Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop Upgrading Everyone to Premium Voice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    This web page pretty much says it all -- updated late-last week:

https://support.freedompop.com/hc/en...s/360055120873

[snip]
    I read the page a couple of times - it still does not answer when our current free plans end. Did I miss that?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    I read the page a couple of times - it still does not answer when our current free plans end. Did I miss that?
    no. it does not say. the new plans do not appeal to me at all, i plan to wait and see what happens. would not surprise me if they aggressively message, email, etc. to get people moved over but don't actually 'force' anyone for quite some time.

to be honest i have pretty much abandoned my free plan SIMs already. i do have a couple annual plans that i got at steep discounts i use for testing and experimenting. i could easily live without though. i have an unlimited iPad SIM that provides all the at&t LTE data i have practical use for.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i do have a spare 1yr SIM that i am debating whether i should activate early
    same here.
    i have a 12month plan (1gig/month LTE data) i havent used it.
    it's been sitting on my desk for 2 years

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    This web page pretty much says it all -- updated late-last week:

https://support.freedompop.com/hc/en...s/360055120873

The way it reads, everyone is losing their 200/500/200MB plan and the new plan will be 10/10/25MB and the new "FREE" plan WILL AUTOMATICALLY CHARGE YOU $8 for 500MB if you exceed the 25MB of data in a billing cycle (which is an almost certainty with any smartphone).

They've ALWAYS been a trap for the unwary, and I was misguided in thinking this might change after RED POCKET purchased them.
    i am shocked that Red Pocket has gone this sleazy 'free 25meg then $8/500meg gottcha path'.
    they have a reputation of being a decent mvno.

they should just say they're killing the freedompop free 200meg/month plan and offer a discount to migrate over to their regular plans.
    their 12month plan (500meg LTE/month) is only $60. ($5/month)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Mo-Red-Po...B/133058476404

and i hear you can get it cheaper if you wait for it to be on sale.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Are they even bothering to notify free users? I haven't heard a peep from them, neither through mail nor email, for any of my 4 accounts.
    Shawn

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm noticing this move from Tello too. They were a Sprint MVNO and recently announced that they will begin migrating all customers by the end of the year to prevent service disruptions. So I'll be getting a new SIM card to connect me to T-Mobile's network. Luckily, Tello was able to keep their rates the same, but upgrade us to offer VoLTE and perhaps even native wifi calling after we migrate to T-Mobile.

I'm watching other Sprint MVNO's to see if they make the same move. It looks like those that had agreements with other carriers are simply dropping Sprint support and those that were Sprint only have begun migrating customers to T-Mobile. (Though no other site has made any announcement, I did notice one just quietly switched to T-Mobile devices and coverage map.)
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    I'm noticing this move from Tello too. They were a Sprint MVNO and recently announced that they will begin migrating all customers by the end of the year to prevent service disruptions. So I'll be getting a new SIM card to connect me to T-Mobile's network. Luckily, Tello was able to keep their rates the same, but upgrade us to offer VoLTE and perhaps even native wifi calling after we migrate to T-Mobile.

I'm watching other Sprint MVNO's to see if they make the same move. It looks like those that had agreements with other carriers are simply dropping Sprint support and those that were Sprint only have begun migrating customers to T-Mobile. (Though no other site has made any announcement, I did notice one just quietly switched to T-Mobile devices and coverage map.)
    1. HelloMobile started by default sending T-Mobile SIM too.
    2. I see nothing on Tello web site about T-Mobile. Their ESN check is for Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    Are they even bothering to notify free users? I haven't heard a peep from them, neither through mail nor email, for any of my 4 accounts.
    Same here for my lonely ATT SIM.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    I have a free FreedomPop 200 MB data only plan. I got a SIM in the mail today with instructions to update by tomorrow to avoid service disruption. They don't seem to be offering data-only users anything special, just the same 10 minutes, 10 texts and 25 MB plan as VoIP plan users. I'm planing on not upgrading and riding out the 200 MB plan for as long as it lasts, which I suspect won't be very long.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    I wonder how many TM incompatible phones are getting TM SIMs in the mail.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I wonder how many TM incompatible phones are getting TM SIMs in the mail.
    What is TM? If you mean T-Mobile, have there been reports of FreedomPop sending out T-Mobile SIM cards to replace AT&T SIM cards?

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (iPad) / Sprint (personal phone) / AT&T MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Somehow, this thread departed from FreedomPop -- so here's a recap of what we know so far to help put it back on track:

FreedomPop is sending new AT&T SIMs to some/all subscribers, portraying this as being needed for a "free upgrade to native cellular voice". They claim the upgrade should be done by 10/15 to avoid a disruption in service. I received mine on Saturday, which is not a lot of time to make any decisions, and others living further away from their mailing address may receive them much closer to that date.

The HIDDDEN TRAP in this approach is that you need to select a new plan, and the "free" plan only provides 25MB of data and AUTOMATICALLY charges $8 for 500MB as soon as you surpass the 25MB in any billing cycle. That 500MB expires 30 days after it gets added to your account. Ask yourself, would you bother with or sign up for this plan?

The notice is a little deceptive -- it only really says they are shutting down their app / VOIP, so presumably we will lose voice at some point (which is irrelevant if using Google Voice). It's unclear whether the data lines will stop working on October 15, or some subsequent date.

I don't know enough about how AT&T deals with their MNVOs, but the this whole thing could be the result of a new contract with AT&T (or RedPocket, who bought FreedomPop, simply absorbing FreedomPop subscribers into their MVNO contract/infrastructure). Either of these could require AT&T SIMs be updated (AT&T oddly uses two different batches of SIM cards starting with 8901410 and 8901170, and every MVNO I've encountered only issued SIMs from only one series).

Feedback Score
    There has still been nothing said about the FP annual 1GB/mo and 5GB/mo prepaid plans that many people still have, or the 1GB/mo plans STILL for sale at Best Buy and Target, as far as I can see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    There has still been nothing said about the FP annual 1GB/mo and 5GB/mo prepaid plans that many people still have, or the 1GB/mo plans STILL for sale at Best Buy and Target, as far as I can see.
    that's what i'm curious to know about, i haven't used the free plans for a while.

i have a couple 1gb/month plans that i use but could easily do without, but i would hope they would be honored until expiration at least. i had until yesterday an unused 1yr SIM that i activated early to replace one that is to expire in 6 weeks.

while i do not personally use the app for talk and text would not quite be fair to those who do if it got shut down without some sort of replacement.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    I have a free FreedomPop 200 MB data only plan. I got a SIM in the mail today with instructions to update by tomorrow to avoid service disruption. They don't seem to be offering data-only users anything special, just the same 10 minutes, 10 texts and 25 MB plan as VoIP plan users. I'm planing on not upgrading and riding out the 200 MB plan for as long as it lasts, which I suspect won't be very long.
    Thanks-- not the news I hoped to hear. I have a pair of the data-only SIMs, and hoped they would get a reprieve for a while.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast