Thread: SIMs attached to specific IMEI?

Feedback Score

SIMs attached to specific IMEI?

Are Tracfone sims attached to a specifica IMEI? Can I take an activated sim from a Tracfone and use it on an unlocked non Tracfone branded phone? Or would I need to call customer service because my phone IMEI is now different? Would they be able to tell that I switched phones?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aikiteresa View Post
    Are Tracfone sims attached to a specifica IMEI? Can I take an activated sim from a Tracfone and use it on an unlocked non Tracfone branded phone? Or would I need to call customer service because my phone IMEI is now different? Would they be able to tell that I switched phones?
    what service is your tracfone currently using ??

Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I have switched BYOP SIMS from one unlocked phone to another with both Verizon and AT&T as the carriers. The issue with Verizon is the SIM is still tied to the original IMEI. I'm not sure if it would work for a Tracfone branded SIM, but it doesn't hurt to try. Just realize since it is a Tracfone branded SIM it would still be tied to the original phones IMEI so don't get rid of that phone.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    The original SIM of a TF-branded phone is paired with the phone's IMEI in TF system. The SIM will work when put into a compatible phone, TF and the carrier know which phone the SIM is being used with and are not doing anything about it at the moment, but there's a potential problem. If you sell/give away the TF-branded phone and the new owner wants to activate it, TF will send him/her a new SIM and deactivate the original SIM (being used in your other phone). Suddenly your other phone will lose its number and buckets.

Feedback Score
    "The original SIM of a TF-branded phone is paired with the phone's IMEI in TF system. The SIM will work when put into a compatible phone, TF and the carrier know which phone the SIM is being used with and are not doing anything about it at the moment, but there's a potential problem. If you sell/give away the TF-branded phone and the new owner wants to activate it, TF will send him/her a new SIM and deactivate the original SIM (being used in your other phone). Suddenly your other phone will lose its number and buckets. "

Ah okay. Thanks. Was thinking about getting the cheap-o tracfones with 1 year 1500 preloaded from HSN and then just taking the sim and using it on my moto g power. Weird, the phone + plan on HSN is cheaper than just the plan itself from Tracfone ... but I hate waste ... if Tracfone knows which IMEI the sim is on ... then I guess, that phone can never be unlocked from Tracfone since it'll never fulfill the 12 month service requirement.
    Last edited by aikiteresa; 09-24-2020 at 10:56 AM. Reason: didn't hit reply with quote

Feedback Score
    "The original SIM of a TF-branded phone is paired with the phone's IMEI in TF system. The SIM will work when put into a compatible phone, TF and the carrier know which phone the SIM is being used with and are not doing anything about it at the moment, but there's a potential problem. If you sell/give away the TF-branded phone and the new owner wants to activate it, TF will send him/her a new SIM and deactivate the original SIM (being used in your other phone). Suddenly your other phone will lose its number and buckets. "

Ah okay. Thanks. Was thinking about getting the cheap-o tracfones with 1 year 1500 preloaded from HSN and then just taking the sim and using it on my moto g power. Weird, the phone + plan on HSN is cheaper than just the plan itself from Tracfone ... but I hate waste ... if Tracfone knows which IMEI the sim is on ... then I guess, that phone can never be unlocked from Tracfone since it'll never fulfill the 12 month service requirement.
    What you are thinking of should work. It worked for me.

I have a HSN bundle Moto E5 with TF-Verizon service that is still locked. I took the E5 SIM and put it in my unbranded, unlocked Moto G6 and set the APN for TF. It worked fine when I tried a call and data.

Just swapping the SIM to another phone will not stop the year-to-unlock clock on the TF bundle phone. Transferring service from the bundle SIM to another SIM would stop the clock.

As previously mentioned, if the bundle phone is activated with new service on a new SIM it will terminate the original SIM service so don't sell or give away the bundle phone until the year is up and unlocked.

I have a G7 Power. Love the big battery, and the rest of the phone is pretty good too, except the weight.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What you are thinking of should work. It worked for me.

I have a HSN bundle Moto E5 with TF-Verizon service that is still locked. I took the E5 SIM and put it in my unbranded, unlocked Moto G6 and set the APN for TF. It worked fine when I tried a call and data.

Just swapping the SIM to another phone will not stop the year-to-unlock clock on the TF bundle phone. Transferring service from the bundle SIM to another SIM would stop the clock.

As previously mentioned, if the bundle phone is activated with new service on a new SIM it will terminate the original SIM service so don't sell or give away the bundle phone until the year is up and unlocked.

I have a G7 Power. Love the big battery, and the rest of the phone is pretty good too, except the weight.
    Oh okay. Good. Thanks.