Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't use my GUDP after 5pm- did something change? Grandfathered unlimited data plan

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Can't use my GUDP after 5pm- did something change? Grandfathered unlimited data plan

Hi! Grandfathered unlimited data is still NOT depriortized, right? I can't really do anything on my phone between 5-11 pm. This wasn't a problem until around June/ July, and I don't know why it changed.

Until June/July, I had been traveling between Raleigh NC and a rural area about 70 miles from there, staying a week or two at each place. No problems with connectivity at either location. Then since June I'm in the rural area only. Speed is great weekdays during the day. Nights and weekends, can't do much. Verizon is my only option for internet here.

I've already pulled the SIM, no change. Not sure what to do. Would I be better to give up the gudp and switch to the current biggest unlimited?

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S7.
    My current plan is around $100/month, broken down as follows-
    $39.99 Nationwide Talk 450
    +49.99 gudp
    +$10 messaging

My spouse has a separate account, the medium one of the current Unlimited, I think. That one slows at night, too.
    My line is using 25-35 GB the last couple months.

I get mixed up between deproiritized and throttled, but I thought gudp wasn't subject to either. Probably my knowledge is outdated. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To my knowledge, since grandfathered plans are not under contract, the carrier can change the terms of such features. I don't know what exactly happened to your feature/plan. You should reach out to your carrier for details.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screencarver View Post
    . Verizon is my only option for internet here.
    And you think that doesn't also apply to everyone else around there? Maybe everyone else is like you and using Verizon as their main internet

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    AFAIK your plan is still not subject to deprio. Maybe take a road trip in the evenings and see if your speeds are better somewhere else.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Even if the plan is not deprioritized, speeds will be slow in times of congestion. There is only so much bandwidth available.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, all. I do get mixed up between throttling, deprio, congestion, etc. And yes, it's the main internet for others around me as well. It's puzzling why it was smooth sailing until June/July though.

Thought of an experiment to see whether a different data plan would improve things: Upgrade my spouse's line to the biggest data plan for a little while. Then we'd know if it makes a difference before dropping my formerly great gudp. The gudp costs a little more a month, and now that it's less reliable I can't think of reasons to keep it. Let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    In my local market, when I used to see some nasty congestion (football games in town), when a normal line was above about 12mbps I'd see identical speeds on a derpio'ed line, 10-12mbps the deprio would start running 1 or 2mbps slower; 6-10mbps normal line I'd see about half (3-5mbps) on the deprio'ed line. It tries to maintain a 6mbps baseline for normal users, so below about 6mbps normal the deprio'ed line drops off a cliff; 5mbps normal gets about 1-2mbps deprio, below 3mbps the deprio is troublingly slow.

My guess is you are not deprio'ed, the local site is just experiencing plenty of congestion.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, that helps. Maybe it worsened around June/ July because a neighbor had just started using the service or something. Having that kind of chronic congestion, every single night and weekend, is really a challenge here. It means we only have usable internet speed on weekdays before 5. Any use reporting the ongoing congestion to Verizon? Thanks again.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, that helps. Maybe it worsened around June/ July because a neighbor had just started using the service or something. Having that kind of chronic congestion, every single night and weekend, is really a challenge here. It means we only have usable internet speed on weekdays before 5. Any use reporting the ongoing congestion to Verizon? Thanks again.
    Well, if one neighbor began using it and you were the only 2 on the site, etc., it should be cutting your speed in half, not making it tank.

In my area, with University of Iowa in town, speeds around there would drop off nights and weekends because of the 1000s of students doing bar crawls. You'd think someone getting their drink on would not be a big data sink, but live streaming, sending text, picture, and video messages, putting similar messages, videos, and pics onto social media or chat service of their choice; receiving and watching all that from their friends; and amazingly I saw a few people that were drunk enough they literally couldn't find the bar they were right next too, but they had no trouble firing up google maps and have it tell them to walk 35 feet and you're at your destination. That all burns through plenty of data .

Can't hurt to report low speeds! I mean, I doubt it'll help, VZW does monitor site performance so I'm sure they are aware of poor data speeds; but, it can't hurt either.

One thing to try, you could try repositioning your hotspot device. If you can get band 4/2 (mid band) in some location, and in another location you can't so it's getting 13/5 (low band), you'll probably get much higher speeds when it's picking up 4/2. This is very counterintuitive, but 13/5 will have a stronger signal but slower, so if you have some location where the bars "jump up", that's actually where you DON'T want it, it's jumping up because band 4 is blocked and it's using the much slower band 13.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, hwertz. Had no idea about the bands. Will check that out.

After an experiment last night, I now think the grandfathered unlimited line IS being deprioritized-- not just experiencing normal congestion.

My spouse's phone at the beginning of the billing cycle got 26mbps.
    Right after that speed test was done, and sitting in the same place, I tested mine and got only 1.8!

In the past, my gudp was not subject to deprioritization. That must have changed. I can't think of another explanation than deprioritization. Is anyone else out there with the gudp experiencing this?

Looking on the bright side, if gudp doesnt' have this advantage anymore, I need not agonize too much longer about whether to keep it. I was pretty attached to it while it was working!

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, hwertz. Had no idea about the bands. Will check that out.

After an experiment last night, I now think the grandfathered unlimited line IS being deprioritized-- not just experiencing normal congestion.

My spouse's phone at the beginning of the billing cycle got 26mbps.
    Right after that speed test was done, and sitting in the same place, I tested mine and got only 1.8!

In the past, my gudp was not subject to deprioritization. That must have changed. I can't think of another explanation than deprioritization. Is anyone else out there with the gudp experiencing this?

Looking on the bright side, if gudp doesnt' have this advantage anymore, I need not agonize too much longer about whether to keep it. I was pretty attached to it while it was working!
    To make sure that test actually shows anything, first make sure both devices are connected to the same band. She could be on a wider band 2 channel while yours was on a band 13. Not saying the test results weren't accurate or shouldn't be used as evidence of anything, just make sure the test is actually equal before drawing conclusions from it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max (personal), iPhone 12 Pro (work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (personal), Verizon (work)
    Feedback Score
    Even on a public safety plan, where data is supposedly at the absolute highest priority, the network is completely unusable here when most people are awake... and VZ claims nothing's wrong. During off peak hours, I can get 120+mbps download speeds in the same spot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb_ View Post
    Even on a public safety plan, where data is supposedly at the absolute highest priority, the network is completely unusable here when most people are awake... and VZ claims nothing's wrong. During off peak hours, I can get 120+mbps download speeds in the same spot.
    You have the highest priority during emergencies. You can expect those that are paying extra for priority data to have their data gimped so public safety can get all the bandwidth even during non emergencies. Every emergency services should be using first Net anyway. That's what it was built for.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max (personal), iPhone 12 Pro (work)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (personal), Verizon (work)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    You have the highest priority during emergencies. You can expect those that are paying extra for priority data to have their data gimped so public safety can get all the bandwidth even during non emergencies. Every emergency services should be using first Net anyway. That's what it was built for.
    That’s why I moved most of my agency’s lines to FirstNet, it actually works as intended unlike Verizon’s smoke and mirrors. 🙂 I still have a couple of VZ lines for testing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb_ View Post
    That’s why I moved most of my agency’s lines to FirstNet, it actually works as intended unlike Verizon’s smoke and mirrors.  I still have a couple of VZ lines for testing.
    Yeah because FirstNet was literally designated for emergency responders

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast