T-Mobile that was what they agreed to. It was not something that the government required.

After how that happened in the AT&T/T-Mobile case, other deals in the market are unlikely to have an acquisition failure provision in their deals. T-Mo/Sprint did not have one.

Feedback Score
    Verizon didn't wait for T-Mobile to take their subscribers with their uncarrier promos and we're "first" with 5G claims. They swooped in to buy Tracfone. It will bring more cash in to their company daily. And "cash" is key! As you can see - Verizon wasn't going to let T-Mo threaten their business and spectrum needs. They moved fast. Will this purchase stop T-Mobile? Probably not. But, Now their unhappy customers have another carrier portfolio they can choose to go too. It is taking Big Red some time to build their 5G but, Verizon will build it right and get it right. As far as this acquisition or merger or whatever name you want to call it - there will probably be few conditions and Verizon will coast down the road - owning the Tracfone businesses!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung SIII
    Carrier(s)
    ChatR
    Feedback Score
    I think there shoiuld be bills passed in US allowing these big companies to give competitive rates to MVNO. Right now ATT/Verizon/TMob whoelsale rates are higher than the retail rates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ahaseeb View Post
    ...Right now ATT/Verizon/TMob whoelsale rates are higher than the retail rates.
    I don't see this at all.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5