Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: lol.. These are budget Androids? (Galaxy S20 FE vs Pixel 5 vs Pixel 4a)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    Do any of those get updates? Security only, or full versions? I've looked at them in the past, but don't remember if I ever found that info.
    I'm on my fourth Umidigi, and the software support is hit or miss. I've gotten a few small security updates here and there, but software updates are one of the concessions you take with getting these phones at this price point. There's also no warranty or support if your phone ends up acting up.

That being said, they work fine for me, and I haven't had any serious issues with them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    Remember when top of the lines phones were $500 or less?
    Yep. not long ago. You can count the years since with a single hand.
    Yep, all the while manufacturing prices go down (R&D fluctuates between companies). The trend moves upwards because people are willing to pay them. Looking at how foldable phones aren't selling like analysts predicted, I have a feeling we're at or pretty close to the glass ceiling people are willing to pay for these things. In the last 12 years that I've used smartphones, I've never personally paid more than $350 for a new device.

Feedback Score
    Nobody ever called these budget phons. They are clearly midrange to upper midrange.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees65 View Post
    Those are not "budget" androids. Those are upper mid-range devices.
    Consider the source. Lifehacker is a bunch of 20-somethings mostly blathering breathlessly about solutions to problems that don't exist.

In their world they consider $500-$700 a budget phone because it isn't a $1,200 iPhone. Considering that they are making low five-figures writing for that online rag, that mindset is self-destructive misplaced priorities.

There is room in the market for a wide price range of phones. I have owned a range of phones from flagship to $50 Motos. A $50 Moto E5 that I got for $30 on special is my favorite. It does everything I expect of a phone. No one in my circle of friends and acquaintances gives a rat's hindquarters what phone I have. They all look pretty much the same in a case anyway.

I don't spend money on trivialities. I invest it. A phone is not an investment. It will never pay me back more than I paid for it.

5G? Don't care. Ask me in a couple of years.

Feedback Score
    I've been happy with my Pixel 3a XL, and my wife has been happy with her Pixel 3a.

We got them when they were on great sales in January, 2020, for much less than they started at.

My wife's 3a was $249 at Amazon, and my 3a XL was a $201 "Open Box Excellent", that due to an issue on Best Buy's end, ended up only being $101. Those prices are considering gift cards received with purchase as cash.

I've been very happy with my 3a XL for the price I paid, but it would have also been worth the $201 price. The camera is absolutely great, and I go 3 days between charging with around 7 hours screen on time. This was coming from a LG Phoenix 2 and then a Moto E4, neither of which had great battery life, and were definitely slower in performance.

My wife came from a Moto G4 Play. She was NOT unhappy with her Moto G4 Play, but the camera, responsiveness, and battery life are much better on her Pixel 3a.

All that to say, if something happened right now and one of us needed a new mid-range phone, we would NOT be considering a $499 Pixel 4a 5G or a $699 Pixel 5. We'd be considering a $349 Pixel 4a as a potential replacement.

The $349 Pixel 4a seems to be, at this time, the almost perfect mid-range phone, lacking only an IP rating and wireless charging, in my opinion. It has a slightly improved camera (f1.7 vs f1.8) and still great battery life, in addition to improvements in storage (128GB) and RAM (6GB).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    https://lifehacker.com/which-budget-...-fe-1845252257

Samsung Galaxy S20 FE: $700
    Google Pixel 4a 5G: $500
    Google Pixel 5: $700

these are budget??? What are they smoking?

my idea of budget Android is $50.
    Waiting for Android 9 and 3gigs ram for that price (PLEASE!).
    also, work with Mint mobile and FreedomPop
    last year I got the pixel 3a for $57. Granted that was launch promo with trading in a crappy iphone that I had laying around, and a $100 google store credit, but that was hard to beat. I guess you could argue semantics that it wasn't literally $57, but I had wanted to buy something from their store anyway, and the iphone was just collecting dust not being used.

5G phones are not really necessary NOW. It is just a flashy thing that (in my opinion) won't really need to be taken seriously until two more years at minimum.

Look for deals around black friday, cyber monday. You have to kind of show around. And periodically, google fi will run promos. For a few months this year, you could get a moto g power for like $150, just by signing up for one month of service. Those devices are unlocked so you can take it elsewhere after that month. Or you can usually buy last year's flagship for huge discounts.

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I got a clearance Motorola G7 power for $60 when the new ones came out at Walmart. I do not think they are still around at most stores. If you live in area that does not have a lot of traffic or resellers you may find one. It was not just power it was the play and the regular G7 too that went to clearance.

Sent from my SM-T290 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I have a true budget phone - ZTE Blade A3 Prime. Got it for $25 (first month subscription) through Visible’s phone swap program. Visible sells it for $99. I’m currently using it on FreeUp as a backup phone.

Feedback Score
    I got my budget Galaxy S9+ for $250.00 when Wally cleared out the old unlocked Verizon models a few months ago.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    High end phones should top out at $400 new.
    The old law of supply and demand comes to mind. Why sell a premium phone at a discounted price when enough folks are willing to pay a premium price ?
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I'd like to see a phone with emphasis placed on high-end SoC and GPU, exhaustive band coverage, outstanding GNSS radios, and plenty of RAM; and less emphasis on the camera. The same applies to the marketing. I'm tired of having to scroll through tons of babble about the camera to get to the things I actually care about.

I never use phone cameras for anything where image quality is important. I have a Nikon for that. I use phone cameras to take pictures of things like serial numbers on labels and placards, phone numbers on for-sale signs, trail markers, and occasionally products for Amazon reviews. Nothing Ansel Adams would be interested in, for sure.

But I do need power to run the navigation and mapping apps that I use, among other resource-hungry apps. That necessitates my buying high-end phones, a significant percentage of whose cost is for the high-end cameras that I don't need. I'd rather buy a phone with the latest and greatest SoC and GPU and plenty of RAM -- and no camera at all -- if that were an option.

Richard

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You are not likely to find a phone with all those features at a bargain price. Premium features/services command a premium price. Simple as that. Supply and demand is the key phrase as I mentioned already. Phone design and manufacturing isn't cheap.

I don't like paying $1000 for a phone financed over 2 years @ 0% interest any more than you do, but I know the reality of the electronics industry. Yes, there are foreign manufacturers who sell similar devices at a lower cost, but you won't get the same warranty or customer support on a phone sold by your cellular carrier.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    I got my budget Galaxy S9+ for $250.00 when Wally cleared out the old unlocked Verizon models a few months ago.
    how do you find out about these walmart clearances?
    when it gets posted at slickdeals, it's too late

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    how do you find out about these walmart clearances?
    when it gets posted at slickdeals, it's too late
    Usually Slickdeals but ya gotta be quick and it really helps to have a bunch of Walmarts in a 10 mile radius. I've gotten in on a bunch of them over the years and the best was definitely the $40.00 Huawei Mate SE's.

Feedback Score
    I know the s20 fe isn't a bargain phone. I tried the pixel 4a after my s9+ screen broke. Wasn't impressed. Fixed my s9+ screen for $40 and returned the 4a. Ended up trading it in for the Samsung Galaxy s20 FE 5g. Got a price match $100, $350 trade in, work discount, and another discount that brought it to $200 even.

Better than the pixel 4a. Compared to the s9+, better battery life and slightly faster. I don't play games. Not sure if it was worth it, but a good deal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast