Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Verizon now owns Tracfone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    208
    Feedback Score
    0

    Verizon now owns Tracfone

    https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/14/2...-phones-budget

    Edit: Deal is not complete yet but is expected to close in second half of 2021.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,432
    Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Kinda glad this isn't expected to close this year. I suspect FCC and DoJ approval will come down to whose administration it will be under.

    Though if this goes through, MVNOs will probably have a rough road ahead as far as maintaining reasonable wholesale rates. TracFone did have some good muscle pressed on carriers' wholesale rates with their various rate plans.

    Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Haas_Dave; 09-14-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

    R.I.P. Circuit City

    We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

    1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    321
    Feedback Score
    0
    Did not see that one coming. I hope Verizon will allow my numbers to finally be portable to them by then...the whole prepaid world is changing and low cost cell service is slowly going away


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's interesting news...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    105
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6 64GB, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Many of Tracfones subs were using AT&T network, some TMO. I think this is Verizon starting to get serious about the prepaid market for the first time ever. And with them sunsetting CDMA, this perhaps "opens" Verizon up to a larger selection of mobile devices in the Android realm. I mean there is nothing stopping Carlos Slim from starting up another bunch of MVNO and rinse and repeat. Lets face it, with 3 players left we are all about market differentiation and stealing subs from each other now. I know they throw 5G around, but that one is going over like a lead balloon.

    BTW this is a big sub amount, not sure the FCC/DOJ are just going to roll over on this. There will be a pound of flesh.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    981
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, I also didn't expect that. And what are they going to do with the subs that don't use Verizon? There is no way the other 2 providers are going to want to be selling wholesale to Big Red.

    This is going to be interesting to watch from a regulatory perspective. Of course, Verizon will claim customers can get more for less, by selling direct (i.e., cutting out the middleman). Of course, AT&T would argue that choices are being diminished, since one of their avenues for wholesale prepaid sales will disappear.

    So if Verizon gets Tracfone, someone else gets Redpocket, and a few more disappear / go out of business, then there will be far fewer choices and the MVNO market will shrink considerably.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    144
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elefante72 View Post
    Many of Tracfones subs were using AT&T network, some TMO. I think this is Verizon starting to get serious about the prepaid market for the first time ever. And with them sunsetting CDMA, this perhaps "opens" Verizon up to a larger selection of mobile devices in the Android realm. I mean there is nothing stopping Carlos Slim from starting up another bunch of MVNO and rinse and repeat. Lets face it, with 3 players left we are all about market differentiation and stealing subs from each other now. I know they throw 5G around, but that one is going over like a lead balloon.

    BTW this is a big sub amount, not sure the FCC/DOJ are just going to roll over on this. There will be a pound of flesh.
    I think the leading indication that Verizon was getting serious about Prepaid #'s was precisely their relationship with Tracfone over the last not-so-few years. At a time when Verizon appeared very unwilling to negotiate workable rates with MVNOs, they were apparently willing to work out pricing for Tracfone that made Verizon the preferred, and default, carrier. (This specifically to the Tracfone label, but not across all of the Tracfone group.)

    Although I haven't read the agreement, I'd be very surprised is there wasn't something stopping Carlos Slim from starting up a new MVNO network in the US. Non-Compete agreements are routine in buyouts.

    I'm hoping that the FCC/DOJ do not roll over. I'm pretty sure this will be a disaster for MVNO customers at the low end of the price range.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,796
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yeah, I'm calling this one bad news too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,790
    Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Seems likely that PagePlus won’t survive this...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    208
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think Verizon realizes that many of the postpaid subscribers they lost just went to a Verizon-based MVNO and the biggest ones are owned by Tracfone. So rather than losing these customers, they might as well buy Tracfone. If AT&T can own Cricket and T-Mobile can own Metro, why can't Verizon own Tracfone (so the thinking goes)?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    The rates that Total Wireless has with Verizon are the best in the industry and showed the preferential treatment.
    Who else has $100 for 4 lines with UTT and 100GB of shared high speed data, plus unlimited low speed? $10 for each additional 5GB that don't expire? 10GB hotspot included and VoLTE voice?
    I just hope VZW won't kill that.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,540
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have no confidence in verizon. After all, they are content in seeing their own prepaid offerings lose thousands of customers per quarter.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    794
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    The rates that Total Wireless has with Verizon are the best in the industry and showed the preferential treatment.
    Who else has $100 for 4 lines with UTT and 100GB of shared high speed data, plus unlimited low speed? $10 for each additional 5GB that don't expire? 10GB hotspot included and VoLTE voice?
    I just hope VZW won't kill that.
    Verizon's own Visible beats that: 4 for 100 with unlimited data including unlimited hotspot

    am i missing something that may make total a better fit for some ? maybe cheaper handsets ?

    i would be more concerned about the tracfone or pageplus branded pay as you go or 'buckets of minutes, text, data' being what does not survive. seems the big carriers no longer like pay go with their own name behind it.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,790
    Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i would be more concerned about the tracfone or pageplus branded pay as you go or 'buckets of minutes, text, data' being what does not survive. seems the big carriers no longer like pay go with their own name behind it.
    Agreed. Not as worried about decent prepaid monthly plans, but quite concerned about good pay-as-you-go plans being killed off... they all want their $5-10/mo minimum just to keep a line alive...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,143
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    Verizon's own Visible beats that: 4 for 100 with unlimited data including unlimited hotspot.........am i missing something that may make total a better fit for some ?
    Reliability and quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using Tracfone to Access Verizon (now AOL) POP3 Email?
    By BigbirdPhila in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-27-2017, 07:09 PM
  2. AT&T email, via Yahoo, now owned by Verizon
    By Greenmule in forum AT&T Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2017, 10:25 AM
  3. Verizon Communications Now Owns All of Verizon Wirless
    By ChasHam in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM
  4. Verizon Now Selling Certified Pre-Owned Phones Online
    By mbpyro in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 09:57 PM
  5. SMS to Verizon Now!!!
    By digitalh2o in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2002, 01:21 AM

Bookmarks