Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hotspot no longer working on Tracfone multiple ATT sims!!??

Feedback Score

Hotspot no longer working on Tracfone multiple ATT sims!!??

Hi, I am wondering if others are having this issue.
    I have 2 unlocked samsung android phones, both with ATT sims. I use the hotspots on both often.
    As of yesterday, The hotspots will connect with my laptop, but there is no internet connection.
    On the laptop, the connection status IPv4 says internet is connected, but the IPv6 says no internet.
    The Laptop will not connect to any website. The data works perfectly on each phone by itself, but not on hotspot.
    I also tried to connect to the hotspots using each phone with same result: Phones will connect to the hotspot, but no internect connection.
    Any Ideas?
    Theories, concepts, or facts are appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chanoman View Post
    Hi, I am wondering if others are having this issue.
    I have 2 unlocked samsung android phones, both with ATT sims. I use the hotspots on both often.
    As of yesterday, The hotspots will connect with my laptop, but there is no internet connection.
    On the laptop, the connection status IPv4 says internet is connected, but the IPv6 says no internet.
    The Laptop will not connect to any website. The data works perfectly on each phone by itself, but not on hotspot.
    I also tried to connect to the hotspots using each phone with same result: Phones will connect to the hotspot, but no internect connection.
    Any Ideas?
    I have never gotten Hotspot to work with a TF/AT&T sim. But, it did work with a TF/T-Mobile sim. That is no longer true. I get the same connection with no internet status as you are getting with AT&T. I can only guess either TF or the carriers have cracked down as
    Hotspot use is prohibited under TF toc.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone doesn't allow tethering of any kind, so I think they finally just caught up to you.

Feedback Score
    does hotspot still work if you use a Verizon sim ??

Feedback Score
    There's been mention in other threads about this including with a vzw sim. I think it's as mentioned above. Unless you have a plan that allows HS they're probably catching up with those that do it without an allowed plan.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I've been using hotspot on BYOP ATT sims & unlocked phones with no issue since Tracfone BYOP began. I'm not on any plan, not a heavy data user, I buy everything as I go, and pay for the data per GB, so why they care how I choose to use it is beyond me. This may be a Tracfone ending deal breaker for me if I can't find a work around. Very disappointing. I was one of the first, if not the first to report Tracfone smartphone BYOP on the forum and have been a happy smartphone customer since. I guess everything ends eventually. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks again! Chano

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    does hotspot still work if you use a Verizon sim ??
    Hi, My phones are GSM only, so no recent experience with CDMA Verizon. I was able to use Hotspot a couple years ago on CDMA Galaxy S3 with Foxfi app on Verizon.

Feedback Score
    I've been using hotspot on BYOP ATT sims & unlocked phones with no issue since Tracfone BYOP began.
    I am surprised AT&T would allow hotspot on any MVNO. They don't allow much of anything.

Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    My son and I tried hotspot on our AT&T SIMs this week and it didn't work. Thankfully it had worked in August after we had a huge storm and had no internet for 3 days. Since I am working from home it was the only way I could work that week. I had never used hotspot before. I told my son we aren't supposed to have hotspot but he wanted to try it for something to do with a video game. I'll probably have to get him on a different service at some point because of this.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I've been using hotspot on BYOP ATT sims & unlocked phones with no issue since Tracfone BYOP began. I'm not on any plan, not a heavy data user, I buy everything as I go, and pay for the data per GB, so why they care how I choose to use it is beyond me. This may be a Tracfone ending deal breaker for me if I can't find a work around. Very disappointing. I was one of the first, if not the first to report Tracfone smartphone BYOP on the forum and have been a happy smartphone customer since. I guess everything ends eventually. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks again! Chano
    As mentioned many times before in many forums and threads HS/Tethering is expressly not allowed per the T&Cs unless specifically part of your plan on any carrier. Even Verizon direct has plans that don't allow HS without an additional charge. Yes many have been and may still be doing it and know this. I've even snuck it in on occasion. That doesn't make it ok even if it worked, or the carrier evil if they begin to enforce. I'm sure it's tied to the agreement they have with the network (ATT,TM,Vzw).
    "But Officer, I've been doing 85mph on this 45mph stretch for years, it's not fair you're enforcing it now."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatblues View Post
    My son and I tried hotspot on our AT&T SIMs this week and it didn't work. Thankfully it had worked in August after we had a huge storm and had no internet for 3 days. Since I am working from home it was the only way I could work that week. I had never used hotspot before. I told my son we aren't supposed to have hotspot but he wanted to try it for something to do with a video game. I'll probably have to get him on a different service at some point because of this.
    AT&T Prepaid includes tethering up to the included data limit. My wife is on the $25/30 days, paid $300/360 days, AT&T Prepaid plan. There are a variety of plans available, including unlimited, although I'm not sure what the tethering policy is on the AT&T Prepaid unlimited plan.

Visible is unlimited everything, including tethering, for $25/mo with Party Pay. But there's an official 5Mbps speed limit for tethering, although I don't think it's officially enforced, and some areas experience deprioritization. Also, some people report high latency, so it might not be good for gaming.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Plus, I do not see this in any of the comments.

Like the other Tracfone's other companies that support hotspot and AT&T towers, they say "Hotspot not authorized with AT&T compatible SIMs." So if Tracfone did supports hotspot, that might be in the fine print.

Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    AT&T Prepaid includes tethering up to the included data limit. My wife is on the $25/30 days, paid $300/360 days, AT&T Prepaid plan. There are a variety of plans available, including unlimited, although I'm not sure what the tethering policy is on the AT&T Prepaid unlimited plan.

Visible is unlimited everything, including tethering, for $25/mo with Party Pay. But there's an official 5Mbps speed limit for tethering, although I don't think it's officially enforced, and some areas experience deprioritization. Also, some people report high latency, so it might not be good for gaming.
    I saw that $300 one last night. With Tracfone promo codes seemingly no longer working the price doesn't seem too bad given the extra features and more data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatblues View Post
    I saw that $300 one last night. With Tracfone promo codes seemingly no longer working the price doesn't seem too bad given the extra features and more data.
    My wife switched from a postpaid T-Mobile business account. For her particular usage, she primarily gave up unlimited international 128Kbps data, but the annual cost savings will pay for an international data SIM/eSIM plan with money to spare if/when we're able to travel internationally again 2 to 3 weeks annually, and she kept the most-important-to-her feature, roaming in Canada. She uses a Pixel 3a, so her phone supports AT&T "HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling".

The full "Service capabilities for your unlocked device" list is at: https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf

Device(s)
    LG G7 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    My wife switched from a postpaid T-Mobile business account. For her particular usage, she primarily gave up unlimited international 128Kbps data, but the annual cost savings will pay for an international data SIM/eSIM plan with money to spare if/when we're able to travel internationally again 2 to 3 weeks annually, and she kept the most-important-to-her feature, roaming in Canada. She uses a Pixel 3a, so her phone supports AT&T "HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling".

The full "Service capabilities for your unlocked device" list is at: https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/con...TT-Network.pdf
    Hmmm..the AT&T plan is looking even more attractive. It has unlimited rollover data which I didn't notice last night and there is $40 cash back from RetailMeNot with activation on a new account.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast