Thread: VoLTE - Action Required: Upgrade your phone to avoid a service interuption

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

VoLTE - Action Required: Upgrade your phone to avoid a service interuption

Hey everyone,

So I've been getting an email from Telus for the past several months, telling me I need to upgrade my phone to avoid a service interuption. It is related to their roll-out of VoLTE here Manitoba.

I run a Ulefone Armor X8. Awesome indestructible phone I got for less than $200. Battery lasts for days, runs Android 10, super fast, etc etc. The only downfall is its not and HD device, which I can live with.

When I access the Phone Info screen (*#*#4636#*#*), it shows the VoLTE Provisioned selection as 'On' but the selection is grayed out. I am pretty certain I am not getting VoLTE service.

Name:  Ulefone.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  62.4 KB

Here are my questions:

1. Does Telus have to do something on their end to activate VoLTE for my device?

2. Will my service be interupted if I don't do anything?

3. If my service will be interupted, and I am forced to buy a device from Telus, is that not in contravention of the Wireless Code of Conduct?

4. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Thanks!
    Terry in Winnipeg

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Your preferred network above don't list LTE, you need to enable LTE if your phone supports a compatible band first.

Telus (along with all the major providers) blocks "non-compatible" devices even if they can support VoLTE. Basically, that is any device they don't sell EXCEPT iPhones and Samsung devices from what I recall. If you call them, they may be able to whitelist your IMEI. Then you can see if VoLTE starts working, but that is dependent if your device attempts to use VoLTE, which is usually configured within the firmware per provider.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loewent View Post
    1. Does Telus have to do something on their end to activate VoLTE for my device?
    My Samsung Galaxy S9 that I bought from Koodo didn't work with Koodo's VoLTE. Go figure! After calling Koodo, visiting a Koodo kiosk, and calling Koodo again, I finally got them to add this to my account to fix everything:

Koodo VoLTE Access $0.00

(Koodo is owned by TELUS.)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Device(s)
    iPhoneSE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Phone seems to support LTE (it shows all the major bands)
    Issue is the Big3 usually do not allow VoLTE on a device unless you buy the device direct from them

https://www.gsmarena.com/ulefone_armor_x8-10493.php
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 13GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Phone seems to support LTE (it shows all the major bands)
    Issue is the Big3 usually do not allow VoLTE on a device unless you buy the device direct from them

https://www.gsmarena.com/ulefone_armor_x8-10493.php
    I recently bought 2 Motorola phones (directly from Motorola): Moto G Power, Moto G Play. I have a AT&T post paid account and both phones have VoLTE working out of the box. Sadly WIFI calling does not.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    I recently bought 2 Motorola phones (directly from Motorola): Moto G Power, Moto G Play. I have a AT&T post paid account and both phones have VoLTE working out of the box. Sadly WIFI calling does not.

How is this helpful in a thread about Telus and other Canadian providers?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition - Huawei P20 Pro

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    How is this helpful in a thread about Telus and other Canadian providers?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
    The post prior to mine stated the big 3 do not allow VoLTE on phones other than the ones they sell. I assumed he was talking about ATT, Verizon and TMobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojniles View Post
    The post prior to mine stated the big 3 do not allow VoLTE on phones other than the ones they sell. I assumed he was talking about ATT, Verizon and TMobile.

The big 3 in Canada being Rogers, Bell, and Telus.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    If I switch it to LTE if won't allow calls to be made. Just hangs up. But interestingly enough, I get LTE data speeds even tho ugh it says 4G.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    4G is LTE, only phones targeting North America say "LTE" as 4G was marketed as something else.

If you go under your SIM card settings (where you can do a network scan), do you see a toggle for VoLTE? If not, your phone probably does not have the Telus VoLTE APN/config built into it.