Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 5G Nationwide Speed Test Thread

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score

5G Nationwide Speed Test Thread

My first 5G test on my home site - which is about .7 miles away LOS. Definitely better than 4G on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. 5G download is about 15 Mbps better, and ping is about 10 ms better. Some of this could be due to the superior radio in the 12 vs 11.

Field Test is definitely broken. No 5G info, and LTE shows bandwidth at “12”, where it’s really “5”.

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max using Tapatalk
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoWirelessGuru View Post
    My first 5G test on my home site - which is about .7 miles away LOS. Definitely better than 4G on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. 5G download is about 15 Mbps better, and ping is about 10 ms better. Some of this could be due to the superior radio in the 12 vs 11.

Field Test is definitely broken. No 5G info, and LTE shows bandwidth at “12”, where it’s really “5”.

Which LTE band are you connected to?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    The download frequency for 975(e/u/arfcn) would be PCS/B2 if that info is correct.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Impressive latency

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    That could well be right, I mean the PR is all about 850mhz DSS 5G but as far as I know Verizon's DSS is on all bands but 13 so (if you have those bands in your market) I'd expect you could see n5 (850mhz cellular), n2 (PCS 1900mhz) and n66 (1700/2100mhz extended AWS).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    From what I’ve noticed on my other phone (Pixel 5), the “5G” symbol doesn’t display when connected to LTE Band 5, but it does when connected to B2 (as shown in my previous screenshot), and Band 4. But as we know, sub-6 GHz 5G only runs on Band n5 right now. I don’t know if the Speedtest app displays 5G only when truly connected to n5, or just mimics what the phone icon shows.

I’ve noticed since 5G has launched that the phone connects to Verizon’s measly 5 MHz of LTE B2 here much more often.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    From what I’ve noticed on my other phone (Pixel 5), the “5G” symbol doesn’t display when connected to LTE Band 5, but it does when connected to B2 (as shown in my previous screenshot), and Band 4. But as we know, sub-6 GHz 5G only runs on Band n5 right now. I don’t know if the Speedtest app displays 5G only when truly connected to n5, or just mimics what the phone icon shows.

I’ve noticed since 5G has launched that the phone connects to Verizon’s measly 5 MHz of LTE B2 here much more often.

From what I've seen, the Speedtest app displays 5G when the phone is actually utilizing NR. Now, some have said that it will display.'5G' when the Upperlayer Indicator/Release 15 is active but I have found that not to be 100 accurate. I have some tests that show 5G with Rel-15 active but was actually on LTE. I ran a few tests last night on AT&T in which it was the opposite. My phone was utilizing n5 but Upperlayer Indicator was inactive and the Speedtest result showed LTE. Weird huh?

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Name:  83853CFF-8633-4BC3-83C7-C6FFDB7F909C.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  23.9 KB

Earlier today while being driven down the highway at 80 mph, I encountered a 5G signal despite being in area where it officially hasn’t been deployed yet. I bet it’d have been even faster if I’d been stationary!

Device(s)
    Droid Turbo
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon updated their 5G map and it seemed like the Tampa Bay area overnight lost a bunch of coverage, according to the map. In the areas where there is 5G my phone rarely connects. Samsung S20+
    Last edited by weatherchannel; 11-28-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Feedback Score

5G on non standalone need to reply on a LTE carrier to function so it obviously going to use band 2 or band 4. Seem Verizon is pretty spectrum poor in Reno. I'd probably be using someone else

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Seem Verizon is pretty spectrum poor in Reno. I'd probably be using someone else
    Where Verizon falls behind AT&T in mid-band spectrum here (30 vs 50 MHz download), they make up in macro density (69 vs 49 towers) covering approximately 425,000 population.

Once they launch the various 3 GHz spectrum bands, Verizon should be far superior here.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    That could well be right, I mean the PR is all about 850mhz DSS 5G but as far as I know Verizon's DSS is on all bands but 13 so (if you have those bands in your market) I'd expect you could see n5 (850mhz cellular), n2 (PCS 1900mhz) and n66 (1700/2100mhz extended AWS).
    I know a lot of people don’t like DSS and yes it does have downfalls but DSS has one huge advantage. It eliminates the need for spectrum re farming. With DSS enabled Verizon would be truly able to use 100% of their spectrum for LTE and 5G (once n13 gets developed and becomes a thing) at the same time.

This eliminates having chunks of spectrum that are deployed but unused. With Verizon limited spectrum holdings they need to use all their spectrum all the time. It also give flexibility as more 5G devices get into the network then the network can adapt in real time.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Where Verizon falls behind AT&T in mid-band spectrum here (30 vs 50 MHz download), they make up in macro density (69 vs 49 towers) covering approximately 425,000 population.

Once they launch the various 3 GHz spectrum bands, Verizon should be far superior here.
    Unless Reno is #76 PEA so it will Dec 2023 before Verizon can deploys any C-band they get there. Maybe mid 2022 Verizon can deploy any 3450-3550 MHz spectrum they get at auction next year

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone been able to find hard data on the capacity of LTE only versus the same amount of spectrum shared between LTE and 5G using DSS? I would assume that the latter has more capacity because of the spectral efficiency gains of NR and because if it didn’t then Verizon and AT&T wouldn’t bother.

Device(s)
    Pixel 5, Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Has anyone been able to find hard data on the capacity of LTE only versus the same amount of spectrum shared between LTE and 5G using DSS? I would assume that the latter has more capacity because of the spectral efficiency gains of NR and because if it didn’t then Verizon and AT&T wouldn’t bother.
    The primary purpose of DSS is to (hopefully) make a smooth transition from LTE to 5G. Carriers world wide from Vodafone to Swisscom and others are using it too. If carriers had "gobs" of dormant spectrum laying around there would be no need for DSS.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast