Thread: Rogers vs Telus 5G in Edmonton, AB?

Feedback Score

Rogers vs Telus 5G in Edmonton, AB?

I'm a current Telus customer considering switching to Rogers EPP once the new iPhone 12 Pro Max is available for preorder and it's a good deal. I've been on the Bell/Telus network for many years, like 7-8 years.

For years, I've been led by people online to think that Bell/Telus has the superior network. One incident that led me to doubt that was when both Rogers and Freedom have installed a new cell tower 5-10 minutes south of me, while Telus still haven't. For years, I got no service inside the Superstore in Heritage Valley Town Centre until last December. In December I was magically able to get 1-2 bars indoors and 3 bars outside the Superstore. Either way, it seems that both Rogers and Freedom are faster to respond to suburban network expansions compared to Telus.

One anecdote I also have is that Telus does seem to have way more cell towers in Edmonton, especially the more central areas. In some central areas they have what seems like small cells literally every block! https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html I'm on Telus, and while coverage is fine, there are of course weak spots I encounter. I've had two people online tell me that Rogers actually has better coverage in Edmonton. Is this true? Years ago when the etryu map posted transmission power, I did notice that Rogers has a higher output compared to Telus. I guess that makes up for the lower tower density.

Anyway, one reason why I'm considering switching to Rogers is the EPP deals. My employer is eligible for EPP through Rogers and Telus. I made the mistake of switching from Koodo to Telus early. So to get the Telus EPP now, I have to pay the $50 conversion fee plus the $40 activation fee. My current plan is $65 for 10GB unlimited on Telus. Noticed through the EPP portal that it is $63.75/mo for 20GB unlimited on Rogers. Plus getting the new iPhone 12 Pro Max financed through Rogers would be cheaper than Apple's MSRP, I assume.

Also with 5G, Rogers seems faster than either Bell or Telus at expanding the network? My dad is on Telus with his Galaxy S20+ 5G and complains that 5G coverage isn't so good and it switches to LTE pretty often. I do want the best network with the best coverage and speed, which is why I'm a bit hesitant on switching from Telus.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Rogers 5G is mostly DSS, except where there is native n41 coverage (usually downtown cores only). With DSS, it is sharing spectrum with LTE and 5G, so speeds will suffer for both LTE and 5G. It also increases LTE interference, reducing network performance. Since its a software only feature for most of their newer Ericsson network components, it is just a matter of flipping a switch for them.
    Telus does not use DSS, they use native 5G. That's why coverage is so dramatically different.

As for speeds, it really depends on where you live and who has the closest tower, and that is almost the luck of the draw at that point. Telus has more spectrum than Rogers, so they can aggregate more bandwidth. However, that doesn't help if you have very low signal and a Rogers tower much closer.

Feedback Score
    In addition to what zivan said, I would add that output power is generally the same for Telus and Rogers. The data coming from ISED is not accurate and the RRUs have similar limits between Huawei and Ericsson. From a network design perspective, it doesn't make sense to max out RRU power all the time. It depends on channel bandwidth, inter site distance and the frequency band. In urban areas you would be interference limited, and in rural areas you would be uplink limited. Increasing RRU power wouldn't help either of those scenarios as it would cause interference in the former, and loss of uplink in the latter.

Another point I would make is that currently there's no improvements with 5G in Canada. Telus LTE peak speeds will beat Rogers 5G. And even Rogers LTE should be faster than Rogers 5G. Of course coverage is very location dependent, so just go with the provider with the best coverage for you.

The benefits of 5G will take time to materialize. For peak speeds, we need n77 or n78 in Q3 of 2021. For latency improvements and network slicing, we will need a 5G core with a mature 5G Standalone (SA) ecosystem.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers, Telus, Bell
    Feedback Score
    Have Rogers rolled out n71 yet? I’m guessing it would not be dss, and could improve speeds in harder to reach locations because of the big chunk of that spectrum they have. However, from what I understand 600 MHz doesn’t offer any material change in coverage area vs 700 MHz.

Feedback Score
    Is Rogers using DSS on n71? I haven't heard of people being able to access B71 LTE on Rogers.

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Rogers has n71 and yes it is DSS, at least in Metro Vancouver.

B71:

Note the centre frequency is only 2.25MHz apart.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhacked View Post
    For years, I've been led by people online to think that Bell/Telus has the superior network. One incident that led me to doubt that was when both Rogers and Freedom have installed a new cell tower 5-10 minutes south of me, while Telus still haven't. For years, I got no service inside the Superstore in Heritage Valley Town Centre until last December. In December I was magically able to get 1-2 bars indoors and 3 bars outside the Superstore. Either way, it seems that both Rogers and Freedom are faster to respond to suburban network expansions compared to Telus.
    From my experience, Bell/Telus used to have a far better network than Rogers around my area (North GTA) but the gap seems to be closing rather quickly. Rogers has been on a network expansion spree over the last year and a half or so. I’ve seen many new sites installed, and antennas and radios upgraded on existing sites. I haven’t seen very much activity from Bell and Telus over the past year but they did invest aggressively years ago while Rogers did nothing. Speed-wise, I still clock anywhere from 5x-10x faster on my Telus device than my wife does on her Rogers device, but coverage is a different story. Both of us have good and bad spots, but lately my wife seems to have stronger reception in more and more places...in some cases (especially indoors), stronger than me. There are also a few locations where neither of us had reception but now she does and I still don’t.

Go with whichever carrier is better for you in the locations you most often find yourself in. No carrier is perfect but it’s nice to see Rogers really stepping up to improve their network because it has been neglected for far too long.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    So far my impression with the Rogers network is mostly positive. Some weaker spots where TELUS would be stronger. Some stronger spots where TELUS would be weaker. It's fast, just not as fast as TELUS (500+mbps max). I've gotten anywhere from 100-300+mbps. Only issue is the Ookla Speedtest app seems to prefer Rogers servers in Vancouver with the lowest ping, and Edmonton servers have a higher ping for the speed test... Anyone know why it is like this in Edmonton? Does Rogers have nothing for Edmonton unlike Telus?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamhacked View Post
    So far my impression with the Rogers network is mostly positive. Some weaker spots where TELUS would be stronger. Some stronger spots where TELUS would be weaker. It's fast, just not as fast as TELUS (500+mbps max). I've gotten anywhere from 100-300+mbps. Only issue is the Ookla Speedtest app seems to prefer Rogers servers in Vancouver with the lowest ping, and Edmonton servers have a higher ping for the speed test... Anyone know why it is like this in Edmonton? Does Rogers have nothing for Edmonton unlike Telus?
    Maybe Rogers doesn't have a core presence in Alberta, and the closest P-GW is in Vancouver.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Believe it or not, Vancouver is fairly new. A few months back, all my Rogers traffic would go through Toronto (I am in Vancouver), so speedtest would always pick an Ontario server, and local servers had very high pings.

Feedback Score
    I now see Albertan Rogers servers on Ookla Speedtest since last week or so.

I got the iPhone 12 Pro Max when it came out (November 13th), and 5G is nothing ground-breaking. I've had times where 5G is actually slower than LTE at the same spot and same time. Pings are still around 30-40ms as well. Maybe it is just Rogers...