Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: FreedomPop Upgrading Everyone to Premium Voice

Feedback Score
    For the record: just activated a 1 yr 1 GB/month "old" SIM bought from Best Buy in the last month or so. Used the ott site and activation proceeded normally (as it has for my previous three previous 1 yr SIMs).

Feedback Score
    i once again did a chat to follow up. my premium SIM still not showing the plan. it was confirmed that there is an open ticket in process to move the plan and expiration date but they were able to provide no timeframe in which they expected it to be completed and assured me the old SIM would continue to work along with the VOIP APP(which i do not use at all) would continue to work in the mean time.

seems they are in no hurry at all to move people over especially those of us on the 1 yr plans as opposed to the free plan.

seems the website would allow me to request another SIM, I am tempted to do so in the hope that one would arrive preloaded.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by russsell View Post
    For the record: just activated a 1 yr 1 GB/month "old" SIM bought from Best Buy in the last month or so. Used the ott site and activation proceeded normally (as it has for my previous three previous 1 yr SIMs).
    are you planning to attempt to migrate right away to premium ? if so let us know how it goes, hopefully you have as smooth experience as last time and not what I am dealing with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    are you planning to attempt to migrate right away to premium ? if so let us know how it goes, hopefully you have as smooth experience as last time and not what I am dealing with.
    I haven't decided. This one was for my wife, whose previous one was expiring (and the one you remember I had a smooth experience with). I've installed this new "old" SIM in her phone and taken over the Premium one (to repeat, the one that you remember) to replace my 200 MB SIM, which had been meeting my needs during Covid. My wife, having used GV for quite some time now, has made no attempt to use native voice or texts with the Premium SIM despite my telling her about it. As such, I have no immediate plans to go through the effort, given what you are experiencing. It's reassuring to read from your posts that the old SIM will continue to work. I'm also curious if the Premium one will die when the corresponding old SIM dies or if the two systems are so completely separate that the Premium one will last thru late last year as munkala and I see in our account section.

My company gives me a long winter break and I'll probably revisit this at that time.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone noticed FP premium say Unlimited Everything 1 [email protected] LTE Speeds?

Feedback Score
    Wow, am I behind the times. I just noticed this thread today.

I have two 200MB voice/text/data free ATT LTE FP SIMs and one 200MB data-only free ATT LTE FP SIM. All 3 work the same as it always has. Never got anything in snail mail, never anything in e-mail and my.freedompop account login looks the same as it always has. If it weren't for HoFo, I don't think I would've ever known (I use GV rather than the FP app).

I wonder how much longer my SIMs will continue to work?

I guess with this going away plus Hangouts going away, my decision tree is getting complicated. I may end up burning one of the FP numbers on a XfinityMobile free phone promo going on right now.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmodlou View Post
    I have two 200MB voice/text/data free ATT LTE FP SIMs and one 200MB data-only free ATT LTE FP SIM. All 3 work the same as it always has. Never got anything in snail mail, never anything in e-mail and my.freedompop account login looks the same as it always has. If it weren't for HoFo, I don't think I would've ever known (I use GV rather than the FP app).

I wonder how much longer my SIMs will continue to work?
    Did you try making a Voice call while on Mobile Data?
    None of mine can make a voice call on Mobile Data. They only work on Wifi. Mobile Data works fine for everything else though.
    Shawn

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Liberty Wireless, FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    Voice calls over mobile data do work . . . but rarely. They work both ways, but only after sending a text first. Otherwise calls really don't work with any reliability.

OTOH, Wi-Fi calls always work.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    Did you try making a Voice call while on Mobile Data?
    None of mine can make a voice call on Mobile Data. They only work on Wifi. Mobile Data works fine for everything else though.
    I don't use the FP app. I only use Google Voice/Hangouts. That works as it always has.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmodlou View Post
    I guess with this going away plus Hangouts going away, my decision tree is getting complicated. I may end up burning one of the FP numbers on a XfinityMobile free phone promo going on right now.
    hangouts going away?
    WHAT???

why?
    any equivalent replacement?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    hangouts going away?
    WHAT???

why?
    any equivalent replacement?
    The end of Hangouts was announced about a year ago. You can use the GV app for calling and texts.

Why? Because Google. It's just another abandoned Google app/service.

Device(s)
    Motorolla Q9c, Droid 1 (2009), Alcatel Elevate (2016)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    The end of Hangouts was announced about a year ago. You can use the GV app for calling and texts.

Why? Because Google. It's just another abandoned Google app/service.
    When will it stop working?

and Whats the difference between Hangouts and the GV app?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine already stopped.. Can't make calls on the android hangouts app or pc web site (hangouts.google.com).

Staying on topic, I haven't received any emails/sim cards in the mail on any of the 3 active fp accts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fstuff View Post
    When will it stop working?

and Whats the difference between Hangouts and the GV app?
    It's not clear to me when Hangouts will stop working officially/completely.

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-to-...o-google-chat/ says "Starting in the first half of 2021, everyone can begin upgrading from Hangouts to Chat", while https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/15/hangouts-meet-chat/ says "Final timing, Google says, may still shift. It’s not clear, though, when Google will force everyone to migrate and shut down the Hangouts servers for good."

I've used Hangouts over data only with my two primary GV #s for 100% of my calling and messaging from my Android phones and tablet since March, 2017. I've used no real phone #s since that time.

In regards to basic function for calls and messages (using data only, in my case), the GV app will work as a replacement to Hangouts when the time comes. But so far, the GV app still needs a number of things fixed to be as good as Hangouts for my every day usage.

In the meantime, I'll keep using Hangouts for as long as I can.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Voice calls over mobile data do work . . . but rarely. They work both ways, but only after sending a text first. Otherwise calls really don't work with any reliability.

OTOH, Wi-Fi calls always work.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using HoFo mobile app
    You should use FP SIM with AT&T branded phone (even cheapest phone is OK) that supports VoLTE.

I use AT&T Radiant Core with FP Premium SIM in airplane mode while Wi-Fi calls and text are working. This phone also supports AT&T VoLTE calls too.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast