Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile is advising customers to use newer SIM card to access standalone 5G

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile is advising customers to use newer SIM card to access standalone 5G

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...ork-experience

Make sure your SIM is SA 5G compatible

If you purchased a T-Mobile 5G compatible device, it came with a 5G SA compatible SIM card in the box! You just need to activate it.
    If you're not sure you have the right SIM in the device, pull out the SIM card and see what's written on it:
    R15: If you see R15 in pink on the SIM card, you're all set!
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 17 Years.

Feedback Score
    In early of the year, got a sim card replacement which was R15 SIM

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm on the phone right now, trying to get them to send me an R15 SIM at no charge. The whole process has been like pulling teeth. At first I had to read the website to the CSR and then read him the numbers on my SIM. Once he finally admitted that I needed a new SIM, he seemed to need approval all the way up the chain to ship it free of charge. In the end, he had to charge me $10.70 for the SIM, wave the shipping and credit the $10.70 back to my account. On the phone for 31 minutes to do this. Charlie Foxtrot.

On Reddit they say that T-Force has replied that the R15 SIM is not necessary; the TM9263 SIM should work just fine. SNAFU.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 09-17-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I don't think I need to do anything. I bought a One Plus 8 5G in July. About a month ago, there was a software update to upgrade it to receive standalone 5G.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    VZW has the same process -- they're a little vague about it, but say with a 4G SIM in a 5G device "Device connects to the 5G Ultra Wideband network, but may not connect to the future enhanced 5G network", I take that to mean they are also going to need a 5G SIM for standalone 5G access.

The 3G SIMs are definitely incompatible... I had one -- oof. I had one in my Droid 2 Global (never went overseas to try it though), what a kludge -- it was actually a Vodafone NL SIM, presumably with a netherlands phone number; some unholy bit of kludgery would like forward the CDMA phone number when the SIM registered on some GSM system overseas, it'd bill as international usage on the Verizon bill, and the kludgery would cancel the call forwarding when the phone registered back on a CDMA system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    https://www.t-mobile.com/support/dev...ork-experience

Make sure your SIM is SA 5G compatible

If you purchased a T-Mobile 5G compatible device, it came with a 5G SA compatible SIM card in the box! You just need to activate it.
    Thanks for posting this! The rep I called didn't know about this. And he did a SIM check which said my SIM didn't need to be replaced. I just had him google the headline of the support article that you posted and he found, the article, read it and shipped me a SIM with two day shipping right away.

My S20 Ultra did not have the R15 SIM in it even though it is T-Mobile branded.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by navyson View Post
    I don't think I need to do anything. I bought a One Plus 8 5G in July. About a month ago, there was a software update to upgrade it to receive standalone 5G.
    One definitely needs the new SIM. Perhaps your device came with it. My 5G S20 Ultra did not. With the new SIM I am getting even better performance.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Thanks for posting this! The rep I called didn't know about this. And he did a SIM check which said my SIM didn't need to be replaced. I just had him google the headline of the support article that you posted and he found, the article, read it and shipped me a SIM with two day shipping right away.

My S20 Ultra did not have the R15 SIM in it even though it is T-Mobile branded.
    You're welcome my friend! Glad I could be of help!!

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple iPhone Xs Max, Apple iPhone X, Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    When dealing with customer service make sure they are ordering the "T-Mobile SIM 2020" which is R15 and the $10 charge can't be waived. I was able to have the T-Force rep credit my account $10. The "T-Mobile SIM 2015" is the one that customer care initially ordered for me and waived all charges. However it is R12 SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    In the end, he had to charge me $10.70 for the SIM, wave the shipping and credit the $10.70 back to my account. On the phone for 31 minutes to do this.
    So I got my SIM delivered and it was the old one. So I called in again today. And the rep said the 2015 SIM and been sent whereas the R15 is called the 2020 SIM in their system. She said the first rep probably sent the 2015 SIM because that one they can send for free. And like you pointed out, the rep couldn't waive the fee on the R15. I had to pay the $10 with a credit card and then supposedly they're crediting my account back. (Why they can't bill the SIM to my postpaid account is another story--but she insisted I had to pay immediately for that.)

So now, I should be getting the correct SIM soon. And fortunately, she knew exactly what to do, so I didn't have to wait 31 minutes.

On Reddit they say that T-Force has replied that the R15 SIM is not necessary; the TM9263 SIM should work just fine.
    I noticed that too. I also noticed that T-Mobile's support page that is linked to in the original post in this thread no longer mentions R15 nor shows a picture of the R15 SIM card. However, I don't believe that it's not necessary because I already replaced the SIM in one of my 5G phones with the R15 and noticed an improvement. Furthermore, why would I want a 2015 SIM vs. a 2020 SIM when I have the latest phone technology. It doesn't make sense.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    ..... Furthermore, why would I want a 2015 SIM vs. a 2020 SIM when I have the latest phone technology. It doesn't make sense.
    For a long time I didn't want to change my original (ca 2002) T-Mobile SIM. I demurred when they gave out free ones that had a roaming PRL that would conflict with my ability to select the roaming partner that best suited the old Omipoint roaming rates on my grandfathered plan.

I am going to check to see if the R15 SIM has a GSM SIM app. That would be an improvement. I'd like to be able to use some of my old phones.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    For a long time I didn't want to change my original (ca 2002) T-Mobile SIM. I demurred when they gave out free ones that had a roaming PRL that would conflict with my ability to select the roaming partner that best suited the old Omipoint roaming rates on my grandfathered plan.

I am going to check to see if the R15 SIM has a GSM SIM app. That would be an improvement. I'd like to be able to use some of my old phones.
    I've still got an old grandfathered paygo plan that's only $10/yr to renew for those old devices. I did grab an LTE "flip phone" for when GSM is finally sunset and I can swap the SIM but i'm going to hold out as long as I can at this point.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I've still got an old grandfathered paygo plan that's only $10/yr to renew for those old devices. I did grab an LTE "flip phone" for when GSM is finally sunset and I can swap the SIM but i'm going to hold out as long as I can at this point.
    I also have one of those. I lost the SIM and had to update that account to a new SIM.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a, iphone Xs
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    OK, if I have an R15 SIM will my phone still need an OTA upgrade?

If yes, will this upgrade happen if I have an unlocked phone purchased from Best Buy or will Tmobile only do the upgrade on phones purchased from them?

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not sure... My phone came with it. I had a carrier update when i checked for it in settings.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast