Thread: Calls go straight to VM until phones rebooted

Feedback Score

Calls go straight to VM until phones rebooted

Hi everyone -

I’m working with Verizon’s “L2” team on this issue, but wanted to poll this group as well to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Without notice, incoming phone calls will begin going straight to voicemail. This will occur until the phone is rebooted or network settings are reset, when it then occurs again within the next few days to week or so.

This affects all phones on my account (various iPhones) but at different times.

During this experience, outbound calls work fine, as does data and SMS. We usually don’t realize it’s happening until someone tells us or we realize we haven’t gotten a phone call in forever.

Location does not fix the issue (in other words, bouncing between towers doesn’t fix incoming calls going to VM), but because we are working from home, I strongly suspect the issue is occurring at our home location, where signal is good.

Wi-Fi calling doesn’t help here. Either enabled or disabled, when calls are going straight to VM, changing this setting doesn’t fix it.

Finally, no other device linked via Number Share (we have iPads and Apple Watches) will receive the rings either if the problem exists, but so begin receiving inbound calls when the phone is rebooted.

L2 has rebuilt my backend profile from scratch and will check in with me next week to see if the issue has occurred again. Ironically today after speaking with VZ my wife’s phone did it again.

Any thoughts or similar stories?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like the phone is not being recognized on the local network. When this happens, are you having trouble making outbound calls as well ?? Could be either a phone or network issue. What make/model phone and where are you ??
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Have one or more phones been recently upgraded to iOS 14? There’s a new spam feature that sends calls direct to voicemail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    Have one or more phones been recently upgraded to iOS 14? There’s a new spam feature that sends calls direct to voicemail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Interesting. If that is the case, you may need to wait for Apple to patch the latest update to avoid this or ask if there is a way to disable it in the iPhone.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For iPhones (iOS 13.x +), there is a feature called “Silence Unknown Callers” under -> Settings -> Phone.

Make sure that this feature is turned off. Otherwise, calls from people who are not in your contacts will be automatically forwarded to voicemail.

Even if this feature has not been turned on, there are still instances where the a person’s profile band the network seems to push calls to voicemail, delays answering and connections to the point that the other party cannot hear the caller.

My brother-in-law and I have had that same issue with iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone X. My wife’s iPhone 8 does not have this issue.

My brother-in-law and I seem to have fewer issues but it does re-occur occasionally and is not quickly noticed. We are all on iOS 14.0.1 now.

Reportedly, there has been a legacy switch from landline days that needed to be addressed by the carrier associated with the phone number. A T-Mobile CSR was familiar with it but had not heard of anyone having recent issues.

This issue is not specific to Verizon as it had been reported on Sprint. I am not sure about AT&T but it likely affects them. The other weird issue is that it tends to affect certain iPhones X, but Apple Care is not aware of an iPhone or iOS issue.

I think some have called this feature “delayed calling”. There are other names for it as a legacy feature but it is still a mystery.

Anyway, upgrade to the latest iOS, force a hard reboot (not reset) of your iPhone pressing top volume button and then release,!then press and release bottom volume button, and finally hold down on the right hand power button until the iPhone shuts down and the Apple logo re-appears.

Thereafter, call your carrier to have a profile and network re-set. At some point, they will have you turn off your WiFi, shut off your phone for 10 min. while they re-set your profile, you will then turn your phone on and enter ## with about 6 digits followed by #, et al. When it is all said and done, plan to have spent two hours with your carrier’s support.

It is a bit of a pain, but I seem to be having less issues.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    Sounds like the phone is not being recognized on the local network. When this happens, are you having trouble making outbound calls as well ?? Could be either a phone or network issue. What make/model phone and where are you ??
    Thank you. Outbound calls, SMS and data all work during this time. This is what makes it so damaging - I don't realize there is an issue until people complain they can't reach me or I realize I haven't gotten a call in a long time.

This happens on all of my family's iPhones - 11 Pro Max, and Xs.

Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    For iPhones (iOS 13.x +), there is a feature called “Silence Unknown Callers” under -> Settings -> Phone.

Make sure that this feature is turned off. Otherwise, calls from people who are not in your contacts will be automatically forwarded to voicemail.

Even if this feature has not been turned on, there are still instances where the a person’s profile band the network seems to push calls to voicemail, delays answering and connections to the point that the other party cannot hear the caller.

My brother-in-law and I have had that same issue with iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone X. My wife’s iPhone 8 does not have this issue.

My brother-in-law and I seem to have fewer issues but it does re-occur occasionally and is not quickly noticed. We are all on iOS 14.0.1 now.

Reportedly, there has been a legacy switch from landline days that needed to be addressed by the carrier associated with the phone number. A T-Mobile CSR was familiar with it but had not heard of anyone having recent issues.

This issue is not specific to Verizon as it had been reported on Sprint. I am not sure about AT&T but it likely affects them. The other weird issue is that it tends to affect certain iPhones X, but Apple Care is not aware of an iPhone or iOS issue.

I think some have called this feature “delayed calling”. There are other names for it as a legacy feature but it is still a mystery.

Anyway, upgrade to the latest iOS, force a hard reboot (not reset) of your iPhone pressing top volume button and then release,!then press and release bottom volume button, and finally hold down on the right hand power button until the iPhone shuts down and the Apple logo re-appears.

Thereafter, call your carrier to have a profile and network re-set. At some point, they will have you turn off your WiFi, shut off your phone for 10 min. while they re-set your profile, you will then turn your phone on and enter ## with about 6 digits followed by #, et al. When it is all said and done, plan to have spent two hours with your carrier’s support.

It is a bit of a pain, but I seem to be having less issues.

Good luck!
    I have confirmed that Silence Unknown Callers, DND, and the spam settings are all disabled. And, this is happening on all of my iPhones sporadically. A reboot or reset network settings fixes the issue until it occurs again.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix26404 View Post
    Thank you. Outbound calls, SMS and data all work during this time. This is what makes it so damaging - I don't realize there is an issue until people complain they can't reach me or I realize I haven't gotten a call in a long time.

This happens on all of my family's iPhones - 11 Pro Max, and Xs.

I have confirmed that Silence Unknown Callers, DND, and the spam settings are all disabled. And, this is happening on all of my iPhones sporadically. A reboot or reset network settings fixes the issue until it occurs again.
    I was able to get this fixed see my other posts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...tm_name=iossmf

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple iPhone Xs Max, Apple iPhone X, Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Helix26404 View Post
    Hi everyone -

I’m working with Verizon’s “L2” team on this issue, but wanted to poll this group as well to see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Without notice, incoming phone calls will begin going straight to voicemail. This will occur until the phone is rebooted or network settings are reset, when it then occurs again within the next few days to week or so.

This affects all phones on my account (various iPhones) but at different times.

During this experience, outbound calls work fine, as does data and SMS. We usually don’t realize it’s happening until someone tells us or we realize we haven’t gotten a phone call in forever.

Location does not fix the issue (in other words, bouncing between towers doesn’t fix incoming calls going to VM), but because we are working from home, I strongly suspect the issue is occurring at our home location, where signal is good.

Wi-Fi calling doesn’t help here. Either enabled or disabled, when calls are going straight to VM, changing this setting doesn’t fix it.

Finally, no other device linked via Number Share (we have iPads and Apple Watches) will receive the rings either if the problem exists, but so begin receiving inbound calls when the phone is rebooted.

L2 has rebuilt my backend profile from scratch and will check in with me next week to see if the issue has occurred again. Ironically today after speaking with VZ my wife’s phone did it again.

Any thoughts or similar stories?
    This has happened to me a few times now. I have an LTE Network Extender 2 for Verizon here at home. It happen on iOS 13 & iOS 14 (beta) using eSIM on iPhone 11 Pro Max. I am also running dual SIM with T-Mobile. I also have Number Share with an Apple Watch Series 5. When this occurs outgoing calls, SMS, data all work fine. Just all incoming calls to Verizon go to voicemail. Verizon incoming calls also won't ring on the watch when this happens. When the issue occurs T-Mobile receives incoming calls without issue. A reboot fixes the problem. My iPhone is now on iOS 14.0.1

Another anomaly I noticed is that not all my calls are showing up under usage.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
    This has happened to me a few times now. I have an LTE Network Extender 2 for Verizon here at home. It happen on iOS 13 & iOS 14 (beta) using eSIM on iPhone 11 Pro Max. I am also running dual SIM with T-Mobile. I also have Number Share with an Apple Watch Series 5. When this occurs outgoing calls, SMS, data all work fine. Just all incoming calls to Verizon go to voicemail. Verizon incoming calls also won't ring on the watch when this happens. When the issue occurs T-Mobile receives incoming calls without issue. A reboot fixes the problem. My iPhone is now on iOS 14.0.1

Another anomaly I noticed is that not all my calls are showing up under usage.
    This is my identical setup and problem except the dual sim is with AT&T. It’s more than annoying but I don’t have a lot of time to sit and call VZW to fix it. I’m hoping it can be fixed with an iOS update.