Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: T-mobile Experience

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score

T-mobile Experience

Looks like this started. Take your sprint phone into a t-mobile store. They do a process to move you over to tmobile network with the new 5g tmobile sim cards. Just FYI I'm unable to select sprint now in manual network selection

Sent from my SM-G975U using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buckspaul View Post
    Looks like this started. Take your sprint phone into a t-mobile store. They do a process to move you over to tmobile network with the new 5g tmobile sim cards. Just FYI I'm unable to select sprint now in manual network selection

With a T-Mobile SIM card, it will show as a 2nd "T-Mobile" Network under Manual Network Selection, and Band 41 still works with that.

I use it occasionally, but it's just more when i'm in a nerd mode and want to see if there's a difference in that particular spot.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    With a T-Mobile SIM card, it will show as a 2nd "T-Mobile" Network under Manual Network Selection, and Band 41 still works with that.

I use it occasionally, but it's just more when i'm in a nerd mode and want to see if there's a difference in that particular spot.
    I don't see that with s10+ just the one. Definitely will not register on sprint was just in a t-mobile gap and could see the sprint tower "emergency only"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buckspaul View Post

Is there a real benefit and reason to prematurely jump to either ROAMAHOME or a TMo SIM with a non 5G phone or an older Sprint iPhone (e.g., iPhone X)? It seems premature in fringe areas.

FWIW, as a Sprint customer, I tried the switchover to T-Mobile’s ROAMAHOME. That turned out to be a disaster for me on an iPhone X.

Living in a fringe Sprint coverage area - trending rural, TMo’s coverage has not yet arrived to my area.

I have switched back to Sprint with a replacement Casa Pebble to hold me over - anxiously waiting any substantive and incremental improvements as part of the TMo/Sprint integration.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gdrenick74 View Post
    Is there a real benefit and reason to prematurely jump to either ROAMAHOME or a TMo SIM with a non 5G phone or an older Sprint iPhone (e.g., iPhone X)? It seems premature in fringe areas.

FWIW, as a Sprint customer, I tried the switchover to T-Mobile’s ROAMAHOME. That turned out to be a disaster for me on an iPhone X.

Living in a fringe Sprint coverage area - trending rural, TMo’s coverage has not yet arrived to my area.

I have switched back to Sprint with a replacement Casa Pebble to hold me over - anxiously waiting any substantive and incremental improvements as part of the TMo/Sprint integration.
    I will say this, staying on Sprint now is more a move on luck. T-Mobile has already dismantled about a tenth of Sprint's network for conversion, especially in larger cities. I've only been able to get LTE band 41 or "3G" on my iPhone SE in Seattle. Which is weird because band 41 is the one T-Mo is supposed to be moving to 5G. I fly with Tello and they just announced that they will start migrating us all over to T-Mobile by the end of the year. By the end of next year, T-Mobile plans to have Sprints entire CDMA network shut down with parts of it being divested to Dish by mid-2021.
    https://medium.com/pcmag-access/what...s-a4f0872811fe

There's also already areas where I used to get decent service on Sprint where my phone will now have "No Service"

I should also point out, the iPhone X (or any phone released before 2018) does not have the full band support for T-Mobile, especially in rural areas. So if you are someplace more rural and you use those phones to try to use T-Mobile's network, it WILL be a disaster. More rural areas are best supported by T-Mobile's band 71 (the newer 600 MHz), which didn't get deployed until 2018, so no phones any older than that will support that band. (In more urban areas, you can easily do without bands 66/71 in a pinch, but will not give you access to T-Mobiles full nationwide network. In the more rural areas, no band 71 on your device and you won't get any service.)
    Last edited by jmac32here; 10-11-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

T-mobile Experience

@jmac32here: Thanks for the feedback. You affirmed my suspicions and experiences. [I am in central MN - 10 miles away from a 150K+ population center.] I may have to prematurely upgrade phones in the next couple of months. We shall see soon.

I am a 20+ continuous year Sprint customer. The TMo techs reverted me back to Sprint - removing ROAMAHOME from my line since it was worse.

Coverage is currently better on Sprint for me than TMo in my fringe rural/suburban area. I verified that TMo data download/upload was not as good as Sprint sometimes by 1:5 (using the free Franklin hotspot).

I am experiencing dropped calls on Sprint more than in the recent past despite TMo tech support suggesting various settings - some conflicting between techs.

For example, I have been told to turn data to 3G while the next one said 4G LTE. I have been told to have VoLTE off with another saying on.... roaming off and another roaming on,... WiFi calling off another says on. [The Casa Pebble apparently complicates this since WiFi Calling needs to be off.]

At the end of the day, TMo seems to be trying in earnest with all of the legacy devices out there.

I am thinking that I am destined to upgrade my wife’s iPhone 8 and my iPhone X sooner as we were/are trying to hold until next Fall. Not a first world issue as we still have a landline, cable/internet for now.
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 10-12-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: [Added general location, Added Casa Pebble comment]

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    Reactivated sprint sim today and back to more coverage.. at least it will switch to T-Mobile if Sprint isn't available.. and verizon cdma voice if neither is available until thats shut off at end of the year

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Check out this site and see what's around your area. Once you zoom in toward your home click the green towers to see the path and projection of the signal, maybe there is a lot of band 71 around. When I looked at the projection of band 71 in my area I was shocked as to how far it reached. https://www.cellmapper.net/

Device(s)
    IPHONE 6
    Carrier(s)
    VZW•AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So if I go get the T-Mobile sim, it will still show up as sprint? Also would it change anything on the plan? ( Features,anything?)

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    VZW•UDP-AT&T•INTL.UDP A

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    @jmac32here: Thanks for the feedback. You affirmed my suspicions and experiences. [I am in central MN - 10 miles away 150K+ population center.] I may have to prematurely upgrade phones in the next couple of months. We shall see soon.

I am a 20+ continuous year Sprint customer. The TMo techs reverted me back to Sprint - removing ROAMAHOME from my line since it was worse.

Coverage is currently better on Sprint for me than TMo in my fringe rural/suburban area. I verified that TMo data download/upload was not as good as Sprint sometimes by 1:5 (using the free Franklin hotspot).

I am experiencing dropped calls on Sprint more than in the recent past despite TMo tech support suggesting various settings - some conflicting between techs.

For example, I have been told to turn data to 3G while the next one said 4G LTE. I have told to have VoLTE off with another saying on.... roaming off and another roaming on,... WiFi calling off another says off.

At the end of the day, TMo seems to be trying in earnest with all of the legacy devices out there.

I am thinking that I am destined to upgrade my wife’s iPhone 8 and my iPhone X sooner as we were/are trying to hold until next Fall. Not a first world issue as we still have a landline, cable/internet for now.
    My suggestion is when you do the upgrade (since T-Mobile has confirmed they intend to have Sprint CDMA completely shut down by the end of next year, and the low band 850 MHz - LTE band 26 - will be turned off even sooner to be transferred to Dish) make sure your devices support the 600 MHz on T-Mobile (LTE Band 71) as that band will have the best coverage in rural areas. (Also, double check T-Mobile's coverage map to make sure they offer coverage there just to be sure. The old map used to list bands in coverage levels indoors and the like at any precise address, not sure about the new maps though.)

Sprint's Band 25 (1900 Mhz) will be re-farmed to T-Mobile LTE.
    Sprint's Band 41 (2.5 GHz) will be re-farmed to T-Mobile 5G NR.

The LTE conversions are happening nationwide as we speak. T-Mobile has thousands of engineers nationwide working nearly around the clock to complete the conversion as quickly as possible. So all Sprint phones will begin losing LTE rather quickly and become 3G only devices before even that network will be shut down.

If T-Mobile has more than 52,000 employees, you can expect around 10% of that - 5,200 - to be network techs. Though I'm not on the inside so have no idea how they company is truly structured.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T
    Feedback Score

T-mobile Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    So all Sprint phones will begin losing LTE rather quickly and become 3G only devices before even that network will be shut down.
    Sincere thanks for the details and the band re-mapping / re-farming. That info certainly helps to understand the current state and future state.

I hope that the “3G only” environment for Sprint customers with legacy pre-2018 devices is a reasonably short span of time or there is a TMo initiative to upgrade devices sooner - than too late for those who may have very limited options and no landlines. January 2021 is my hopeful marker.
    Last edited by gdrenick74; 10-12-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Sincere thanks for the details and the band re-mapping / re-farming. That info certainly helps to understand the current state and future state.

I hope that the “3G only” environment for Sprint customers with legacy pre-2018 devices is a reasonably short span of time or there is a TMo initiative to upgrade devices sooner - than too late for those who may have very limited options and no landlines. January 2021 is my hopeful marker.
    Things are happening so fast now that even Sprint MVNO's like Tello have finished talks with T-Mobile and are now in the process of "migrating" customers to T-Mobile's network. The plan for Tello is to have everything setup by the end of this year, and to have all customers on T-Mobile before mid-2021. (Devices compatible may end up getting ROAMAHOME or new SIM cards. Since I am a Tello customer, I can keep you posted as I learn more.)

Feedback Score
    Sprint's Band 25 (1900 Mhz) will be re-farmed to T-Mobile LTE.
    Sprint's Band 41 (2.5 GHz) will be re-farmed to T-Mobile 5G NR.

The LTE conversions are happening nationwide as we speak. T-Mobile has thousands of engineers nationwide working nearly around the clock to complete the conversion as quickly as possible. So all Sprint phones will begin losing LTE rather quickly and become 3G only devices before even that network will be shut down.
    Sprint phones aren't going to be losing LTE and become 3G devices as you try to claim. T-Mobile uses Multi-Operator Core Network (MOCN) to transmit a Sprint network identity on T-Mobile's B2 spectrum and Sprint B25 phones utilize that---even if the Sprint phone doesn't have B2.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Sprint phones aren't going to be losing LTE and become 3G devices as you try to claim. T-Mobile uses Multi-Operator Core Network (MOCN) to transmit a Sprint network identity on T-Mobile's B2 spectrum and Sprint B25 phones utilize that---even if the Sprint phone doesn't have B2.
    That would be true, if Sprint only used LTE band 25. However, Sprint had 3 LTE bands, and one of them was a primary band for extended range and indoor usage. LTE 25 operates Sprint's "native" PCS (1900 MHz), which doesn't do as well inside as the old Nextel bands do. So in areas like South Seattle, for instance, the network is mainly 25 and 26, but now 26 is being shut down - removing the range of Sprint's LTE network and turning devices into 3G only devices in areas where band 26 (850 MHz) were being used as the primary for range.

Band 41 is also available in more dense areas, operating on Clearwire's old spectrum (2.5 GHz) and was even more limited in range and building penetration.

I have noticed band 26 is gone from my neighborhood and I know T-Mobile will not have any reason to "emulate" that band since that part of the network is going to be divested to Dish. (Band 26 LTE was the only band that offered any real signal on the block my house is on, now I only get 3G or 1xRTT on my block and mainly only outside.)

My iPhone now only connects to bands 25 and 41 under Sprint's network.

That and T-Mobile is really pushing to "migrate" customers to T-Mobile's own native network so even MOCN is more than likely a short term fix until all customers get new SIMs/devices. Apparently as long as your device has at least 1 of T-Mobile's Extended Range LTE bands (600 or 700 MHz) and 2 other LTE bands + VoLTE, the device is considered compatible. (This may also include the new bands they got from the merger with Sprint. However only one of those bands will remain LTE. Band 41 is slated to mainly be 5G NR with a few markets getting some spectrum in LTE.)

That means many Sprint devices, and especially those made after 2018, are compatible with T-Mobile. This is allowing T-Mobile to essentially re-provision Sprint devices for use with T-Mobile SIM cards.

I can tell T-Mobile would rather move customers to their network vs continuing to emulate another network and steal spectrum from their own subscribers.
    This move is even more obvious with the announcement that CDMA will be shut down entirely by the end of 2021 and even Sprint MVNO's are being "pushed" to migrate their own customers over to T-Mobile now. (Tello, my actual carrier, has made the announcement that they will begin migrating us by the end of this year.)
    Last edited by jmac32here; 10-13-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    That would be true, if Sprint only used LTE band 25. However, Sprint had 3 LTE bands, and one of them was a primary band for extended range and indoor usage. LTE 25 operates Sprint's "native" PCS (1900 MHz), which doesn't do as well inside as the old Nextel bands do. So in areas like South Seattle, for instance, the network is mainly 25 and 26, but now 26 is being shut down - removing the range of Sprint's LTE network and turning devices into 3G only devices in areas where band 26 (850 MHz) were being used as the primary for range.

Band 41 is also available in more dense areas, operating on Clearwire's old spectrum (2.5 GHz) and was even more limited in range and building penetration.

I have noticed band 26 is gone from my neighborhood and I know T-Mobile will not have any reason to "emulate" that band since that part of the network is going to be divested to Dish. (Band 26 LTE was the only band that offered any real signal on the block my house is on, now I only get 3G or 1xRTT on my block and mainly only outside.)

My iPhone now only connects to bands 25 and 41 under Sprint's network.

That and T-Mobile is really pushing to "migrate" customers to T-Mobile's own native network so even MOCN is more than likely a short term fix until all customers get new SIMs/devices. Apparently as long as your device has at least 1 of T-Mobile's Extended Range LTE bands (600 or 700 MHz) and 2 other LTE bands + VoLTE, the device is considered compatible. (This may also include the new bands they got from the merger with Sprint. However only one of those bands will remain LTE. Band 41 is slated to mainly be 5G NR with a few markets getting some spectrum in LTE.)

That means many Sprint devices, and especially those made after 2018, are compatible with T-Mobile. This is allowing T-Mobile to essentially re-provision Sprint devices for use with T-Mobile SIM cards.

I can tell T-Mobile would rather move customers to their network vs continuing to emulate another network and steal spectrum from their own subscribers.
    This move is even more obvious with the announcement that CDMA will be shut down entirely by the end of 2021 and even Sprint MVNO's are being "pushed" to migrate their own customers over to T-Mobile now. (Tello, my actual carrier, has made the announcement that they will begin migrating us by the end of this year.)
    Quite a few of "recent" phones actually support at a minimum of Band 12 700MHz.. Anything from the Samsung S6 and up, iPhone 6s and up - which are arguably going to be the mass majority of phones on Sprint's network

It's not going to be full-on-doom as you claim, they'll just shift usage to B12/25/66 and that'll be the end of that.

The phones that do not support it are going to be a small base, and maybe the holdouts still using PTT devices, or some corp/government accounts still holding onto PC cards/old hotspots, or people with cheap-o $100 phones.. which refurb are cheap to swap out for some Alcatel-ish model.

iPhones will auto-configure after getting a T-Mobile SIM, Pixel devices will also auto configure, anything S8+ will auto configure.. S6/S7 will require a firmware update pushed to do VoLTE.. but I doubt T-Mobile will bother as there cannot be many of those left anyway.

I actually have an unlocked Samsung S6 here, that works *mostly* with T-Mobile other than VoLTE.. but gets Band 12/4-66/2-25 no problem on T-Mobile's LTE. It just makes phone calls on 2G/3G when the T-Mobile SIM is inserted.. but again, could easily be fixed with a small firmware patch by T-Mobile.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast