Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Verizon expands 4G fixed wireless

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Can partly blame Verizon for this with their UWB 5G advertising. The average user doesn’t know, nor care, what the differences are between the wide channels of MMwave and the smaller channels of N5 are, they only see Verizon advertising super fast 5G speeds with their MMwave 5G network and wonder why they aren’t getting that with their 5G they see. It’s up to the carrier to advertise the difference. T-Mobile I think does a decent job of this, not a great job, but they do a better job at explaining it and at least tell customers not to expect much better (they claim around a 20% increase) in speeds on their N71 5G network. The layer cake marketing was stupid yes, but, it at least explained in simple terms to non tech savvy users what was going on.
    The layer cake approach reminds me of Sprint's initial Network Vision push to begin with.. I am wondering if a sprint carryover brought that with them.

They never publicly used it, but internally it was plastered everywhere

https://broadbandsummit.apcointl.org...int_Najjar.pdf
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score

Verizon expands 4G fixed wireless

Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    Can partly blame Verizon for this with their UWB 5G advertising. The average user doesn’t know, nor care, what the differences are between the wide channels of MMwave and the smaller channels of N5 are, they only see Verizon advertising super fast 5G speeds with their MMwave 5G network and wonder why they aren’t getting that with their 5G they see. It’s up to the carrier to advertise the difference. T-Mobile I think does a decent job of this, not a great job, but they do a better job at explaining it and at least tell customers not to expect much better (they claim around a 20% increase) in speeds on their N71 5G network. The layer cake marketing was stupid yes, but, it at least explained in simple terms to non tech savvy users what was going on.
    Agreed. I think Verizon has done a very poor job of explaining the difference / subtleties to people. Their ads are technically accurate, but you have to listen very carefully and know what to listen for when they switch from describing low/mid band to mmWave. In all of the ads I’ve seen it’s pretty subtle.

The average Joe certainly isn’t going to pickup on this and understand the difference. And now that his grace, Tim Cook, has blessed the Verizon network for the second coming (of the iPhone) there will be many butt hurt i-sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    I thought they go 40 MHz nationwide. Verizon has always preferred nationwide spectrum for a more uniform coverage. I guess the power limits was the thing it certainly wasn't the price. 3450-3550 MHz will be auctioned next year and it doesn't have any power restrictions. So Verizon may go for that. And it can be deployed as soon as mid 2022. So hopefully they jump on 40-60 MHz of that if they can.
    No. That’s what the analysts had predicted and we had hoped for. But in the end, Verizon only bought PAL’s for all/most of the large metro areas.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/regul...cbrs-playbooks

Dish got nationwide (for the most part) though they only got 10-20 MHz on average. Verizon only bought licenses in the metros / suburbs where most folks actually live. But Verizon went deep, 30-40 MHz in these areas, for the most part.

Last edited by JSchnee21; 10-28-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I think they wanted to demonstrate 5G UWB speeds, and have kind of this "halo" effect get people excited about widespread 5G coverage. But, I agree 100%, it'd be better (keep in mind it's marketing so you don't say "slower" or "not as fast"...) to make it clear there's fast nationwide 5G coverage with even faster 5G UWB in UWB areas (insert marketing term here if they want... superfast or ultrafast or something.. ultrafast might work with ultra wide band).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchnee21 View Post
    No. That’s what the analysts had predicted and we had hoped for. But in the end, Verizon only bought PAL’s for all/most of the large metro areas.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/regul...cbrs-playbooks

Dish got nationwide (for the most part) though they only got 10-20 MHz on average. Verizon only bought licenses in the metros / suburbs where most folks actually live. But Verizon went deep, 30-40 MHz in these areas, for the most part.

No what? I said I THOUGHT they go for 40 MHz nationwide. I know what they actually did. I do pay attention to these auctions on a daily basis when they occur

Feedback Score

Sorry, your statement was unclear:

“I thought they go. . .”

You were implying:
    I thought they _would_ go . . .

I read:
    I thought they go(t) — assumed typo

My bad.

Sent from my iPhone XSM using Tapatalk Pro

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5