Thread: No email/sms/iMessage notification when engaged in a phone call

Feedback Score

No email/sms/iMessage notification when engaged in a phone call

Hello,

I'm relatively new to iPhone transitioning over from Android. I currently have an iPhone 11 and I updated to iOS 14.0.1 and since doing so, if I'm engaged in a telephone call and someone sends me an email, sms text or iMessage, I do not hear a ding or feel a vibration while engaged in my phone call. I only know of the received item(s) once off the call and I see the notification bubble next to my mail app/message app.

I initially phoned Apple Support who claimed the devices do not notify with any sound/vibration when on a call. Obviously, this is not the case and I explained when engaged on a call, I should be notified real-time should I receive a message/email. I have looked into Settings | Notifications and Settings | Sounds & Haptics and all is correct.

I backed up my data, did a factory reset, restored the data and viola... everything was working and if engaged on a call and I receive a text/email, the phone will vibrate and I hear a faint sound through my earpiece based on the tone selected.

All was working and then within 15 minutes, back to silence. I phoned Apple, they ran diagnostics and said all was working fine. Unfortunately, they're as stumped as I am so I thought I would reach out to the forums prior to booking an appointment with the Genius Bar.

Wondering if others have experienced this behavior with the recent update to iOS 14.0.1 or if there's something physically wrong with my device? I asked if I could roll back the software or reinstall and Apple stated this cannot be done and it's best to simply visit a store.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'd say take it in to a store. But depending on your service, you may not be using VoLTE and therefore your data actually gets turned off during a call.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    I'd say take it in to a store. But depending on your service, you may not be using VoLTE and therefore your data actually gets turned off during a call.
    Thanks for the feedback. The situation is a little more problematic. The phone itself will randomly reboot when on a call and despite not getting my emails and/or iMessages, when it comes to SMS, I still should be getting a sound notification/haptic feedback when engaged in a call; which is not happening.

I took the phone in, swapped it for a new one and was provided a series of steps to follow. I was told it could be a iOS 14.0.1 issue and I didn't wish to believe this theory of theirs until they stated that it could be software/device specific; whereby the 14.0.1 will function properly on an iPhone model 11 Pro MAX but could fail with quirks on the 11 or 11 PRO or XS etc...

Time will shortly tell and should this be the case and it's software driven, hopefully an update will correct these problems in the near future.