Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about Pac Bell Wireless

Feedback Score

Question about Pac Bell Wireless

Hi all -

Just a random question about the old PAC Bell PCS network.. From what I understand, the PAC Bell network is now T-Mobile, is that correct?

Does anyone know how much the network has grown since T-Mobile took over?

I had Pac Bell wireless for a time in the 90s before moving to the East Coast. I remember having solid reception at my brothers house back then (Orange County), but now, with T-Mobile, the reception is quite spotty.

Assuming this has something to do with the changes in technology over the years? I know a lot has happened in 20+ years, but I’m a bit surprised the coverage seems to have diminished in this area. Otherwise, my wife and I are happy T-Mobile customers.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerdentist View Post
    Hi all -

Just a random question about the old PAC Bell PCS network.. From what I understand, the PAC Bell network is now T-Mobile, is that correct?

Does anyone know how much the network has grown since T-Mobile took over?

I had Pac Bell wireless for a time in the 90s before moving to the East Coast. I remember having solid reception at my brothers house back then (Orange County), but now, with T-Mobile, the reception is quite spotty.

Assuming this has something to do with the changes in technology over the years? I know a lot has happened in 20+ years, but I’m a bit surprised the coverage seems to have diminished in this area. Otherwise, my wife and I are happy T-Mobile customers.

Thank you!

No.
    Pacific Bell Wireless became Cingular, then became at&t mobile.
    It has nothing to do with T-Mobile

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Androided; 10-01-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Androided View Post
    No.
    It has nothing to with T-Mobile

Ah. Thank you.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    It was recently discussed here https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...overage/page40 starting at post #593.

Feedback Score

Question about Pac Bell Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    It was recently discussed here https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...overage/page40 starting at post #593.
    Thank you.

So Cingular allowed T-Mobile to take full ownership of their shared network in CA and NV following the Cingular/ATTWS merger. This means T-Mobile IS using what was originally the Pac Bell network and AT&T Mobility (formerly Cingular) is using what was originally AT&T Wireless’ network.

Got it.

Last edited by bankerdentist; 10-01-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thank you.

So Cingular allowed T-Mobile to take full ownership of their shared network in CA and NV following the Cingular/ATTWS merger. This means T-Mobile IS using what was originally the Pac Bell network and AT&T Mobility (formerly Cingular) is using what was originally AT&T Wireless’ network.

Got it.

That is correct.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    No.
    It has nothing to with T-Mobile

More @Androided misinformation.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Thank you.

Got it.

Yup, exactly what happened. the OG AT&T Wireless (850Mhz mostly) went to Cingular, and PacBell's network went to T-Mobile.

OP, what could have happened too is a lease expired nearby and the site had to be moved.

OR it could have something to do with the T-Mobile/Sprint integration.

Odd question, did you try manually selecting the 2nd "T-Mobile" network that shows up under manual network selection? It also has access to the legacy Sprint sites and when traveling around.. I do notice a speed/signal difference between the two.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Yup, exactly what happened. the OG AT&T Wireless (850Mhz mostly) went to Cingular, and PacBell's network went to T-Mobile.

OP, what could have happened too is a lease expired nearby and the site had to be moved.

Odd question, did you try manually selecting the 2nd "T-Mobile" network that shows up under manual network selection? It also has access to the legacy Sprint sites and when traveling around.. I do notice a speed/signal difference between the two.
    I just tried to second T-Mobile option on my iPhone 11 Pro.

Download speeds are twice as fast compared to when on Automatic in my bedroom but upload speeds are really slow.

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    .....So Cingular allowed T-Mobile to take full ownership of their shared network in CA and NV following the Cingular/ATTWS merger...
    It all started because Cingular had no PCS licenses in NYC and T-Mobile was short in California. T-Mobile traded Cingular a license in NYC (and the surrounding area) for a license covering all of California and part of NV (the details are foggy. It was almost 20 years ago) Just a few months afterward the old AT&T Wireless merged with Cingular, giving them the license they had needed in NYC, which would have made the deal with T-Mobile unnecessary had it happened a few months earlier. I always said that T-Mobile came out of that deal smelling like a rose.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post

Thank you for the response. I haven’t tried manually selecting, but I will once I return to the area.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    It all started because Cingular had no PCS licenses in NYC and T-Mobile was short in California. T-Mobile traded Cingular a license in NYC (and the surrounding area) for a license covering all of California and part of NV (the details are foggy. It was almost 20 years ago) Just a few months afterward the old AT&T Wireless merged with Cingular, giving them the license they had needed in NYC, which would have made the deal with T-Mobile unnecessary had it happened a few months earlier. I always said that T-Mobile came out of that deal smelling like a rose.
    Ah. Makes sense now.

Was the original AT&T wireless network (GSM) PCS as well? I seem to remember AT&T’s attempt to blanket their existing 850mhz TDMA network with GSM 1900mhz leading to dead spots. If this is true, do you know why they didn’t initially build out GSM 850 if they already had the licenses?

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Ah. Makes sense now.

Was the original AT&T wireless network (GSM) PCS as well? I seem to remember AT&T’s attempt to blanket their existing 850mhz TDMA network with GSM 1900mhz leading to dead spots. If this is true, do you know why they didn’t initially build out GSM 850 if they already had the licenses?
    Pac Bell was GSM. AT&T (1st instantiation) was TDMA. Cingular was a hodgepodge of Analog, TDMA and GSM that eventually became all GSM. Remember that 850 MHz cellular licensees were required to maintain analog capability for universal 911 service until like 2008 (?). GSM was not standardized in the 850 MHz band until sometime after 2000. This lead to Cingular customers having the hybrid, dual-mode, GAIT phones, like the Nokia 6340 or S-E T62u.

(Please excuse me if the details are off. It was 20 years ago.)

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

Got it.

There was no business ownership took over.
    It was spectrum licensing swapped...

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    There was no business ownership took over.
    It was spectrum licensing swapped...

Then why did PacBell customers seamlessly transition to T-Mobile?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast