Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Question about Pac Bell Wireless

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question about Pac Bell Wireless

    Hi all -

    Just a random question about the old PAC Bell PCS network.. From what I understand, the PAC Bell network is now T-Mobile, is that correct?

    Does anyone know how much the network has grown since T-Mobile took over?

    I had Pac Bell wireless for a time in the 90s before moving to the East Coast. I remember having solid reception at my brothers house back then (Orange County), but now, with T-Mobile, the reception is quite spotty.

    Assuming this has something to do with the changes in technology over the years? I know a lot has happened in 20+ years, but I’m a bit surprised the coverage seems to have diminished in this area. Otherwise, my wife and I are happy T-Mobile customers.

    Thank you!




    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    848
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    Hi all -

    Just a random question about the old PAC Bell PCS network.. From what I understand, the PAC Bell network is now T-Mobile, is that correct?

    Does anyone know how much the network has grown since T-Mobile took over?

    I had Pac Bell wireless for a time in the 90s before moving to the East Coast. I remember having solid reception at my brothers house back then (Orange County), but now, with T-Mobile, the reception is quite spotty.

    Assuming this has something to do with the changes in technology over the years? I know a lot has happened in 20+ years, but I’m a bit surprised the coverage seems to have diminished in this area. Otherwise, my wife and I are happy T-Mobile customers.

    Thank you!




    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    No.
    Pacific Bell Wireless became Cingular, then became at&t mobile.
    It has nothing to do with T-Mobile

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Androided; 10-01-2020 at 05:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    No.
    Pacific Bell Wireless became Cingular, then became at&t mobile.
    It has nothing to with T-Mobile

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Ah. Thank you.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,212
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    0
    It was recently discussed here https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...overage/page40 starting at post #593.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question about Pac Bell Wireless

    Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    It was recently discussed here https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...overage/page40 starting at post #593.
    Thank you.

    So Cingular allowed T-Mobile to take full ownership of their shared network in CA and NV following the Cingular/ATTWS merger. This means T-Mobile IS using what was originally the Pac Bell network and AT&T Mobility (formerly Cingular) is using what was originally AT&T Wireless’ network.

    Got it.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Last edited by bankerdentist; 10-01-2020 at 10:28 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,978
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    Thank you.

    So Cingular allowed T-Mobile to take full ownership of their shared network in CA and NV following the Cingular/ATTWS merger. This means T-Mobile IS using what was originally the Pac Bell network and AT&T Mobility (formerly Cingular) is using what was originally AT&T Wireless’ network.

    Got it.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    That is correct.

    Sent from my LM-G900TM using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    714
    Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    No.
    Pacific Bell Wireless became Cingular, then became at&t mobile.
    It has nothing to with T-Mobile

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    More @Androided misinformation.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,059
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    Thank you.

    So Cingular allowed T-Mobile to take full ownership of their shared network in CA and NV following the Cingular/ATTWS merger. This means T-Mobile IS using what was originally the Pac Bell network and AT&T Mobility (formerly Cingular) is using what was originally AT&T Wireless’ network.

    Got it.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Yup, exactly what happened. the OG AT&T Wireless (850Mhz mostly) went to Cingular, and PacBell's network went to T-Mobile.

    OP, what could have happened too is a lease expired nearby and the site had to be moved.

    OR it could have something to do with the T-Mobile/Sprint integration.

    Odd question, did you try manually selecting the 2nd "T-Mobile" network that shows up under manual network selection? It also has access to the legacy Sprint sites and when traveling around.. I do notice a speed/signal difference between the two.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    10,567
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yup, exactly what happened. the OG AT&T Wireless (850Mhz mostly) went to Cingular, and PacBell's network went to T-Mobile.

    OP, what could have happened too is a lease expired nearby and the site had to be moved.

    OR it could have something to do with the T-Mobile/Sprint integration.

    Odd question, did you try manually selecting the 2nd "T-Mobile" network that shows up under manual network selection? It also has access to the legacy Sprint sites and when traveling around.. I do notice a speed/signal difference between the two.
    I just tried to second T-Mobile option on my iPhone 11 Pro.

    Download speeds are twice as fast compared to when on Automatic in my bedroom but upload speeds are really slow.





    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,585
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    .....So Cingular allowed T-Mobile to take full ownership of their shared network in CA and NV following the Cingular/ATTWS merger...
    It all started because Cingular had no PCS licenses in NYC and T-Mobile was short in California. T-Mobile traded Cingular a license in NYC (and the surrounding area) for a license covering all of California and part of NV (the details are foggy. It was almost 20 years ago) Just a few months afterward the old AT&T Wireless merged with Cingular, giving them the license they had needed in NYC, which would have made the deal with T-Mobile unnecessary had it happened a few months earlier. I always said that T-Mobile came out of that deal smelling like a rose.
    Donald Newcomb

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yup, exactly what happened. the OG AT&T Wireless (850Mhz mostly) went to Cingular, and PacBell's network went to T-Mobile.

    OP, what could have happened too is a lease expired nearby and the site had to be moved.

    OR it could have something to do with the T-Mobile/Sprint integration.

    Odd question, did you try manually selecting the 2nd "T-Mobile" network that shows up under manual network selection? It also has access to the legacy Sprint sites and when traveling around.. I do notice a speed/signal difference between the two.
    Thank you for the response. I haven’t tried manually selecting, but I will once I return to the area.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    18
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It all started because Cingular had no PCS licenses in NYC and T-Mobile was short in California. T-Mobile traded Cingular a license in NYC (and the surrounding area) for a license covering all of California and part of NV (the details are foggy. It was almost 20 years ago) Just a few months afterward the old AT&T Wireless merged with Cingular, giving them the license they had needed in NYC, which would have made the deal with T-Mobile unnecessary had it happened a few months earlier. I always said that T-Mobile came out of that deal smelling like a rose.
    Ah. Makes sense now.

    Was the original AT&T wireless network (GSM) PCS as well? I seem to remember AT&T’s attempt to blanket their existing 850mhz TDMA network with GSM 1900mhz leading to dead spots. If this is true, do you know why they didn’t initially build out GSM 850 if they already had the licenses?



    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    16,585
    Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    Ah. Makes sense now.

    Was the original AT&T wireless network (GSM) PCS as well? I seem to remember AT&T’s attempt to blanket their existing 850mhz TDMA network with GSM 1900mhz leading to dead spots. If this is true, do you know why they didn’t initially build out GSM 850 if they already had the licenses?
    Pac Bell was GSM. AT&T (1st instantiation) was TDMA. Cingular was a hodgepodge of Analog, TDMA and GSM that eventually became all GSM. Remember that 850 MHz cellular licensees were required to maintain analog capability for universal 911 service until like 2008 (?). GSM was not standardized in the 850 MHz band until sometime after 2000. This lead to Cingular customers having the hybrid, dual-mode, GAIT phones, like the Nokia 6340 or S-E T62u.

    (Please excuse me if the details are off. It was 20 years ago.)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    848
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    Thank you.

    So Cingular allowed T-Mobile to take full ownership of their shared network in CA and NV following the Cingular/ATTWS merger. This means T-Mobile IS using what was originally the Pac Bell network and AT&T Mobility (formerly Cingular) is using what was originally AT&T Wireless’ network.

    Got it.


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    There was no business ownership took over.
    It was spectrum licensing swapped...

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    714
    Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    There was no business ownership took over.
    It was spectrum licensing swapped...

    Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Then why did PacBell customers seamlessly transition to T-Mobile?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bell Question About OLD Bell Phones
    By jnrbshp in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
  2. Bell Question about a Bell Refurbished Payphone
    By Johnny_Mack in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 10:42 AM
  3. Pac Bell Wireless Startac... anyone used one?
    By SpiralSlash in forum AT&T
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 04:51 PM
  4. Question about activating Bell V60 on Telus Pay and Talk.
    By Steve 90TTZ in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 01:06 AM
  5. Question about telus/bell PRL
    By Treatz in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2002, 04:07 PM

Bookmarks