Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible way to tell if your TF/AT&T line is VoLTE enabled

Feedback Score

Possible way to tell if your TF/AT&T line is VoLTE enabled

Settings > System or About phone (varies) > About phone (if you haven't already) > SIM status

Scroll to the bottom.

IMS registration state will be either Registered or Not registered.

I did a search for this to see what that means. Apparently that means whether or not AT&T has accepted your phone/SIM and provisioned the line for VoLTE.

The status seems to correlate with my results testing VoLTE on the lines.

The hidden help menus show provisioning as enabled hardware-wise, but it is up to AT&T to actually allow it.

I hope this is a valid observation.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Settings > System or About phone (varies) > About phone (if you haven't already) > SIM status

Scroll to the bottom.

IMS registration state will be either Registered or Not registered.
    I looked through several of my GSM phones: LG G6, LG Q6, LG Q7+, Essential PH-1. None of them show "SIM status" info.

To tell is a phone has VoLTE enabled with a provider's SIM, I run the Network Signal Info app before and during a phone call. If it does not have VoLTE enabled for that provided, the signal will change from LTE to HSPA during the call. So far, among the phones I listed:

* Only the Essential PH-1 had VoLTE when used with a postpaid A&T SIM. It doesn't have VoLTE when used with a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM.

* The LG Q7+ has VoLTE when used with a postpaid T-mo SIM, but no VoLTE when used with a postpaid AT&T SIM.

Feedback Score
    My TracFone Moto G6 with a BYOP ATT/TracFone sim shows

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkoboy View Post
    My TracFone Moto G6 with a BYOP ATT/TracFone sim shows
    Under Sim status

Mobile Voice Network Type: LTE

Feedback Score
    Under Sim status

Mine shows that, too, but I think it's locking onto the most modern signal it can find. But when it comes time to make/receive a call, AT&T won't put it through using that.

Feedback Score
    My BYOD Moto G Power shows registered and I definitely have VOLTE. Post paid AT&T account.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Under Sim status

If I make a call to someone with an ATT Plan I show HD on my phone on the Phone/Call screen. My phone also stays on 4G when I make a call. It use to drop to 3G. My mom had a Tracfone MY Flip on ATT, not BYOP. her phone showed VOLTE on the main screen.

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    If your Android phone displays IMS Registration State (not all do), just because your phone shows "Not Registered" does not necessarily indicate that your SIM is not provisioned for VoLTE. It's possible for VoLTE to be provisioned on the carrier side, but for your phone (or your particular firmware) to not support using it on AT&T.

Same actually goes for the most common-sense test: making a voice call, and seeing if the phone stays on LTE or falls back to 3G/HSPA: phone might not support it even if both your SIM and the provisioning on the account does.

Only sure-fire way to know is to stick the SIM in a phone that you happen to know 100% for sure can successfully make VoLTE calls on AT&T, and actually try to make a call (and/or check IMS registration status on that phone, provided it actually displays it somewhere).

Feedback Score
    some phones, although not all, you can dial *#*#4636#*#* select phone information (may have to scroll down a bit) and you should see some provisioning switches for VoLTE - WIFI-Calling etc.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I've done what you suggest in the past, october262, and I just now tried it again. When I 'turn on' volte my wifi and my bars go to maximum for a phone call (to hpham's airport). However, when I recheck the on button for volte it has switched back off. Go figure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    My BYOD Moto G Power shows registered and I definitely have VOLTE. Post paid AT&T account.
    This is about getting VoLTE on Tracfone-AT&T. VoLTE is not restricted on postpaid AT&T. It is on AT&T MVNOs.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    This is about getting VoLTE on Tracfone-AT&T. VoLTE is not restricted on postpaid AT&T. It is on AT&T MVNOs.
    So you're saying my Moto G Play with a BYOP att sim will never get volte? Bummer if that's true.

Feedback Score
    Nobody knows how this will shake out. It depends on the phone's hardware and AT&T's flexibility.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Nobody knows how this will shake out. It depends on the phone's hardware and AT&T's flexibility.
    With Verizon's pending purchase of Tracfone and likely pushing everyone to use Verizon, whether or not AT&T will enable VoLTE on BYOP phones will be a moot point.

Feedback Score
    I think it will be at least two years before we are forced to do anything. Plenty of time to size things up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast