Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest way to get data with Tracfone?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score

Cheapest way to get data with Tracfone?

I have a Tracfone line that has thousands of minutes, texts and service days, but is running really low on data. The data use fluctuates between 1GB to 4GB in a month. It's in the peak periods that becomes expensive.

I wouldn't mind buying a monthly plan that gives a lower rate per GB, but there is nothing lower than $10 ($30/mo unlimited T&T plan w/3GB). Maintaining this line with no promo codes working for me is becoming expensive and I'd hate to forfeit all I have in minutes, texts and days if I see no other choice than to porting this number to somewhere else.

With the promo codes not working for some of us to get the 500MB bonus when purchasing the 1GB data add-on, what would be the cheapest way to buy data for a tracfone? (Hopefully something that doesn't require going though hoops and loops to achieve).

Device(s)
    Moto G Plus, Moto E4, ZTE Blade Max 3
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I'm in the same situation. Seems that there is nothing better than a 5% discount as part of using an Amazon, Walmart, or some similar credit card rebate.
    I have a son in the military, and I maintain his TracFone so he has one less worry. I had to inform him that he needed to move to another service if he couldn't refrain from his recent heavy data usage ($70, or 7 data cards in one month). I sent him a Mint one week trial SIM, which gave him fairly poor service in the areas of southern CA where he is stationed. He has been reprimanded in the past for not being glued to his cellphone when his superiors wanted to contact him...as many of us in the private sector are expected to do...so he is hesitant to use another MVNO. So he agreed to use his data a little more sparingly, or take over the account himself. His phone has a service expiration date in 2027, so it would be a heavy loss if he ported his number and lost the account. But with the importance of data nowadays, and the resistance of TracFone to follow the industry and discount data use, I can't see keeping a TracFone account if you can get usable unlimited data in the $30 or so ballpark. My phone has a 2025 expiration date and I am considering a move as well, because my workplace will not allow the unwashed masses (non-salary workers) access to company WiFi.
    Until enough of us dump TracFone after we add up those $10 cards and total the bill, nothing will change IMO.

Feedback Score
    OP I think you're stuck unless you're willing to up your price point & move away from TF.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    You should be able to get 1.5 GB data for $10 using a promo code, but that is about the best you will find. Warning, there have been numerous reports of promo codes not working properly a few weeks ago, including the extra data promo codes. Tracfone still owes me $50 for one that showed as working then I got charged the full amount.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatblues View Post
    You should be able to get 1.5 GB data for $10 using a promo code, but that is about the best you will find. Warning, there have been numerous reports of promo codes not working properly a few weeks ago, including the extra data promo codes. Tracfone still owes me $50 for one that showed as working then I got charged the full amount.
    Sounds like OP has run into the same problem as I have. Those 7 data cards that I referenced in my earlier post...I was unable to use any of the three known bonus codes with those purchases. I was able to use code 69458 this month, haven't tried to use it a second time yet. It had been several months since I could use a code on that phone. My personal phone still accepts codes, so I don't know if there is some sort of max limit imposed on their use. And there's the joy of dealing with Customer Service if a code appears to be accepted but doesn't show up in the Transaction Summary, as you probably well know.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone rewards referral code XQOQ-9C34 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members.
    Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Device(s)
    LG Q6, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Use the tool at this site:https://prepaidcompare.net/ . Plug in your typical monthly usage and it'll show the best prepaid plans. As a test, I put in 200 talk minutes, 500 texts, and 7GB of data (not my real usage). Lots of choices for $20-$25 per month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    ...I wouldn't mind buying a monthly plan that gives a lower rate per GB, but there is nothing lower than $10 ($30/mo unlimited T&T plan w/3GB)...
    Folks OP wants the GBs for less than $10 a month. So not happening.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen this prepaid service comparison before. Note that they snub the TracFone family of companies, save for Page Plus. Surprised to see AT&T with an 8gb data plus unlimited talk/text plan at $25/mo...it would be hard to go with an MVNO at that price, except that AT&T service is not what it used to be, I have co-workers who cannot get a usable signal in our break room since this past summer. Verizon seems to be the best coverage overall here, but at a significantly higher price, making that Net10 one year plan very tempting.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave940 View Post
    Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen this prepaid service comparison before. Note that they snub the TracFone family of companies, save for Page Plus. Surprised to see AT&T with an 8gb data plus unlimited talk/text plan at $25/mo...it would be hard to go with an MVNO at that price, except that AT&T service is not what it used to be, I have co-workers who cannot get a usable signal in our break room since this past summer. Verizon seems to be the best coverage overall here, but at a significantly higher price, making that Net10 one year plan very tempting.
    What site snubs the TracFone companies? If it's mine, I want to fix it so please explain what the issue is. Thanks.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    What site snubs the TracFone companies? If it's mine, I want to fix it so please explain what the issue is. Thanks.
    I used your site, and it included NET10 and Tracfone in the results. They didn't win, and TF was not near the top of the price sorted results, but they were in the results.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    I used your site, and it included NET10 and Tracfone in the results. They didn't win, and TF was not near the top of the price sorted results, but they were in the results.
    That's how prepaidcompare.net is supposed to work. The results are sorted by lowest cost based on your specified requirements. Please explain why you think prepaidcompare.net isn't working correctly. Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Folks OP wants the GBs for less than $10 a month. So not happening.
    OP here.
    Yes, I wanted to know if someone knew a way to get data on TF for less than $10/1GB. But as you said, it seems it's not possible.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions about doing comparison shopping and going somewhere else. I'm aware of those choices, and if the data use cannot be not decreased in that line, I might be forced to jump ship and forfeit all the thousands of minutes, texts and service days I have already paid for.

The promo codes were making the cost of data a little more palatable, but as I said, those are not working for me lately.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    My apologies. Must have made a mistake, turns out that the site does return pretty much any prepaid I've ever heard of. It's a great resource!

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave940 View Post
    My apologies. Must have made a mistake, turns out that the site does return pretty much any prepaid I've ever heard of. It's a great resource!
    Thanks rechecking and confirming the site is working OK with no bias for or against any operator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast