Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rogers EXT - So it's been nearly 5 years... How's your experience been with Rogers EXT?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    No. I think Bell/Telus once had a roaming agreement with Rogers in Manitoba (when Manitoba was mostly Rogers and MTS) but thatís also no longer the case. I donít think Bell/Telus ever had a roaming agreement with Rogers anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I thought EXT finally came to be because of the CRTC... Any idea how long the agreement is for?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers EXT - So it's been nearly 5 years... How's your experience been with Rogers EXT?

It did, but there wasnít any value in it for Bell and Telus since they had (and in some parts of the country, still have) superior coverage compared to Rogers. The only province where it made sense for Bell and Telus was Manitoba because Rogers (and MTS) had far better provincial-wide coverage. But now thatís changed since they all have the same coverage in Manitoba. I suspect Rogers will continue to roam on Bell and Telus for a long time...and in some areas (e.g. Newfoundland) forever as it wouldnít be economically viable for them to build out their own network as extensively as Bell/Telus. Likely far cheaper for them to just continue paying Bell/Telus to roam.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 64 GB (iOS 14.3)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Update: Decided to get a Rogers postpaid SIM and try it out... So far so good, not the fastest speeds in the world anywhere I've tested, Bell / Telus here in Montreal is always 3x-5x faster, with pings the same at about 15ms and speeds on Rogers about 40-50 Mbps while Bellus is like like 300 Mbps.

Also:
    - No inter-carrier HD voice still (what it's been like 10 years)...?
    - Network management seems a bit strange, LTE+ flickers on and off during speed tests
    - VoLTE is still Narrow Band
    - Forcing LTE band 7 only results in faster speed tests so not sure what optimization metric they're using
    HD voice interoperability is active between Rogers/Fido and Freedom Mobile. I confirmed it working with AMR-WB but only when VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling is on at both ends.

Intra-network calls are EVS and I don't know if it's narrow band or wide band. Also, HD voice works for Bell-to-Rogers calls.

Quote Originally Posted by crab9000 View Post
    I have noticed just recently I do get inter-carrier HD voice on Rogers with Freedom customers now, which is nice. Still nothing between Bellus/Rogers, which is baffling. However if you're connected to Rogers-EXT, outgoing CSFB 3G calls will be in HD voice to Bellus customers (at least last time I checked)
    HD voice interoperability definitely works both ways between Rogers/Fido and Freedom Mobile. I was curious about when it started. The earliest data point I had was myself in January 2020. I wonder if they implemented in 2019.

Also, Bell-to-Rogers calls use HD voice but not the other way around. And just like HD voice interoperability with Freedom Mobile, it too requires VoLTE/Wi-Fi calling to be on at both ends. I think eventually, it'll work both ways and I assume TELUS will get on board with it as well. Of course, TELUS is the slowest out of the Big 3. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get around to it this year at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Rogersí coverage seems to have improved, and in some areas, quite significantly. Iíve noticed this with my wifeís phone. In fact, in some places (e.g. Schomberg), Rogers has noticeably better coverage and performance than Bell/Telus. Rogers has also added a nice DAS system inside Vaughan Mills mall...Bell doesnít have one and while Bell/Telus coverage inside the mall is by no means bad, itís not as good as Rogers. There are several other indoor locations within the GTA where my wifeís Rogers device now has much better signal than my Telus device, and in some cases, she gets reception where she never did before and where my Telus device still doesnít. These are just a few examples based on recent experience. Rogers seems to be investing nicely in their network lately. Canít comment much on EXT as my wifeís phone only connected to it once in Picton ON and the experience was good.

Speed-wise within the Rogers footprint - agree that itís nowhere close to the speeds you will see with Bell/Telus. From my observations, itís exactly what you said about lack of CA. Not sure why but Rogers doesnít have CA enabled in many places and definitely not in as many locations as Bell/Telus. Actually seems like Bell/Telus has CA enabled almost everywhere. I donít know the reason why Rogers chooses not to enable it everywhere.

Iím surprised Rogers has better coverage than Telus even in Edmonton. Itís weird because Bell/Telus have way more towers and small cells all over the place in Western Canada. Noticed way more weak spots on Telus, do they have lower transmission output or something? It might be that Telus prefers to sit on higher frequencies like band 7 for the maximum speed. Iíve upgraded to a 5G phone and now I get 4 bars full signal 5G pretty much everywhere I go. Itís the 600MHz magic I think.

The only disappointment is the speeds even on 5G. I have still yet to get over 300+mbps on Rogers 5G, while I have gotten over 500mbps on Telus LTE once. https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/4187966809 Most of my speeds on Rogers 5G are actually in the 100-200mbps range, but it sometimes drops down to 50mbps. Iíve noticed that turning airplane mode on and off fixes slow 50mbps speeds, which might be a result of slower frequencies.

My dad switched out of Telus when his 5G data wouldnít work at all in random places. Could be his Galaxy S20+ being defective but Telus hasnít been helpful in diagnosing the issue.

I donít think Rogers EXT works here in Edmonton. I just get no service when I manually switch to any of the two EXT networks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhacked View Post
    I’m surprised Rogers has better coverage than Telus even in Edmonton. It’s weird because Bell/Telus have way more towers and small cells all over the place in Western Canada. Noticed way more weak spots on Telus, do they have lower transmission output or something? It might be that Telus prefers to sit on higher frequencies like band 7 for the maximum speed. I’ve upgraded to a 5G phone and now I get 4 bars full signal 5G pretty much everywhere I go. It’s the 600MHz magic I think.

The only disappointment is the speeds even on 5G. I have still yet to get over 300+mbps on Rogers 5G, while I have gotten over 500mbps on Telus LTE once. https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/4187966809 Most of my speeds on Rogers 5G are actually in the 100-200mbps range, but it sometimes drops down to 50mbps. I’ve noticed that turning airplane mode on and off fixes slow 50mbps speeds, which might be a result of slower frequencies.

My dad switched out of Telus when his 5G data wouldn’t work at all in random places. Could be his Galaxy S20+ being defective but Telus hasn’t been helpful in diagnosing the issue.

I don’t think Rogers EXT works here in Edmonton. I just get no service when I manually switch to any of the two EXT networks.
    I bought an S21 and I can say that it mis-reports the signal to be on the high end of things. My Note 10+ can continue a call and receive data in the 2nd level parking of my condo in Montreal. The S21 can't and still shows 2 bars of 4G (HSPA) while the Note 10+ shows 1 bar (and maintains it).
    Last edited by @Class; 02-06-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2