Thread: T-Mobile boosts 2.5 GHz with carrier aggregation on commercial LG 5G handset

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile boosts 2.5 GHz with carrier aggregation on commercial LG 5G handset

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It will be interesting to test when 2.5GHz CA comes my way.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    So to summarize, T-Mo's demonstrated CA'ing 20mhz 600mhz and 100mhz of 2.5ghz, using standalone 5G NR.

Having at least 2xCA really is a big deal. Forget extra speeds (well, don't there's a lot of 2.5ghz there... but...)...

VZW takes advantage of 2xCA presently on their 4G in my market, my phone will be "on" band 4, but really it's CA'ed 4+13 (mid band and a low band). It's nice, instead of having anywhere possibly hold on to band 4 too long, or drop band 4 when it's still got way better speeds than 13, as the signal gets toward "1 bar" (like -112dbm or so), between there and -118dbm speeds drop to band 13-only speed (as the CA starts carrying virtually no traffic over band 4), by -120dbm it drops band 4 (so the "bars" shoot up as it shows the -85dbm or so band 13 signal.) As soon as there's a whisper of band 4 again (since there's no real downside) it shifts back to 4+13. (They do have 13, 4, 2, and 5 here, I have no idea if they use 3x or 4xCA...) As far as I know, CA (both 4G and 5G) can shift traffic every timeslot, so like 100x a second potentially.

This'd be sweet with 600mhz + 2.5ghz. Huge 2.5ghz speeds when you have good service, but no coverage issue since you have 600mhz backing it up immediately (rather than having to do a band handoff). It also would mean, in areas with spotty 2.5ghz coverage, instead of having to hand off to 600mhz in those areas (since staying on 2.5ghz and having service cut in and out, or get 1mbps or something due to low signal, would not be a good thing...), the phone can just get extra speed from 2.5ghz any instant it's coming in well enough, this'll allow 2.5ghz coverage in many areas it would otherwise not be available.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    (They do have 13, 4, 2, and 5 here, I have no idea if they use 3x or 4xCA...)
    You can be sure that they do 3CA between 4-2-13 or 4-2-5 in any order of those CC's. It's standard on all vendor software for all carriers to do 3/4/5CA when the frequencies are there. You can't CA 5/13 at all so they are limited to 3CA unless they have AWS3 or non-contiguous AWS/PCS. Same goes for T-Mobile and AT&T.

Chicago, IL‎ ----------------------------------------------------‎ ‎Duluth, MN
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL) ---------------- 4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just got off the phone with T-Mobile OEM. T-Mobile has no date for dual carrier (or even single carrier) SA on the LG Velvet 5G.
    They are going to exchange my LG Velvet 5G for a One Plus 8 5G, as it supports 5G SA.
    Doesn't make a huge diff in many urban areas, but rural... yes.

On a similar note. T-Mobile OEM has also claimed that they do not have any information as to if they will state which devices that support 5G SA on their page whether current or through future update (kinda non commit on future updates if/when). Similar for their maps - won't state which are 5G SA only. Cell mapper kinda helps here, as you can find B71 sites that have no B2/B4.
    Last edited by formercanuck; 10-15-2020 at 06:43 PM.