Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogers EXT - So it's been nearly 5 years... How's your experience been with Rogers EXT?

Feedback Score

Question Rogers EXT - So it's been nearly 5 years... How's your experience been with Rogers EXT?

Hi everyone.

Thinking of switching to Rogers as there seems to be much better plans floating around than Bell / Telus. How's the network and EXT network in particular these days?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My girlfriend was with Rogers until April, but Rogers never ever let her use Rogers EXT. If you’re in a Rogers coverage area, Rogers doesn’t seem to care if you have “No Service”. Until just a year and a half or so ago, the Pickering Town Centre had terrible Rogers service with the two closest Rogers towers 1.1 and 1.2 km away and lots of concrete to block the signals. In a few spots there was simply no service (and also no service for my iPhone SE on Chatr at the time). Pickering is just east of the Toronto border so no Rogers EXT is allowed.

It has been reported here too that people just north of Toronto cannot use Rogers EXT either because Rogers considers those areas to be part of their coverage area even though no Rogers towers are nearby.

If you’re outside a Rogers coverage area, people have reported that you get full access to the Bell/TELUS network.
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    At the beginning using EXT was frustrating (no 911 etc.). It has since improved greatly. I use it frequently.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    At the beginning using EXT was frustrating (no 911 etc.). It has since improved greatly. I use it frequently.
    Thanks, any warnings? Rogers has some really good corporate plans around, 50 GB (even though my typical usage in a month is about 8-15 GB, I still like the idea for the cottage).

I would like to take advantage of these plans but worry if I use my normal amount at home ~ 12.5 GB that when I do end up using 20 GB at the cottage for the month that's not covered by Rogers I'll simply be cutoff.

Anyone know more details around the timeframe or percentages of cutoff / complaints?

Edit: I mean I could theoretically use 10-15 GB at the cottage then just return home and purposely use another 25 GB on my home network but I don't know what Rogers uses to gauge it (time vs usage vs something else)...
    Last edited by @Class; 10-07-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Feedback Score
    Update: Decided to get a Rogers postpaid SIM and try it out... So far so good, not the fastest speeds in the world anywhere I've tested, Bell / Telus here in Montreal is always 3x-5x faster, with pings the same at about 15ms and speeds on Rogers about 40-50 Mbps while Bellus is like like 300 Mbps.

Also:
    - No inter-carrier HD voice still (what it's been like 10 years)...?
    - Network management seems a bit strange, LTE+ flickers on and off during speed tests
    - VoLTE is still Narrow Band
    - Forcing LTE band 7 only results in faster speed tests so not sure what optimization metric they're using

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    I have noticed just recently I do get inter-carrier HD voice on Rogers with Freedom customers now, which is nice. Still nothing between Bellus/Rogers, which is baffling. However if you're connected to Rogers-EXT, outgoing CSFB 3G calls will be in HD voice to Bellus customers (at least last time I checked)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @Class View Post
    Bell / Telus here in Montreal is always 3x-5x faster, with pings the same at about 15ms and speeds on Rogers about 40-50 Mbps while Bellus is like like 300 Mbps.
    I am really surprised at what you are saying. I see exactly the opposite. I switched from Bell to Rogers 4 months ago. I was very worried about the loss of network quality and finally, Rogers' one seems much better to me!

I have higher speeds, network coverage in several places that I didn't have with Bell.

At the time of this writing, a speed test gives me 411/60, in LTE+.

I only used the Rogers-EXT once, it was not going well, but the reception was very weak. I had around 2 Mbps. I don't know if it was limited by Rogers, limited by Bell, or if it was just that the signal couldn't allow me to do better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by olic View Post
    I am really surprised at what you are saying. I see exactly the opposite. I switched from Bell to Rogers 4 months ago. I was very worried about the loss of network quality and finally, Rogers' one seems much better to me!

I have higher speeds, network coverage in several places that I didn't have with Bell.

At the time of this writing, a speed test gives me 411/60, in LTE+.

I only used the Rogers-EXT once, it was not going well, but the reception was very weak. I had around 2 Mbps. I don't know if it was limited by Rogers, limited by Bell, or if it was just that the signal couldn't allow me to do better.
    So I've run about 3 tests in the surrounding areas right now, in the car to work again 35 Mbps without Carrier Aggregation (LTE+). Here at the office though with a test run just 300 Mbps on LTE+... Seems like the lack of CA is hurting overall speeds, but perhaps it increases network capacity / client?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers EXT - So it's been nearly 5 years... How's your experience been with Rogers EXT?

Rogers’ coverage seems to have improved, and in some areas, quite significantly. I’ve noticed this with my wife’s phone. In fact, in some places (e.g. Schomberg), Rogers has noticeably better coverage and performance than Bell/Telus. Rogers has also added a nice DAS system inside Vaughan Mills mall...Bell doesn’t have one and while Bell/Telus coverage inside the mall is by no means bad, it’s not as good as Rogers. There are several other indoor locations within the GTA where my wife’s Rogers device now has much better signal than my Telus device, and in some cases, she gets reception where she never did before and where my Telus device still doesn’t. These are just a few examples based on recent experience. Rogers seems to be investing nicely in their network lately. Can’t comment much on EXT as my wife’s phone only connected to it once in Picton ON and the experience was good.

Speed-wise within the Rogers footprint - agree that it’s nowhere close to the speeds you will see with Bell/Telus. From my observations, it’s exactly what you said about lack of CA. Not sure why but Rogers doesn’t have CA enabled in many places and definitely not in as many locations as Bell/Telus. Actually seems like Bell/Telus has CA enabled almost everywhere. I don’t know the reason why Rogers chooses not to enable it everywhere.

The other thing to consider is band 71 (600MHz) coverage. Rogers has a whopping 20MHz of it in most (all?) of the country. Telus has some but only in their RAN territory and Bell has none. Bell will need to refarm their 700MHz spectrum for low band 5G but they only have a 5MHz wide channel of it and would need to aggregate with B29 for another 5MHz on the downlink like they’re currently doing today with LTE. No idea if they’ll be able to do that for 5G. I guess we won’t know how Bell’s lack of B71 will impact 5G coverage until 5G is more mature but one would think Rogers will have the advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Speed-wise within the Rogers footprint - agree that it’s nowhere close to the speeds you will see with Bell/Telus. From my observations, it’s exactly what you said about lack of CA. Not sure why but Rogers doesn’t have CA enabled in many places and definitely not in as many locations as Bell/Telus. Actually seems like Bell/Telus has CA enabled almost everywhere. I don’t know the reason why Rogers chooses not to enable it everywhere.
    I wonder if it's somehow less efficient to offer CA everywhere like Bellus does when you take into context 3,000 phones are sitting on the same tower... Really unsure why it doesn't turn it on when demand is there for example a speed test. Pissing contests can be good reasons for clients to switch

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm, not sure. Perhaps sheytoon might know.

And yes - having the fastest speeds for bragging rights is great for marketing lol

Feedback Score
    If the bands are available, there's no reason to disable CA on the network. It's free capacity. Reasons for not getting CA could be lack of bands (radios) at the same site, or non-optimized thresholds to trigger CA.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 10-11-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    If the bands are available, there's no reason to disable CA on the network. It's free capacity. Reasons for not getting CA could be lack of bands (radios) at the same site, or non-optimized thresholds to trigger CA.
    Thanks Sheytoon, always a great reply from you.

Feedback Score
    I've been with Rogers for about 3 months now coming from Telus who I honestly don't miss, they always felt too cold of a company and didn't even negotiate at all on the way out, offered a $2 credit. My Rogers plans offers me 50 GB for less than I was paying on Telus through corporate discounts, even though I don't use that much data it's still nice to have.

The EXT network for me has been the same as if I was natively on Bell'us, excellent speeds (faster than Rogers), VoLTE, MMS everything just seems to work.

Curious though, we went on a trail this weekend and it appears to be a Rogers only area, I thought the EXT network was reciprocal. Can Bell/Telus customers not roam on Rogers in the same way?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    No. I think Bell/Telus once had a roaming agreement with Rogers in Manitoba (when Manitoba was mostly Rogers and MTS) but that’s also no longer the case. I don’t think Bell/Telus ever had a roaming agreement with Rogers anywhere else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast