Thread: T-mobile 5g Michigan road trip

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

T-mobile 5g Michigan road trip

Having a 5g device, going on a trip through Michigan, I thought that I could test it out and report here.

Starting at LAX, n71 is only available at Bradley (panels visible outside near T3). T1 and T5 are LTE only. Speeds outside T5 were good... Not so much inside.

DTW north terminal was LTE only... But b4/b2 20x20 + 15/15 good for 160Mbps.

On I94/i275, indicator shows 5G, but was often actually only LTE. Note: upload in MI doesn't go beyond 50Mbps on 5G, unlike LA area.

Lot and US23 appear to be LTE only until I was near Flint, which matches coverage. Lte in those areas around Brighton/Fenton are fast anyway.

Birch Run, Clio were nothing great, speeds max around 120Mbps and not any better than LTE.

Service pretty much indicated 5G until around mile 200 then you end up roaming or really weak service until mile 188. Lg g7 typically roamed lg velvet stayed on LTE 700 with 1 bar. Antenna must be better.

West Branch and most cities north have 15-24Mbps on LTE and 50-120Mbps with 5g. Upload on all of them are typically around 10Mbps. In between most towns... LTE. Some collocated sites are 5g.

Petoskey Mi is 5g, but has only 1 site. It was god for around 180Mbps at Starbucks. Lte was good for about 120.

Charlevoix has no 5g ...even though it lists it. LTE is good for 25Mbps.

Sent from my LM-G900TM using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Storm (10+ years ago). Now a days I am using a Samsung or OnePlus flagship.
    Carrier(s)
    VZW and T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Having a 5g device, going on a trip through Michigan, I thought that I could test it out and report here.

Starting at LAX, n71 is only available at Bradley (panels visible outside near T3). T1 and T5 are LTE only. Speeds outside T5 were good... Not so much inside.

DTW north terminal was LTE only... But b4/b2 20x20 + 15/15 good for 160Mbps.

On I94/i275, indicator shows 5G, but was often actually only LTE. Note: upload in MI doesn't go beyond 50Mbps on 5G, unlike LA area.

Lot and US23 appear to be LTE only until I was near Flint, which matches coverage. Lte in those areas around Brighton/Fenton are fast anyway.

Birch Run, Clio were nothing great, speeds max around 120Mbps and not any better than LTE.

Service pretty much indicated 5G until around mile 200 then you end up roaming or really weak service until mile 188. Lg g7 typically roamed lg velvet stayed on LTE 700 with 1 bar. Antenna must be better.

West Branch and most cities north have 15-24Mbps on LTE and 50-120Mbps with 5g. Upload on all of them are typically around 10Mbps. In between most towns... LTE. Some collocated sites are 5g.

Petoskey Mi is 5g, but has only 1 site. It was god for around 180Mbps at Starbucks. Lte was good for about 120.

Charlevoix has no 5g ...even though it lists it. LTE is good for 25Mbps.

Nice report. I have been all around the Detroit metro area with mostly 5G coverage but speeds are same as LTE.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In the Detroit area, most of the 5g speed tests show up a LTE. Much of the area has typically great LTE B4/B2. They may not have much n71 deployed.
    Rural areas appear to do well on 5g, but that may also be due to little Aws/Pcs spectrum.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    One thing that has puzzled me for the last few years is T-Mobile has AWS-3 G+H blocks (10x10) in NW lower Michigan according to Spec-Omega, yet I haven't seen any AWS-3 anywhere up there. In Gaylord, they only have a single 5 MHz AWS-1 carrier deployed yet they have 5 MHz of AWS-3 H block they aren't using.

Good report though...probably not a whole lot has changed since your last visit except 5G but hopefully they fill in that area on I-75.

Enjoy your time up there aye!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    One thing that has puzzled me for the last few years is T-Mobile has AWS-3 G+H blocks (10x10) in NW lower Michigan according to Spec-Omega, yet I haven't seen any AWS-3 anywhere up there. In Gaylord, they only have a single 5 MHz AWS-1 carrier deployed yet they have 5 MHz of AWS-3 H block they aren't using.

Good report though...probably not a whole lot has changed since your last visit except 5G but hopefully they fill in that area on I-75.

It was a quick trip. A real estate shopping attempt (attempt to get out of California before it implodes, and get to some cooler Canadian like 4 seasons). LTE hasn't really changed since last June. Charlevoix 'claims' 5G, but none to be had. T-Mobile 'technical support' is clueless, and claims the T-Mobile LG Velvet 5G is incompatible with T-Mobile's 5G 600MHz NSA . They became more clueless when I asked what was 10 miles down the road (same) and my phone had 5G service there. Then to really make them have a bad day, asked why my phone showed '2G' in DTW, and I had to reset the network to have it come back to 4G LTE... in a 5G area.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    It was a quick trip. A real estate shopping attempt (attempt to get out of California before it implodes, and get to some cooler Canadian like 4 seasons). LTE hasn't really changed since last June. Charlevoix 'claims' 5G, but none to be had. T-Mobile 'technical support' is clueless, and claims the T-Mobile LG Velvet 5G is incompatible with T-Mobile's 5G 600MHz NSA . They became more clueless when I asked what was 10 miles down the road (same) and my phone had 5G service there. Then to really make them have a bad day, asked why my phone showed '2G' in DTW, and I had to reset the network to have it come back to 4G LTE... in a 5G area.
    They definitely don't know what they are talking about. It was announced they successfully achieved SA 5G CA with sub-6 5G combining n41+n71 on the LG Velvet 5G ! Link was sent to me courtesy of Checker79.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/...er-aggregation

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They definitely don't know what they are talking about. It was announced they successfully achieved SA 5G CA with sub-6 5G combining n41+n71 on the LG Velvet 5G ! Link was sent to me courtesy of Checker79.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/...er-aggregation
    It appears that they've outsourced/offshored their 'techinical support', with scripted responses for ...everything.

Feedback Score

TMO seems to have lost coverage and slowed down speed this year, in this area. I don't think it's congestion.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    TMO seems to have lost coverage and slowed down speed this year, in this area. I don't think it's congestion.
    I can't say specifically for most areas, but I-75 from Flint north is similar on 4G LTE to what I had last year, possibly a bit better (may be the device). 5G service did give a boost in areas that have little spectrum in use (West Branch, Grayling, Gaylord). Other than that - I was surprised to hang onto 'weak as hell' LTE 700 from mile 188 to 202.
    Interesting piece of that... there might be some Sprint in the area on B25. I could see on LTE Discovery instances of B25 neighbor, but never connecting. Cellmapper shows a few sites - hopefully they keep one or more and add LTE / 5G services to it. Many others are colocated - so I'd expect services to be just added to T-Mobile, and the Sprint gear removed.
    If speed has gone down (quite possible), it may be due to Sprint users now on the service.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I can't say specifically for most areas, but I-75 from Flint north is similar on 4G LTE to what I had last year, possibly a bit better (may be the device). 5G service did give a boost in areas that have little spectrum in use (West Branch, Grayling, Gaylord). Other than that - I was surprised to hang onto 'weak as hell' LTE 700 from mile 188 to 202.
    Interesting piece of that... there might be some Sprint in the area on B25. I could see on LTE Discovery instances of B25 neighbor, but never connecting. Cellmapper shows a few sites - hopefully they keep one or more and add LTE / 5G services to it. Many others are colocated - so I'd expect services to be just added to T-Mobile, and the Sprint gear removed.
    If speed has gone down (quite possible), it may be due to Sprint users now on the service.
    There are a number of Sprint sites which I hope T-Mobile keeps and upgrades. Sprint added a site in Lewiston(by the family cabin) in late 2018 as well as Atlanta/M32 where T-Mobile coverage is sparce. Hope they keep adding service.

Yep there are a few Sprint sites along 75 in that bad stretch along I-75 that hopefully they keep.

Name:  Screenshot_20201008-172902.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  45.8 KB

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Hmm. Haven't really noticed any loss of coverage but speeds are down a bit. All the carriers have slowed down a bit so not sure what issues there are.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hmm. Haven't really noticed any loss of coverage but speeds are down a bit. All the carriers have slowed down a bit so not sure what issues there are.
    Might be called... Sprint customers migrating to T-Mobile... or AT&T/Verizon customers coming on board as well.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For those wanting to test out 5g SA.. Go no further that northern MI. As much of northern Mi never deployed AWS or PCS, it appears that those areas are 5g SA only. TMobile, even though touting 5g SA dual carrier on LG Velvet, hasn't deployed 5g SA at all to and users. Places like Charlevoix and Indian River gave me LTE for this reason. Time to escalate the issue.