Thread: Rebranding possible of iphone locked to Total Wireless ?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score

Rebranding possible of iphone locked to Total Wireless ?

I'm considering purchasing a like-new iphone that the owner says is locked to Total Wireless for a year.

Apparently they purchased it from TW, but say Verizon coverage did not work in their area.

I would like your thoughts on the likelihood of this phone being rebranded to work on Tracfone proper, or even other TF companies ?

I'm fairly confident that this is not a uniquely iphone related question, but a rebranding question - and I think it will work, but would

like to hear confirmation.
    Last edited by trek83; 09-17-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Feedback Score
    i think the phone would need to be unlocked before it can be used anywhere else. the phone can be rebranded

Feedback Score
    It's my and others understanding and experience that the phone is locked to any TF company, not just TW. TW is a TF company, should be no problem.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, october 262, rpz1

That's my understanding from reading post from the past related to this issue - appreciate the confirmation.

Feedback Score
    If I bought a new Simple Mobile or Total Wireless iPhone, I'd just pretend it was a Tracfone and activate it.

Not sure if a phone which was previously active on TW would require rebranding to be activated on TFW with its original SIM.
    Am pretty sure you'd have to activate it properly with the supplied SIM, or a new SIM linked to the phone's ESN, in order to be able to unlock in 12 months.
    Tracfone rewards referral code XQOQ-9C34 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.
    Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    From personal experience I know it can be done, no rebranding required.

I got last year a like-new (no previously activated) locked TW iPhone activated as a tracfone to upgrade from an even older BYOD iPhone i had. I used the TW SIM that came originally with that phone. I never mentioned that it was TW branded phone. No issues in general. For some reason, for data to work, I had to install an APN profile, strange. After one year with it, I submitted an unlock request (had to chat with an agent, I tried first online but it'd say I didn't qualify) and it was immediately approved.

I did have some issues getting VVM to work, but that seems to have been an unrelated problem in the way this phone was provisioned in my account (as an Andriod, not as an iPhone), but a call to a knowledgeable CSR fixed it quickly.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, taxmantoo & Jairzinho - you both mention using the original sim - I’ve not received the phone yet so it remains to be seen if the

original sim will be included. Not sure it’s super important for me , but unlocking eventually would be nice.

I’ll just use my current ATT sim from TF at first, then switch to a Verizon sim at some point......... maybe.