Thread: Firstnet...some technical questions MR1001A1NAS Hotspot

Feedback Score

Firstnet...some technical questions MR1001A1NAS Hotspot

Hi all,

I really want to optimize my Firstnet experience. Firstnet and AT&T have not been much help.

I am a first responder who is using the subject hotspot along with an RT-AC68P router in my home. Things work pretty well. I average somewhere between 35MBPS & 40 MBPS with no external antenna and ping times aren't bad. I cannot help wondering if things would be any better if I had the MR1100-2A1NAS and access to Band 14. To my knowledge, no way to update the MR1100-1A1NAS to 2A1NAS specs exist.

Would I do any better by upgrading to a MR1100-2A1NAS which would be a pricey upgrade? Still I have quite a few bandwidth consuming items on this network and every bit helps.

The MR1001A1NAS is one that I purchased from Netbuddy before they went belly up and before I became a first responder and found out about Netbuddy. I then found out that I am on a tablet plan with a phone number associated to it after calling Firstnet a few times they seemed really confused about it. They mentioned that I should get that corrected as that in itself might be hurting my bandwidth but we both kind of walked away from the conversation that might do more damage than good. Still, they said that this scenario might eventually cause me to lose service as automated sweeps are done. Any thoughts on what to do here?

Bellow is a Cellmapper print screen of my location. I *guess* that selecting AT&T mobility was the right thing to do from the Provider pulldown? My location is annotated by a blue dot near the enter of the screen at the bottom.

Also, I hear that the Black Firstnet sim card which I have in the Mr1000 is somehow inferior to Orange one. Is that accurate?

Also, FWIW, the antennas having Channel 14 on the right hand side are off of I-95 in the Exurban DC area. Not sure if that makes a difference in getting things figured out. I would imagine that alot of folks use those antennas when traffic backs up which is becoming more and more common as time goes on.

Additionally, when I spoke with FirstNet they claim that their antenna locations are confidential and they could not tell me where they are. Is that accurate?

Finally, I hear that 5g is available at my address, FirstNet claims that MR1001A1NAS is 5g ready but that not configuring my device/plan is slowing me down. Is that right?

Thanks for your help!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 8925
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    And I thought I was a nerdy cop?. Nothing more to offer. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    WOOOOT!

I am not just a Cop, I am a techie too! Calling me a nerd! Wow!

Device(s)
    ATT Tilt 8925
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I embrace my nerdness/geekness.

On a semi unrelated note. How's firetnet been on your phone? I've not gone to it yet. But several of our guys who did reported way slower speeds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dchaney297 View Post
    I embrace my nerdness/geekness.

On a semi unrelated note. How's firetnet been on your phone? I've not gone to it yet. But several of our guys who did reported way slower speeds.

That's right. I am a downright dork!!

I have never done FirstNet on a phone. I just run BoostMobile on a family plan. For my purposes, running just one phone on FirstNet and cutting the discount on my existing Boost family plan makes no sense.

I just run the hotspot for internet. I can tell you that it is worlds better than it was as Netbuddy with the same device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ukiltmybrutha2 View Post
    Hi all, I really want to optimize my Firstnet experience. Firstnet and AT&T have not been much help. I am a first responder who is using the subject hotspot along with an RT-AC68P router in my home. Things work pretty well. I average somewhere between 35MBPS & 40 MBPS with no external antenna and ping times aren't bad. I cannot help wondering if things would be any better if I had the MR1100-2A1NAS and access to Band 14. To my knowledge, no way to update the MR1100-1A1NAS to 2A1NAS specs exist. Would I do any better by upgrading to a MR1100-2A1NAS which would be a pricey upgrade? Still I have quite a few bandwidth consuming items on this network and every bit helps. The MR1001A1NAS is one that I purchased from Netbuddy before they went belly up and before I became a first responder and found out about Netbuddy. I then found out that I am on a tablet plan with a phone number associated to it after calling Firstnet a few times they seemed really confused about it. They mentioned that I should get that corrected as that in itself might be hurting my bandwidth but we both kind of walked away from the conversation that might do more damage than good. Still, they said that this scenario might eventually cause me to lose service as automated sweeps are done. Any thoughts on what to do here? Bellow is a Cellmapper print screen of my location. I *guess* that selecting AT&T mobility was the right thing to do from the Provider pulldown? My location is annotated by a blue dot near the enter of the screen at the bottom. Also, I hear that the Black Firstnet sim card which I have in the Mr1000 is somehow inferior to Orange one. Is that accurate? Also, FWIW, the antennas having Channel 14 on the right hand side are off of I-95 in the Exurban DC area. Not sure if that makes a difference in getting things figured out. I would imagine that alot of folks use those antennas when traffic backs up which is becoming more and more common as time goes on. Additionally, when I spoke with FirstNet they claim that their antenna locations are confidential and they could not tell me where they are. Is that accurate? Finally, I hear that 5g is available at my address, FirstNet claims that MR1001A1NAS is 5g ready but that not configuring my device/plan is slowing me down. Is that right? Thanks for your help!!!!
    see this thread here - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mob...6/td-p/1553448

Feedback Score
    Thanks, I have skimmed through that thread in the past ad nauseum but it really does not answer all of my questions.

Feedback Score

AT&T Firstnet...Some Technical Questions MR1001A1NAS Hotspot

Quote Originally Posted by ukiltmybrutha2 View Post
    ...I really want to optimize my Firstnet experience. Firstnet and AT&T have not been much help.

I am a first responder who is using the subject hotspot along with an RT-AC68P router in my home. Things work pretty well. I average somewhere between 35MBPS & 40 MBPS with no external antenna and ping times aren't bad. I cannot help wondering if things would be any better if I had the MR1100-2A1NAS and access to Band 14. To my knowledge, no way to update the MR1100-1A1NAS to 2A1NAS specs exist.

Would I do any better by upgrading to a MR1100-2A1NAS which would be a pricey upgrade? Still I have quite a few bandwidth consuming items on this network and every bit helps.

The MR1001A1NAS is one that I purchased from Netbuddy before they went belly up and before I became a first responder and found out about Netbuddy. I then found out that I am on a tablet plan with a phone number associated to it after calling Firstnet a few times they seemed really confused about it. They mentioned that I should get that corrected as that in itself might be hurting my bandwidth but we both kind of walked away from the conversation that might do more damage than good. Still, they said that this scenario might eventually cause me to lose service as automated sweeps are done. Any thoughts on what to do here?

Bellow is a Cellmapper print screen of my location. I *guess* that selecting AT&T mobility was the right thing to do from the Provider pulldown? My location is annotated by a blue dot near the enter of the screen at the bottom.

Also, I hear that the Black Firstnet sim card which I have in the Mr1000 is somehow inferior to Orange one. Is that accurate?

Also, FWIW, the antennas having Channel 14 on the right hand side are off of I-95 in the Exurban DC area. Not sure if that makes a difference in getting things figured out. I would imagine that alot of folks use those antennas when traffic backs up which is becoming more and more common as time goes on.

Additionally, when I spoke with FirstNet they claim that their antenna locations are confidential and they could not tell me where they are. Is that accurate?

Finally, I hear that 5g is available at my address, FirstNet claims that MR1001A1NAS is 5g ready but that not configuring my device/plan is slowing me down. Is that right?...
    I am in a somewhat similar situation as you. However, I retired from sworn work a couple of years back. Sadly, I am not surprised that AT&T/FirstNet have not been much help.

What is your signal strength? If you are rocking all bars, give this no further thought. If you aren't getting all bars of signal strength, you may want to give some further thought to an external antenna. That, however, may or may not help. While I do agree that the MR1100-2A1NAS is a better choice, I bought both of my MR1100-2A1NAS devices used, so I don't know how the others compare.

With regard to the AT&T/FirstNet antenna locations, yes, they consider them to be "confidential" and typically won't release that information to the general public. However, you can get that information by other means. http://www.antennasearch.com/ is one of many ways to get that information. The FCC database is another https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Asr...tionSearch.jsp

It is interesting that they are telling you that device is 5G ready. I was under the impression that it is not 5G capable.
    It looks to me as if the MR5100 is 5G capable, but it is an even pricier upgrade, still!
    https://www.att.com/buy/connected-de...pro-black.html
    https://www.netgear.com/home/product...rs/mr5100.aspx

My understanding of the SIM card colors is that they indicate black for FirstNet and orange for AT&T. If the tower has ample capacity, it may not matter. However, FirstNet users get priority over AT&T users. For home internet, personally, that would not concern me.

I have been using my MR1100-2A1NAS for home internet until a week ago. I just went to $50 unlimited T-Mobile Home Internet, which is faster than AT&T at my location--for now.

I have been eyeing up the MR5100, but $500 is a lot of money. Plus, I am not sure if I have 5G at my location, yet.