Thread: Losing balance on Data charges

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Losing balance on Data charges

Recently was forced to activate my old S5 to switch from the non VoltE 3g plan. Since I had a spare S5 that was compatible, I asked PP if there were any issues keeping the voice only number.

After the switch, I see 2K or sometimes more in Data usage. The phone only has ever had WiFi on. The Mobile data has never been turned ON. In fact, the mobile data was off on that phone even when activating.

I am losing a few cents here and there and the only entries in the log I see are Data.

Anyone have any experience with that? How do I stop losing balance over data which is actually disabled and has been for ever?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The only way you can disable mobile data would be to modify the APN settings stored in the phone. Wifi would still work. The phone is probably checking for system updates.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    Recently was forced to activate my old S5 to switch from the non VoltE 3g plan. Since I had a spare S5 that was compatible, I asked PP if there were any issues keeping the voice only number.

After the switch, I see 2K or sometimes more in Data usage. The phone only has ever had WiFi on. The Mobile data has never been turned ON. In fact, the mobile data was off on that phone even when activating.

I am losing a few cents here and there and the only entries in the log I see are Data.

Anyone have any experience with that? How do I stop losing balance over data which is actually disabled and has been for ever?
    PPC never had something that could be described as a "voice only number". ALL PPC plans have data available. The only exception is if you had the Standard Plan and had requested that cellular data be disabled at the account level.

This may or may not still be possible since TF took over PPC. But you could contact PPC CS and request cellular data to be disabled on your #.

Since this is probably not a common request anymore, if you get a CSR that says it isn't possible, if it were me, I'd probably try at least a few more times, just to see if a different CSR gives a different answer.

Feedback Score

Might be an older Samsung thing. I had a Galaxy S3 back in the day that would use a little bit of data occasionally no matter what I did to disable data. The data use in Settings showed Android System as what was using it.

As mentioned above, you could make the APN incorrect. That should stop it, but would be a pain to change to the valid entry if you wanted to use data occasionally. Don't know if an invalid APN would mess anything else up.

Feedback Score

Turn on Airplane mode may help, but you would not have voice calls in that state either.

Feedback Score
    This is nothing new. I've reported on it before a while back. And I don't think it's PP alone. Like clock work I see 2kb a week. I have PayGo so I see it on my usage page, but that little bit doesn't even ding my balance. And even if it did, a few cents a month. Most people have monthly plans with data and don't even notice it, that's why no one talks about it. On the Data Usage app on one of my phones it shows as the Android System app. Also keep in mind that even with data off if you do MMS it will switch on briefly without you knowing it.
    Regardless of the reason, it's not PP alone and would only be noticed by people on a PayGo plan that closely monitor their usage. I do.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Okay. Thank you for the responses. Yes. Its only a few cents and I think its only when the phone dies and you reboot it.

Airplane mode wouldn't be worth it as that will disable the calls. We do not use the phone for anything so I may just power it off and restart it every month and eat the pennies they charge. Mobile Data is definitely OFF and has been OFF on that phone for months.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    I'm too getting dinged almost every day. In some days it shows only bytes!! (I do have data enabled on the phone though)

I haven't tracked this much but I suspect I'm being charged a full MB for each one of these, aren't I?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    I'm too getting dinged almost every day. In some days it shows only bytes!! (I do have data enabled on the phone though)

I haven't tracked this much but I suspect I'm being charged a full MB for each one of these, aren't I?
    If you mean getting charged a full MB for a couple kb's (like getting charged a full minute for a portion of a minute) the answers no. I see the byte or kb in my usage report but no charge for it. It may accumulate though, since occasionally I see a mystery couple cents off my balance, but even if it accumulates to 1MB that's only 5c. I track my voice minutes and texts, and compare to my PayGo $ balance a couple times a week. It's not always right on $ wise but close enough. Again with this, I'm talking the PayGo plan.

However, if you keep data on all the time that's a totally different animal on PayGo and going to be more of an issue if you're counting. That data could be beyond the trickle seen when data's off. If you're on PayGo I'd recommend data off and only on rarely if you need to check something quick.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    If you mean getting charged a full MB for a couple kb's (like getting charged a full minute for a portion of a minute) the answers no. I see the byte or kb in my usage report but no charge for it. It may accumulate though, since occasionally I see a mystery couple cents off my balance, but even if it accumulates to 1MB that's only 5c. I track my voice minutes and texts, and compare to my PayGo $ balance a couple times a week. It's not always right on $ wise but close enough. Again with this, I'm talking the PayGo plan.
    Yes, PayGo. I thought they would round up every data session to the nearest MB and charge accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    However, if you keep data on all the time that's a totally different animal on PayGo and going to be more of an issue if you're counting. That data could be beyond the trickle seen when data's off. If you're on PayGo I'd recommend data off and only on rarely if you need to check something quick.
    I'll take a balance snapshot and turn data off on my phone and check again in a week or so to see the any data transactions and difference in balance. It's a shame they removed the cost of the transaction in the transaction history but I guess it was bringing them a lot of complains.

They removed the switches to enable/disable data (and SMS?) in their OLAM. Not sure how effective were those though.