Thread: Just want your opinion about iphone SE 1stGEN VS iphone 12 mini in T-mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Just want your opinion about iphone SE 1stGEN VS iphone 12 mini in T-mobile.

Maybe I should ask in the iphone section but they are more concern with apple vs android.

I have as my primary an iphone SE (1st gen) and being thinking about iphone 12 mini. I only care about the size... I could of upgraded to iphone 7 if size mattered 4-5 years ago. I asked my kids for their opinion, one of them ask me to borrow my truck, the other one was hungry.. and my wife has the iphone 11.. so I didnt get an answer

just your opinion, should I or someone upgrade from iphone se (1st gen) to the iphone mini?

I care about: ecosystem, ios 14 and size.. .. wow, I think thats it.

I DO NOT care about: cameras nor pics nor videos, 5G, gaming, the way you unlock it, cpu or gpu or download speed, coverage and definitely not androids..

What I use in daily basis: apple card, apple pay, icloud drive, airpods, airpods pro, carplay, imessage, facetime and T-Mobile.

I am pretty sure iphone SE 1st gen will not run ios 15. So my future or future proof is only.. one year. T-mobile 5G still in diapers and 4g-LTE is everywhere. I really dont care about coverage, I can live without signal for weeks.

Thank you.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Visible
    Feedback Score
    Why don’t you get the new SE? Sounds perfect for you.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For one... no LTE Band 71 on original iPhone SE.
    On the upside... 3.5mm headset jack
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    For one... no LTE Band 71 on original iPhone SE.
    On the upside... 3.5mm headset jack
    I do use the 3.5mm every now and then, I do use bluetooth alot.. thats why i have the airpods and the pros. As per band 71 .. you are right... it doesnt have 71, how is 71 play in texas... in the next year i will be mostly in Texas.. we do have 2 ,4 ,12 and I dont think they will go away soon. will it?

The iphone SE 2020 is bigger.. too big I would say, is just like the iphone 7 and 11 .... I think the iphone X is smaller in size.. same bands, hey how about going to a X ... .. that or just buy another iphone se 1st gen 128gigs just to hold off until iphone 13 ....

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    Maybe I should ask in the iphone section but they are more concern with apple vs android.

I have as my primary an iphone SE (1st gen) and being thinking about iphone 12 mini. I only care about the size... I could of upgraded to iphone 7 if size mattered 4-5 years ago. I asked my kids for their opinion, one of them ask me to borrow my truck, the other one was hungry.. and my wife has the iphone 11.. so I didnt get an answer

just your opinion, should I or someone upgrade from iphone se (1st gen) to the iphone mini?

I care about: ecosystem, ios 14 and size.. .. wow, I think thats it.

I DO NOT care about: cameras nor pics nor videos, 5G, gaming, the way you unlock it, cpu or gpu or download speed, coverage and definitely not androids..

What I use in daily basis: apple card, apple pay, icloud drive, airpods, airpods pro, carplay, imessage, facetime and T-Mobile.

I am pretty sure iphone SE 1st gen will not run ios 15. So my future or future proof is only.. one year. T-mobile 5G still in diapers and 4g-LTE is everywhere. I really dont care about coverage, I can live without signal for weeks.

Thank you.
    5G in general, regardless of carrier, is still "in diapers" but T-Mobile's is a bit older than the rest being the first to nationwide and all that.
    (BTW, I love that analogy and will use it to turn my husband against a 5G phone for a couple years.)

I personally just got the 2016 SE for Tello (Sprint MVNO, soon to be T-Mobile) and have found it rather enjoyable to use... even though the battery is tiny and needs to be charged a couple times a day.

I plan on keeping it at least a couple years.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    5G does help deep indoors speed wise. I know in Chicago there's a few buildings I used to get flat No Service on T-Mobile.

There is LTE on Band 71, but it's usually crawling along at less-than-3G speeds, but 5G is getting ~50Mbps in that same spot.

I've been carrying a OnePlus 8 to play with the 5G to see if I want too bother swapping my 11 Pro Max (I usually keep them about 5yrs).. but the 5G has made a big side by side difference, especially in fringe areas.

I'd just do the 12 so you're future-proofed for at least 5-6yrs.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I suspect that a lit of the 5g coverage/performance is also due to lack of users currently using 5g. Give it a year. N71 will saturate, and effective range will be less. Similarly, N41 will come into play for capacity

Sent from my LM-G900TM using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Having B71 will help in rural areas of Texas and surrounding states. B71 and B12 are the long range bands that will be useful in lesser populated areas.

The iPhone X does not have B71, only generations after it (Xr, Xs, 11, 2ndSE and 12). I also don't expect the iPhone X to have more than another year or two of OS support. Who knows for sure, but 5 years tends to be the norm with Apple and the X is on year 3.

For the size you want, with the bands that will be best and OS support, your choice is basically the 12 Mini. Even the 2nd gen SE is the size of the 8, quite a bigger than the 1st SE.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Feedback Score

Sure, it's only slightly larger than the SE.

Height: 4.87 inches vs. 5.18 inches
    Width: 2.31 inches vs. 2.53 inches.

And it has all of the current bands.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I suspect that a lit of the 5g coverage/performance is also due to lack of users currently using 5g. Give it a year. N71 will saturate, and effective range will be less. Similarly, N41 will come into play for capacity

Sent from my LM-G900TM using HoFo mobile app
    That's correct but as network usage shifts around, and if one plans to keep the phone for several years.. you will still want access to both networks as I'm certain that AWS and PCS will also slowly be refarmed for 5G in the coming years.

Not to mention, it can CA with LTE bands, kinda like DOCSIS does with 3.1/3.0 channels now on the cable modem side. You get the best of both networks with a 5G device

Feedback Score
    Get 2020 se

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Yes time for an upgrade go for the 12

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Yes time for an upgrade go for the 12
    Thank you, i have been reading everyones post.. aboud bands, sizes, specifications, future proofing.
    So its the third day that i have been carrying a oneplus 7T mclauren 5g and my iphone se. Both have signal 100%, i have not seen my SE with no service, Austin TX and surroundings (Hill country - Rural) using cellmapper. Iphone is often in bands 2,4,12. And the oneplus 5g loves to hang around in 71 and 66 with sporadic drops to band 12.
    Im still thinking about it, the upgrade will be nice... even nicer if tmobile will give some incentive or money off.

Feedback Score
    even nicer if tmobile will give some incentive or money off.
    I expect the incentive for the iPhone 12 Mini will be similar to the current one for the iPhone12.