Thread: Something is going on between Red Pocket and T-Mobile

Feedback Score

Something is going on between Red Pocket and T-Mobile

You can no longer renew an annual plan directly on Red Pocket's website. You have to buy it on eBay and use a pin. Most of the higher data plans have changed for the better. But the plans under a GB no longer offer T-Mobile to new customers! You can no longer get a "gsmt" sim.

It took two exchanges with c/s for them to confirm the ebay pin will work for renewal. So I guess for the time being I am "grandfathered" on gsmt. I really don't want to get my number ported to AT&T; that's the kind of change RP invariably messes up initially. Obviously RP is still in business with T-Mobile since most of the more expensive plans still offer gsmt but something has changed and not for the better.

OTOH, RP's Sprint only $30/yr plan remains the best deal anywhere for light users. Data has been doubled to 200 MBs/month along with 100 minutes and 1000 texts. Not long ago on paygo 200 MBs of data would have cost $20!

Sent from my SM-T307U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Depending on usage patterns, the Tracfone ebay $30 deal going on now (1200/1200/3 GB) is also a strong contender, and available on multiple networks.

Carrier(s)
    H20
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    Depending on usage patterns, the Tracfone ebay $30 deal going on now (1200/1200/3 GB) is also a strong contender, and available on multiple networks.
    What deal is that now?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjr1105 View Post
    What deal is that now?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Pr...97.m4902.l9144

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by philovance View Post
    You can no longer renew an annual plan directly on Red Pocket's website. You have to buy it on eBay and use a pin. Most of the higher data plans have changed for the better. But the plans under a GB no longer offer T-Mobile to new customers! You can no longer get a "gsmt" sim.

It took two exchanges with c/s for them to confirm the ebay pin will work for renewal. So I guess for the time being I am "grandfathered" on gsmt. I really don't want to get my number ported to AT&T; that's the kind of change RP invariably messes up initially. Obviously RP is still in business with T-Mobile since most of the more expensive plans still offer gsmt but something has changed and not for the better...
    I agree, Red Pocket seems to be slowly de-emphasizing T-Mobile. On the Red Pocket Website only the $10, 15 and $40 plans are available on T-Mobile, $20 and $30 used to be, but no longer are.

On eBay, the $60 500 MB, 100 min, 100 text 360 day plan says it's "available on "Any major network" but when you try to order T-Mobile is not an option. For some eBay plans T-Mobile SIMs are "out of stock", yet T-Mobile SIMs are available for other plans.

The T-Mobile plans are Red Pocket's least competitive and Red Pocket has had issues with T-Mobile before. In June, 2015 T-Mobile cut off Red Pocket customers with only 2 days warning https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post15940514. In February, 2016 Red Pocket resumed offering T-Mobile. I suspect there's some kind of a dispute between the two companies again.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malet View Post
    But once the purchase by Verizon is complete, customers are likely to be pushed to the Verizon network. There are strong financial incentives now to increase the Verizon numbers.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. But I have more phones than lines. Back to only Prepaid with the changes in the economy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    But once the purchase by Verizon is complete, customers are likely to be pushed to the Verizon network. There are strong financial incentives now to increase the Verizon numbers.
    That’s true, but given the actual purchase is still a ways off, I think it’s still worth considering.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    I agree, Red Pocket seems to be slowly de-emphasizing T-Mobile. On the Red Pocket Website only the $10, 15 and $40 plans are available on T-Mobile, $20 and $30 used to be, but no longer are.

On eBay, the $60 500 MB, 100 min, 100 text 360 day plan says it's "available on "Any major network" but when you try to order T-Mobile is not an option. For some eBay plans T-Mobile SIMs are "out of stock", yet T-Mobile SIMs are available for other plans.

The T-Mobile plans are Red Pocket's least competitive and Red Pocket has had issues with T-Mobile before. In June, 2015 T-Mobile cut off Red Pocket customers with only 2 days warning https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post15940514. In February, 2016 Red Pocket resumed offering T-Mobile. I suspect there's some kind of a dispute between the two companies again.
    Not to mention the huge multinational MVNE Plintron who at a minimum provision RP's sims and who I suspect is T-Mobile's actual wholesale customer. If Plintron also provides chat and phone support out of India that means RP is more or less mostly a crappy website and marketing. Looking at the capabilities of its strategic partner RP may not have a lot of say in carrier arrangements.

Speaking of T-Mobile specific issues, I gather that Liberty Wireless is a newish RP brand with the least expensive 1GB monthly plan at $10. I'm pretty sure T-Mobile is the carrier but I looked all over the LW website and couldn't find any mention of it. Not even the usual section on BYOD compatibility.

Strange.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    ...I gather that Liberty Wireless is a newish RP brand with the least expensive 1GB monthly plan at $10. I'm pretty sure T-Mobile is the carrier but I looked all over the LW website and couldn't find any mention of it. Not even the usual section on BYOD compatibility.

Strange...
    https://prepaidcompare.net/profiles/...-wireless.html
    Liberty Wireless Profile
    Founded: 2009
    Network: T-Mobile
    Approx Number of Lines: 5,000.
    Taxes collected: point of sale (sales tax, etc.) only. Typically under 10%.
    Support Hours: M-F 9am-8pm ET S-S 10am-7pm ET

LW has at least 2 eBay plans. UTT no data $60 + state taxes for 360 days. And UTT 1GB hardcapped $100 + state taxes for 360 days.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Not to mention the huge multinational MVNE Plintron who at a minimum provision RP's sims and who I suspect is T-Mobile's actual wholesale customer. If Plintron also provides chat and phone support out of India that means RP is more or less mostly a crappy website and marketing. Looking at the capabilities of its strategic partner RP may not have a lot of say in carrier arrangements.

Speaking of T-Mobile specific issues, I gather that Liberty Wireless is a newish RP brand with the least expensive 1GB monthly plan at $10. I'm pretty sure T-Mobile is the carrier but I looked all over the LW website and couldn't find any mention of it. Not even the usual section on BYOD compatibility.

Strange.

Liberty Wireless shares a PO Box with Cintex Wireless, a Lifeline provider. The Liberty Wireless eBay store's design seems to be plagiarized from Red Pocket's eBay page but I haven't been able to find any evidence that Red Pocket and Cintex/Liberty have common ownership. Have you?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Liberty Wireless shares a PO Box with Cintex Wireless, a Lifeline provider. The Liberty Wireless eBay store's design seems to be plagiarized from Red Pocket's eBay page but I haven't been able to find any evidence that Red Pocket and Cintex/Liberty have common ownership. Have you?
    I take your point; Liberty is not "owned" by RP. *However*, given that the graphics for both Liberty and RP are identical on ebay, I'm theorizing that Plintron is the common denominator. I doubt there is plagiarism on Liberty's part. I'm guessing it's more a paint by numbers approach to marketing employed by an MVNE they have in common. I already know Plintron provisions at least some of RP's gsmt sims because mine identifies "Plintron" as the carrier rather than RP or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Given that Ting dropped T-Mobile for getting fined for not meeting growth numbers, it's apparent that T-Mobile isn't as MNVO-friendly as Verizon these days. It's becoming quite apparent while comparing rates between the different MNVO's that Verizon offers better rates to their partners with more lax growth goals.

Feedback Score
    All Red Pocket Annual plans are sold thru EBay. I have been looking at the Annual 20gb plan running on AT&T. The issue with that is Red Pocket and others can't seem to do VoLTE on BYOD android devices even ones Whitelisted by AT&T.

Sent from my SM-T510 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Further research indicates that Liberty Wireless is serviced not by Plintron but another MVNE, PWG, who are actually based in the US.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk