Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: T‑Mobile Home Internet

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You'll need the updated url https://maps.t-mobile.com/pcc.html?map=mvno-noroam-5

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Excellent. Thanks!

They could show the 5G bands, however. It doesn't show 5G at all where I am, but looking at a nearby street it just shows 5G without a notation of which band is serving...

Name:  New-PCC-Map-5G.png
Views: 137
Size:  97.9 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    Excellent. Thanks!

They could show the 5G bands, however. It doesn't show 5G at all where I am, but looking at a nearby street it just shows 5G without a notation of which band is serving...

Name:  New-PCC-Map-5G.png
Views: 137
Size:  97.9 KB
    Only other method of determining this... 'if' you have a device that can do this.
    1. Force your device to LTE (or at minimum disable 5G)
    2. Force your device to a specific band of LTE - that being either B41 or B71.

B41 may pick up from Sprint in the event that T-Mobile doesn't have B41/n41 deployed.

I'm under the suspicion that you're probably getting n71/B71.
    You can also check http://cellmapper.net and select T-Mobile LTE B41 or B71 to see what sites have been mapped.

Eg. Cellmapper shows B41
    23046, Avenida De La Carlota, North Laguna Hills, Laguna Hills, Orange County, California, 92653, United States

B71 has more.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I suspect that they would. In theory, it wouldn't matter much as it is supposed to be tower locked. Mine wasn't tower locked. It did come with a battery so that was nice.
    I read back and saw this. Tower Locked? If so, let me see if I can find out which tower. The mobile app hasn't worked in the past couple days. It keeps saying I need to set it up again even though it's working. Might be time to call T-Mo...

The web portal for the gateway doesn't mention which tower it's using, but I think the mobile app had the ECI or something.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Only other method of determining this... 'if' you have a device that can do this.
    1. Force your device to LTE (or at minimum disable 5G)
    2. Force your device to a specific band of LTE - that being either B41 or B71.

B41 may pick up from Sprint in the event that T-Mobile doesn't have B41/n41 deployed.

I'm under the suspicion that you're probably getting n71/B71.
    You can also check http://cellmapper.net and select T-Mobile LTE B41 or B71 to see what sites have been mapped.

Eg. Cellmapper shows B41
    23046, Avenida De La Carlota, North Laguna Hills, Laguna Hills, Orange County, California, 92653, United States

B71 has more.
    Thank you. Yeah, I mapped that B41 site. It's one of the few high cell sites of any kind around here and is on a tall building for the area, but not that tall and too far from home. The panels surround an upper section of the building. I wish the Chase Bank building on El Toro would do that as well. I would have a much better chance.

I don't think my OP8Pro does any NR mapping, however and still refuses to do SA NR. I got frustrated with that and put it aside a while. I recall we discussed it a bit on another thread. I had to do a mobile data reset to get B41 to show up, but sometimes I see it when out and about. That site is hopeless from home for my Home Internet. So, until they add n41 further South I'm out of luck and even then I will probably need a new booster which doesn't seem to exist yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Standard OP 8 does 5g SA, but only on n71. Similarly, mapping on n71 with cell mapper doesn't map the sites, only signal.

If you force your device to NR only... Do you get any service?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Standard OP 8 does 5g SA, but only on n71. Similarly, mapping on n71 with cell mapper doesn't map the sites, only signal.

If you force your device to NR only... Do you get any service?
    No, I don't get any service if I force NR only. At least not from home, but I can get an n71 NSA here on the 2nd floor and attic. It was the same with the standard OP8 I used to have. I will try again this weekend next to some known NR sites. I flapped with getting SA endlessly on the old OP8 to no avail. I haven't done the same with the OP8Pro yet.

I do see that one person has mapped a few local NR sites. I wonder what phone could do that?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Was that a TMobile branded OP 8?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Both the old OP8 and the current OP8Pro are unlocked.

Sent from my IN2025 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if TMobile has blocked it from SA, or it was never enabled by software. In theory, unlocked US versions should do both n71 and n41 SA.

https://cacombos.com/device/IN2025?c...t=t-mobile_usa

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if TMobile has blocked it from SA, or it was never enabled by software. In theory, unlocked US versions should do both n71 and n41 SA.
    I will do more research on that, but for now, back to the T-Mobile Home Internet saga.

I found this video very helpful, especially the part about popping off the case to get to a U.FL connector. I will be trying that by tomorrow night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiRc2o0zydQ

He had a tower upgrade as well and is talking about much faster speeds than anything I've experienced.

Once I connect the external antenna, my signal quality should greatly improve (vs using the booster), though my log periodic isn't made for n71. I'm sure I can find one or build one, however.

However, this may only provide a slight benefit. I just wonder why TMo seems to have it "in" for South County OC. Old sites with poor backhauls. They have done almost nothing in 2 years since the TV repack here. They put up one B71/n71 site which is too far to be effective and bailed.

Of course, if they put n41 on one of the sites I have LoS to with an upgraded backhaul, I might be singing their praises again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    From my experience, a lot of T-Mobile sites have limited backhaul or have been "modernized", and it isn't consistent, but what I suspect is that sites that are colocated have great speed due to easier access to infra, while some sites that appear standalone end up quite limited. Most of the SCE power line sites here appear to Max at 150Mbps, similar with utility pole sites most running B2/B4 and some with B12 as well. Colocated sites push 160Mbps on B4 alone and better than 250 with B2/B4, approaching 300 when B12 is added. The few that have B71 hit 300Mbps. Swap that with n71 and it's 400Mbps. Adding in n41 and it's over 700.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 8 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In response to a YouTube video I popped off the cover of the Gray box and it's most interesting. Note to the thrill seekers is to remove the SIM card slot first so the SIM card doesn't go flying. I was lucky and found it after realizing I had no SIM card left in the tray. A Torx T-10 bit is needed to remove the case screws, but this is not for the faint of heart and I'm sure T-Mobile wouldn't approve. So, for those thinking of doing this, I would say, don't and let these pics satisfy your curiosity.

It seems to be working considerably better w/o the cover so far, but I will do more testing. I'm looking to swap one of the antenna ports for an external antenna. There are four "5G" labeled panel antennas surrounding the core. I am impressed by the build quality, but an external antenna port would be a great addition for those like me, in moderate to weak signal areas.

Name:  IMG_20210309_193656.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20210309_194411.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20210309_193842.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20210309_193717.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  71.9 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    20% Insider Hookup will return March 17th but only for existing T-Mobile customers with only Home Internet or Connected Devices like tablets and hotspots, and NO voice lines.

Device(s)
    LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    In response to a YouTube video I popped off the cover of the Gray box and it's most interesting. Note to the thrill seekers is to remove the SIM card slot first so the SIM card doesn't go flying. I was lucky and found it after realizing I had no SIM card left in the tray. A Torx T-10 bit is needed to remove the case screws, but this is not for the faint of heart and I'm sure T-Mobile wouldn't approve. So, for those thinking of doing this, I would say, don't and let these pics satisfy your curiosity.

It seems to be working considerably better w/o the cover so far, but I will do more testing. I'm looking to swap one of the antenna ports for an external antenna. There are four "5G" labeled panel antennas surrounding the core. I am impressed by the build quality, but an external antenna port would be a great addition for those like me, in moderate to weak signal areas.

Name:  IMG_20210309_193656.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20210309_194411.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20210309_193842.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20210309_193717.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  71.9 KB
    See here for a good tutorial on external-antenna mod, with pics:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobileisp/...eb2x&context=3

I just got approved for home-internet, am waiting for the Nokia 5g router. Just ordered the 2 coax pigtails (PCI on 1 end, SMA female other end).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Mini-PCI-...72.m2749.l2649

I have a double external antenna setup (11db log periodic) for my old Huawei B890 4g router (2012 mfr), I'm getting 22 Mbps down. I will move them over, & see what happens for (hopefully) increased bandwidth.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast