Thread: Red Pocket CDMA Service

Feedback Score

Red Pocket CDMA Service

I live in an area that shows on Sprint's map as getting Sprint service, however, native Sprint customers who visit the area can't get good service, and nobody who lives here sticks with Sprint for more than a month or two; they give up because connectivity is just so bad.

Verizon is really the only provider that is consistently stellar.

If I get Red Pocket's CDMA 7GB plan, is there a way to know ahead of time if it's going to be hitting Verizon's towers or trying to connect through Sprint?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCommenting View Post
    I live in an area that shows on Sprint's map as getting Sprint service, however, native Sprint customers who visit the area can't get good service, and nobody who lives here sticks with Sprint for more than a month or two; they give up because connectivity is just so bad.

Verizon is really the only provider that is consistently stellar.

If I get Red Pocket's CDMA 7GB plan, is there a way to know ahead of time if it's going to be hitting Verizon's towers or trying to connect through Sprint?
    Redpocket "CDMA" uses Verizon and only Verizon. Their CDMAS is the one that uses Sprint.

Despite it being called CDMA for Verizon you will need a Verizon VoLTE compatible phone. You cannot activate service without that. Verizon is shutting down their CDMA by 1/1/21.

Feedback Score
    I live in an area that shows on Sprint's map as getting Sprint service, however, native Sprint customers who visit the area can't get good service, and nobody who lives here sticks with Sprint for more than a month or two; they give up because connectivity is just so bad. Verizon is really the only provider that is consistently stellar. If I get Red Pocket's CDMA 7GB plan, is there a way to know ahead of time if it's going to be hitting Verizon's towers or trying to connect through Sprint?
    if you choose CDMA, you'll be using Verizon. if you choose CDMAS, you'll be using sprint. this plan is good for both CDMA Verizon - CDMAS Sprint - and GSMA AT&T - https://www.redpocket.com/plans/ebay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Redpocket "CDMA" uses Verizon and only Verizon. Despite it being called CDMA for Verizon you will need a Verizon VoLTE compatible phone. You cannot activate service without that. Verizon is shutting down their CDMA by 1/1/21.

I am using Red Pocket Verizon service now on my LG G3. It has been working well for a year now. Will this shut down affect me?

Feedback Score
    Thanks much for this information.

I currently have an iPhone 6, and I used their IMEI checker. It's coming up as a device that will work.

So basically... I'll be on borrowed time?

And is this change going to impact all Verizon-based MVNO service, and not just Red Pocket?

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smaye View Post
    I am using Red Pocket Verizon service now on my LG G3. It has been working well for a year now. Will this shut down affect me?
    Your phone does appear to support Verizon VoLTE. You can check to see if it is working by making a call & see if the LTE (or 4g) indicator remains lit. You will need to turn off Wi-fi before performing the test. Let us know what you find.

Feedback Score
    The LG G3 got the initial version of Verizon VoLTE (voice over LTE). The initial version of Verizon VoLTE is no longer compatible. The G3 is probably too old to be updated to be compatible. The only way that I know to find out if an update can be done is to try to put it on a Verizon postpaid plan and see if they can/will do the update.

Otherwise, your phone will stop working for voice, text, and 3G data by 1/1/21. I don't know if LTE data will still work.

That said, when did you activate the G3 on Red Pocket-Verizon? If you did it in the past about 18 months the phone had to be VoLTE compatible to activate and you would be good to go. Do you know if you are using VoLTE now? It might be shown in settings somewhere.

Feedback Score
    That said, when did you activate the G3 on Red Pocket-Verizon? If you did it in the past about 18 months the phone had to be VoLTE compatible to activate and you would be good to go. Do you know if you are using VoLTE now? It might be shown in settings somewhere.
    I activated it last week. Still working fine.

Feedback Score
    Thanks much for this information.

I currently have an iPhone 6, and I used their IMEI checker. It's coming up as a device that will work.

So basically... I'll be on borrowed time?
    If the iPhone 6 is Verizon VoLTE compatible, and it appears that it is, you are good to go for next year.

And is this change going to impact all Verizon-based MVNO service, and not just Red Pocket?
    This change effects all of Verizon and their MVNOs. They are flat turning CDMA off.

Feedback Score
    I activated it last week. Still working fine.
    MVNOs have not been able to activate phones for Verizon without VoLTE for about 18 months so it appears that you are good to go. I would do the VoLTE test mentioned above.

Feedback Score
    This change effects all of Verizon and their MVNOs. They are flat turning CDMA off.
    I was considering a LG G4. Or better, what specification am I looking for?