Thread: What are my options? How does Boost work?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question What are my options? How does Boost work?

I've been on mint mobile over just over two years. My contract was up at the end of Sept. and I wanted to hold off on signing another annual contract until Thanksgiving, when they may have a promotion. Also, I was on a moto G4 Plus, probably close to 5 years old now, and the SIM card slot is starting to fail (when I first went to a store to change carrier it stopped working. A couple of hours later I managed to place it right again). But I want to hold off on buying for real until the Pixel 5 goes on (a big) sale. I had used a Pixel 3 for photography especially during travels for over a year, but gave it to my mom who needed a new phone. I want to wait till international travels are relatively safe again.

This past month I used well under 1 GB of mobile data. Usually I'm around 2 GB/mo.

So, I decided to sign up for a $50 plan with Boost Mobile, and got a free LG Stylo 6 in return. I intend to switch to another low-cost carrier for at least a month and hoping for a good sale at mint. The activation fees do add up so I'm not going to do that too much.

Boost has a $10/1 GB plan, and $15/2 GB plan, for people switching to the network. So I want to know:
    1) Is there a restriction, like you have to have not been on the network for a certain number of months?

2) if it's possible to switch back Boost on the LG phone, since it's locked into the network for a year.

3) I assume I can at least switch back to Boost on the G4 phone, assuming it still works?

4) I also considered selling off the LG phone. I tried putting the SIM card in the G4 but that didn't work. Should I think about that more?

5) Any other ideas or suggestions?

Anything's greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    theres a dedicated boost forum https://www.howardforums.com/forumdi...6-Boost-Mobile some might be able to answer these questions better.

from recollection, new activations on boost are using tmobile now. But maybe I am wrong. But if it is tmobile now, it is strange that the g4 wouldn't work on boost, unless maybe the sim is tied to the device (or maybe it was like you mentioned about the sim card slot dying in the g4)

I think phones bought at boost are locked to it for 12 months. to me the simplest thing would be to see if you could downgrade the $50 plan to the $10/$15 one. Not sure if that is possible to do at boost once you are a customer

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, sorry, I figured there may be another network someone would recommend or something.

The $10/15 plans are only for switching. The cheapest plan I can downgrade to is $35.

Feedback Score
    Just a little confusing because the new phone is locked to boost, so other networks wouldn't be able to use it until it was unlocked.
    (Or at least that was the case back when boost was owned by sprint)

OR maybe you meant that you are just planning on using boost for 1 month, then hopping to another company for the next month?
    In that case, there are a few options. Tmobile has a 2Gb $15(+tax) plan https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans/connect

US mobile has a 2.5Gb plan for under $20. They advertise it as $15, but in fine print there is "$2 Service Fee from carrier partners for network access and Regulatory Cost Recovery charges from $1 - $5 per line"

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Just a little confusing because the new phone is locked to boost, so other networks wouldn't be able to use it until it was unlocked.
    That's correct. I just switched to Boost yesterday, and I plan to switch out for November. My plan was to go back to mint for an annual contract if they have a good Thanksgiving offer. But now that I've seen Boost's $10 plan, I also will consider doing that for as long as I'm stuck mostly at home.

So, suppose at the end of October I switch to, let's say, T-Mo. I won't be able to use the new Boost-locked LG. I'm hoping the G4 will still work. I'll use that for a month.

Then, I will switch back either to mint or to Boost, depending on the BF offers. If I go back to Boost, will I be able to use the LG phone again, or would they say I was a recent customer, or maybe that the phone's "paid off"?

At $15/mo, I could even stay on T-Mo. for awhile, except I won't be able to use my new phone. I could also ebay the phone and get an unlocked one, but I'm not sure how much I'd be able to get for a used LG phone then, $50-100, probably.

Feedback Score
    Tello has unlimited talk/text and 1 gb lte with slow data after that for $10/mo - no contracts with ability to change plan each month. Uses Sprint network.

Feedback Score
    i cannot confirm what may actually work or not but have been advised there are safe guards in place to specifically prevent recently subsidized free or discounted handset from activating on the cheap $10/$15/$25 plans. the intent of those cheaper plans is that customers will have to pay the full retail price or bring their own phone.

what i heard was a response to a dealer who was concerned about customers signing up on higher plans to get free handsets and than quickly canceling to re-activate on the cheap plans. the response was that safe guards were on place to prevent that.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Edit: Ugh, just checked out Tello. Sprint network and no Wi-Fi Calling. That's a problem.

Updated plan: Tello next. Don't count on being able to go back to Boost. Thanks jw530 & robbyrobby.
    Last edited by ImagineNoHell; 10-04-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Feedback Score
    Of course tello is good only if you have sprint reception, but they do have outgoing only wifi calling.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I need incoming because I work in an old building whose thick stone walls blocks signals in many places. T-mobile has decent but still inadequate coverage so I rely on WiFi Calling to stay connected.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagineNoHell View Post
    I need incoming because I work in an old building whose thick stone walls blocks signals in many places. T-mobile has decent but still inadequate coverage so I rely on WiFi Calling to stay connected.
    something that might work if you find an option with call forwarding but no wifi calling:

forward your calls while at work to a google voice number and have the GV app setup for calling over wifi and cellular data

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think texts can get forwarded, can it? That's much more likely than calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagineNoHell View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think texts can get forwarded, can it? That's much more likely than calls.
    correct, not texts. t-mobile or t-mobile MVNO's(including boost) might be your best choice. in my experience t-mobile if by far the most VoLTE/VoWIFI friendly of the carriers especially if you want to change around handsets