Thread: Sale of TracFone to Verizon

Feedback Score

Sale of TracFone to Verizon

News reports state that Verizon has agreed to purchase TracFone. Does anyone know if the sale includes Pageplus?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post
    News reports state that Verizon has agreed to purchase TracFone. Does anyone know if the sale includes Pageplus?
    Yep....

https://www.verizon.com/about/sites/...Fact-Sheet.pdf

Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A910
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If this goes through, Verizon would be the dominate player.

I see no good in having PagePlus in the hands of Verizon at all.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wonder what will happen to the non vzw arms of tracfone?

Device(s)
    StarTac 7868W
    Feedback Score
    This is definitely not a good thing.

https://fortune.com/2020/09/14/veriz...repaid-market/

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mkendallpk View Post
    ....I see no good in having PagePlus in the hands of Verizon at all.
    That makes two of us. For me, I just want PP left alone so I can continue to use it as a low-cost backup phone. Any change I can imagine Verizon making will either reduce PP's utility or increase costs.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Me worried also...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Wonder what will happen to the non vzw arms of tracfone?
    What happens to the non-VZW brands has been mentioned in the discussions. Only 62% of the Tracfone companies are on the Verizon network. This will likely come up in the Federal regulatory hearings.

Feedback Score
    Verizon is holding T-Mobile at Bay. They are concerned with their yearly subscriber adds. Buying Tracfones family of MVNO's will be a formidable force to keep revenue coming in and attracting new subscribers with attractive phone plans along with their 5G roll out. This is a match made in heaven for Verizon. They can siphon off those unhappy T-Mo customers. <--- And there are many of them.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Really bad timing with these bad news.

I currently use non-VoLTE devices for my Pay As You Go lines. I was planning to buy new devices to upgrade and keep those lines active. But now I doubt the Standard plan will survive with VZW in charge, or if it does, I'm almost sure they will make so unpalatable to force you to switch or quit. I'm not interested in switching to a monthly plan that I don't need. And I don't want to lose or waste the balances I have on those accounts either if possible. Now I don't now if it is worth buying new devices anymore with this uncertainty that in a year or so I might need to cancel service.

I've been a PPC customer for almost 13 years. I hope VZW doesn't make things worse.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    Really bad timing with these bad news.

I currently use non-VoLTE devices for my Pay As You Go lines. I was planning to buy new devices to upgrade and keep those lines active. But now I doubt the Standard plan will survive with VZW in charge, or if it does, I'm almost sure they will make so unpalatable to force you to switch or quit. I'm not interested in switching to a monthly plan that I don't need. And I don't want to lose or waste the balances I have on those accounts either if possible. Now I don't now if it is worth buying new devices anymore with this uncertainty that in a year or so I might need to cancel service.

I've been a PPC customer for almost 13 years. I hope VZW doesn't make things worse.
    Just buy a new phone since you'll need to no matter what happens for any carrier. If you don't, you'll lose your balance anyway. You could even get a factory unlocked phone and jump ship anywhere anytime. Even if you buy a branded phone, by the time any of this VZW stuff happens you'll be ready for another new phone.

With all the Forums having threads about this I think there's a bit to much hysteria and assumptions at this point.
    Just go on with life the way you've been living it. Adapt when and if the time comes. 2020 has proven that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    With all the Forums having threads about this I think there's a bit to much hysteria and assumptions at this point.
    Yes, way to early to know what will really happen. The impression is that the Verizon buyout is a slam dunk event, but that may not be true. I hope the Federal regulators look at this in detail. FCC may not have much interest because there is no infrastructure involved, but the DOJ and FTC might with anti-trust issues.