Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Testing Boost?

Feedback Score

Testing Boost?

So I went to the boost store earlier today to try out their service for cheap plan (10 dollar option) they told me the fees to start up would be 50. Activation fee 25, 15 for expanded network SIM card and 10 for the plan when they told me all of this I backed out I just felt 50 for up front was a bit much.

Is there a cheaper way of testing out the service on their expanded network? I am just seeing if things seem nicer since they merged with T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Boost is now owned by Dish, not merged with T-Mobile.

Dish does have an agreement to use T-Mobile's network for 7 years while they build out their own 5G network, which Boost and Ting will end up using once it's switched on. (At least that's whats on paper.)
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    you are probably not going to find a dealer willing to waive the activation fee or SIM card cost for that particular plan. unlike the higher priced plans that is pretty much all they earn for activating the plan plus boost is asking them to sell as few of the that plan as possible. the higher priced plan you can find dealers who will waive the activation fee and maybe even give you a free SIM.

unfortunately the $10 plan is only available through the dealers and must be chosen at activation(you can't switch too it)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    you are probably not going to find a dealer willing to waive the activation fee or SIM card cost for that particular plan. unlike the higher priced plans that is pretty much all they earn for activating the plan plus boost is asking them to sell as few of the that plan as possible. the higher priced plan you can find dealers who will waive the activation fee and maybe even give you a free SIM.

unfortunately the $10 plan is only available through the dealers and must be chosen at activation(you can't switch too it)
    Oh I see you mean more so like the 45 plan or unlimited type ones?

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Feedback Score
    In my opinion with these in store only plans they are hoping to get people to upgrade to a more expensive plan.

And if they can't get you to upgrade they charge the extra activation fee.

Also I looked at the website and they said nothing about an activation fee or sim fee. It seems like they should tell you that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    Also I looked at the website and they said nothing about an activation fee or sim fee. It seems like they should tell you that.
    Were there activation fees on the old Boost? Can you choose to not use the expanded network, and stay on the Sprint network? Sprint users are still able to stay on the Sprint network, and not change to the T-Mobile network (so far). That is for new activations too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Were there activation fees on the old Boost? Can you choose to not use the expanded network, and stay on the Sprint network? Sprint users are still able to stay on the Sprint network, and not change to the T-Mobile network (so far). That is for new activations too.
    It seems like it changes depending on the situation as to if they charge an activation or sim fee.

When I originally signed up for boost with a new boost phone there was no activation fee or sim fee.

My brother just bought a new phone from boost and it came with 2 sims. I assume one was the old one and they tell you to use the new extended network sim that comes in an orange envelope. So there was no activation fee (he was swapping phones) or sim fee for him.

I got an unlocked moto e4 phone on a promo plan and there was no activation fee but I had to pay about $10 for a SIM (I got mine from boost online) but this was the old SIM not the extended network that did not exist at the time.

Feedback Score
    It seems like it changes depending on the situation as to if they charge an activation or sim fee.

When I originally signed up for boost with a new boost phone there was no activation fee or sim fee.

My brother just bought a new phone from boost and it came with 2 sims. I assume one was the old one and they tell you to use the new extended network sim that comes in an orange envelope. So there was no activation fee (he was swapping phones) or sim fee for him.

I got an unlocked moto e4 phone on a promo plan and there was no activation fee but I had to pay about $10 for a SIM (I got mine from boost online) but this was the old SIM not the extended network that did not exist at the time.
    the fees have been a part of the dealer program for a couple years now, dealers do have the option to waive them but you are unlikely to find a dealer willing too on the cheaper plans even if they are willing to on the higher ones.

i am pretty sure there are no fees for online or over the phone activation, metro and cricket are also similar with fees in store but not online or over the phones.

Feedback Score
    You guys are correct and the bad thing is it seems like when you call different stores (even direct sales stores like boost mobile themselves) they seem to tell you different info on fees and out door cost like one store Monday told me 15 for a sim fee for expanded network and 15 or 25 (can’t remember which number) for activation they total told me about 50 bucks just for 10 dollar plan. A different store (same kind) told me 25 for sim and 25 for activation fee I was saying to myself um what?!? And a retailer store said 70 something up front.

Is there anyway to get an expanded network card online or only at the store? I just don’t want to pay a whole ton of fees just to start service with him if I want to test the network. I ended up leaving the store because it was higher than I anticipated

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    You guys are correct and the bad thing is it seems like when you call different stores (even direct sales stores like boost mobile themselves) they seem to tell you different info on fees and out door cost like one store Monday told me 15 for a sim fee for expanded network and 15 or 25 (can’t remember which number) for activation they total told me about 50 bucks just for 10 dollar plan. A different store (same kind) told me 25 for sim and 25 for activation fee I was saying to myself um what?!? And a retailer store said 70 something up front.

Is there anyway to get an expanded network card online or only at the store? I just don’t want to pay a whole ton of fees just to start service with him if I want to test the network. I ended up leaving the store because it was higher than I anticipated
    $25 + $15 = $40 or 4 months of service just to get the $10 plan so I would say that is kind of expensive amount of fees.

You might want to consider looking at an MVNO that uses the t-mobile network because you probably can get similar or better deal.

Of course it also depends on how much a phone will cost you because that is also a cost factor.

Feedback Score
    $25 + $15 = $40 or 4 months of service just to get the $10 plan so I would say that is kind of expensive amount of fees.

You might want to consider looking at an MVNO that uses the t-mobile network because you probably can get similar or better deal.

Of course it also depends on how much a phone will cost you because that is also a cost factor.
    I looked at Metro as well which seems to be an easier option given their 100 VC or the 40 unlimited plan

Feedback Score
    I looked at Metro as well which seems to be an easier option given their 100 VC or the 40 unlimited plan

Also t-mobile has this $15 plan you might check into that one.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/home

Our lowest-priced plans ever, starting at only $15/month.
    Unlimited talk and text, plus 2GB of high-speed data. And we'll increase your data by 500MB each year for the next five years.

Feedback Score
    Also t-mobile has this $15 plan you might check into that one.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/home

Our lowest-priced plans ever, starting at only $15/month.
    Unlimited talk and text, plus 2GB of high-speed data. And we'll increase your data by 500MB each year for the next five years.
    I saw that

You can get an eSim from T-Mobile through their app but you have to select the cheapest 40 plan for it tho

Also I saw the expanded network sims are on sale with eBay but is it trustworthy getting one from eBay? Like they are brand new never used?

Feedback Score
    I saw that

You can get an eSim from T-Mobile through their app but you have to select the cheapest 40 plan for it tho

Also I saw the expanded network sims are on sale with eBay but is it trustworthy getting one from eBay? Like they are brand new never used?
    The problem with the boost plan is they don't really want people to buy it. It is just to get people in the stores so they can sell you a higher price plan. It looks good until you find out there are $40 of fees on a $10 plan.

Are you just wanting a cheap plan because there are also free plans like textnow and others.

Do you have a phone or plan to buy one because this can make a big difference. For example, if you already have an unlocked phone you have many options to get a cheap plan using an MVNO but if you have to buy the phone that is an additional cost.

Feedback Score
    The problem with the boost plan is they don't really want people to buy it. It is just to get people in the stores so they can sell you a higher price plan. It looks good until you find out there are $40 of fees on a $10 plan.

Are you just wanting a cheap plan because there are also free plans like textnow and others.

Do you have a phone or plan to buy one because this can make a big difference. For example, if you already have an unlocked phone you have many options to get a cheap plan using an MVNO but if you have to buy the phone that is an additional cost.
    Ahh I see what you mean now

I have a few unlocked phones already. I just wanted to see how different their expanded network is compared to prior merger is all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast