Thread: Page Plus / Total Wireless Activation issues

Feedback Score

Page Plus / Total Wireless Activation issues

Just a heads up for anyone who has trouble activating with Page Plus or Total Wireless (Verizon network carriers), as I've been bitten by this more than once and there seems to be no easy way to find the answer. And Tracfone support representatives are clueless if you ask them...

When you click "Activate" on the Page Plus main screen, it asks you:
    Please enter your phone's ESN or MEID to begin.
    Enter your ESN or MEID:

However, if you do that, the signup will proceed but at the end activation will fail and you're asked to call customer service, who will have the same problems activating.

Instead, you must enter the IMEI, which is almost the same number but also has an extra check digit. Then activation will succeed.

Also, activation will fail if you try to activate a device that takes a nano-SIM with a dual Standard/Mini SIM. Even though you could cut it and make it fit!

In both cases, the error message and customer service representatives also do not know what the actual activation issue is, but this is how you resolve it.

Hope this is helpful to someone!
    Last edited by cparke; 10-05-2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: formatting issue

Feedback Score
    PagePlus isn't great about having updated all their pages from the 3G days. Don't know about TW. ESN/MEID are 3G hold overs. All carriers now go by IMEI (15 digits) on 4G phones. ESN/MEID is just an error on their page and means IMEI now.
    PagePlus needs to have someone go through their site. I could come up with a dozen errors not updated from their 3G days.

As far as your sim comments, have no idea other then cutting a sim is not the thing to do. Sims are pretty finicky about positioning.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    PagePlus isn't great about having updated all their pages from the 3G days. Don't know about TW. ESN/MEID are 3G hold overs. All carriers now go by IMEI (15 digits) on 4G phones. ESN/MEID is just an error on their page and means IMEI now.
    PagePlus needs to have someone go through their site. I could come up with a dozen errors not updated from their 3G days.

As far as your sim comments, have no idea other then cutting a sim is not the thing to do. Sims are pretty finicky about positioning.
    The problem is that the activation form accepts the MEID that it asks for rather than IMEI that is actually required, without reporting any issue. Only at the very end activation fails for an unspecified error, which leaves people like me puzzling about what's wrong.

SIM cards can be cut exactly and properly with a special hole-punch type device, and with virtually every other carrier but TF that I know of, activation is not blocked simply because the SIM is the wrong size for the device provided. I guess this is a safeguard TF created to make their system idiot-proof, but the problem again is the system does not indicate that this is the reason for failing activation nor do the customer service representatives seem to know anything about it!