Thread: What are my options? How does Boost work?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question What are my options? How does Boost work?

Sorry I posted in the general forum and I was told it should probably be here.

I've been on mint mobile over just over two years. My contract was up at the end of Sept. and I wanted to hold off on signing another annual contract until Thanksgiving, when they may have a promotion. Also, I was on a moto G4 Plus, probably close to 5 years old now, and the SIM card slot is starting to fail (when I first went to a store to change carrier it stopped working. A couple of hours later I managed to place it right again). But I want to hold off on buying for real until the Pixel 5 goes on (a big) sale. I had used a Pixel 3 for photography especially during travels for over a year, but gave it to my mom who needed a new phone. I want to wait till international travels are relatively safe again.

This past month I used well under 1 GB of mobile data. Usually I'm around 2 GB/mo.

So, I decided to sign up for a $50 plan with Boost Mobile, and got a free LG Stylo 6 in return. I intend to switch to another low-cost carrier for at least a month and hoping for a good sale at mint. The activation fees do add up so I'm not going to do that too much.

Boost has a $10/1 GB plan, and $15/2 GB plan, for people switching to the network (but I can't switch to them without going to another carrier first). So I want to know:

1) Is there a restriction, like you have to have not been on the network for a certain number of months?

2) if it's possible to switch back Boost on the LG phone, since it's locked into the network for a year.

3) I assume I can at least switch back to Boost on the G4 phone, assuming it still works?

4) I also considered selling off the LG phone. I tried putting the SIM card in the G4 but that didn't work. Should I think about that more?

5) Any other ideas or suggestions?

Anything's greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Another guy on this forums said the $10 plan has to be done in the boost store and they charge at least $25 activation and $15 sim card fees but some stores charge more.

They don't really want people getting the cheap plan which is why it is only available in store. It is just something to get you in the store and up sale you on the more expensive plans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagineNoHell View Post
    Sorry I posted in the general forum and I was told it should probably be here.

I've been on mint mobile over just over two years. My contract was up at the end of Sept. and I wanted to hold off on signing another annual contract until Thanksgiving, when they may have a promotion. Also, I was on a moto G4 Plus, probably close to 5 years old now, and the SIM card slot is starting to fail (when I first went to a store to change carrier it stopped working. A couple of hours later I managed to place it right again). But I want to hold off on buying for real until the Pixel 5 goes on (a big) sale. I had used a Pixel 3 for photography especially during travels for over a year, but gave it to my mom who needed a new phone. I want to wait till international travels are relatively safe again.

This past month I used well under 1 GB of mobile data. Usually I'm around 2 GB/mo.

So, I decided to sign up for a $50 plan with Boost Mobile, and got a free LG Stylo 6 in return. I intend to switch to another low-cost carrier for at least a month and hoping for a good sale at mint. The activation fees do add up so I'm not going to do that too much.

Boost has a $10/1 GB plan, and $15/2 GB plan, for people switching to the network (but I can't switch to them without going to another carrier first). So I want to know:

1) Is there a restriction, like you have to have not been on the network for a certain number of months?

2) if it's possible to switch back Boost on the LG phone, since it's locked into the network for a year.

3) I assume I can at least switch back to Boost on the G4 phone, assuming it still works?

4) I also considered selling off the LG phone. I tried putting the SIM card in the G4 but that didn't work. Should I think about that more?

5) Any other ideas or suggestions?

Anything's greatly appreciated.
    $10 is for any 'activation' could be a new number, no port needed.

the catch i believe though(i have not seen proof of this yet) is that your recently acquired Stylo 6 may be specifically blocked from the plan unless it has certain amount of history on the plan it was activated on for i believe 120 days.

there is supposed to be some very specific safe guards to counter act exactly the sort 'promotion gaming' that would entail. the intent of the $10 plan is for it to only be available to those who BYOD or pay the full retail price of new boost handsets.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Staying on boost for four more months would defeat the purpose of getting a cheap plan/phone in the first place. I guess I'll have to sell the LG, which should pay back at least the costs of all the switching.