Thread: ATT’s Debt Hampers C-Band Aspirations: Still Seeks a Sale of DirecTV

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

ATT’s Debt Hampers C-Band Aspirations: Still Seeks a Sale of DirecTV

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Sigh, I wish AT&T simply focused on wireless and not try to play catch up during the heyday of the quad play madness. With the U.S. economy in the doldrums, nobody is going to want touch an asset that consumers don't really want or can't afford.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You make good points.

Between asset sales and layoffs I believe ATT trying to earn enough ca$h to compete in the upcoming auction even though some analysts are less bullish.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    True, but the DirecTV purchase was a bad idea to begin with, they have struggling with their subscriber count ever since they purchased it, even when times were good.

I think mainly because of the cost of service and the equipment needed when you compare to services like Roku, Apple TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney + etc...which require very little or none in terms of equipment setup. AT&T would have been better if they developed their own in-house service and strike deals with Amazon, Disney + etc for content...as opposed to buying DirecTV and dealing with more costs associated with labor, infrastructure and jumping into a business they really don't have experience in.

The only smart things they have done in the last 10 years is shed their residential landline assets and expanding their wireless business into Mexico...

If DirecTV gets sold, then I expect that this will get sold at a loss.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    The only smart things they have done in the last 10 years is shed their residential landline assets and expanding their wireless business into Mexico...
    Where did they sell off landline service? They still own almost the entire system in California which came from the old Pacific Bell. My U-verse Internet comes over those wire lines.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7 and a iPhone 6s and 4 and a fire hd8
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    True, but the DirecTV purchase was a bad idea to begin with, they have struggling with their subscriber count ever since they purchased it, even when times were good.

I think mainly because of the cost of service and the equipment needed when you compare to services like Roku, Apple TV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney + etc...which require very little or none in terms of equipment setup. AT&T would have been better if they developed their own in-house service and strike deals with Amazon, Disney + etc for content...as opposed to buying DirecTV and dealing with more costs associated with labor, infrastructure and jumping into a business they really don't have experience in.

If DirecTV gets sold, then I expect that this will get sold at a loss.
    They still provide landline in Indiana beacuse of the old infrastructure from Ameritech.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    They still provide landline in Indiana beacuse of the old infrastructure from Ameritech.

I actually miss Ameritech.. they were fairly forward thinking and i'm sure we'd have been in a much better spot if SBC/"The New AT&T" did not get involved.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Where did they sell off landline service? They still own almost the entire system in California which came from the old Pacific Bell. My U-verse Internet comes over those wire lines.
    CT to Frontier Communications
    PR/USVI (wireless and landline) to Liberty Latin America and others as required by the U.S. DOJ. Expected to close soon once the required divestitures have been made.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 mini, iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon (Spectrum Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    I actually miss Ameritech.. they were fairly forward thinking and i'm sure we'd have been in a much better spot if SBC/"The New AT&T" did not get involved.
    Agreed. Nearly 20 years later, and there is plenty of infrastructure still present in the field with Ameritech labels. Almost all of the original ADSL expansion locally happened under them and the first few years of SBC leadership. It's remarkable that as much of that equipment has literally weathered 15 years of service with little to no replacement. But also disappointing that so little of that aging tech isn't being upgraded or replaced.

Seems like everything ground to a halt 2006-2007, right around when SBC absorbed AT&T, began expanding outside of the telco business and focusing less on local services. We saw ADSL2+ come in, a little bit of U-verse/VDSL...and then virtually nothing for the past 8-10 years. Unless you're in one of the few select MDUs with AT&T Fiber, you're probably either eligible for 6 Mbps ADSL or you can't even get landline internet from AT&T at all.