Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 5G Nationwide Speed Test Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post
    The primary purpose of DSS is to (hopefully) make a smooth transition from LTE to 5G. Carriers world wide from Vodafone to Swisscom and others are using it too. If carriers had "gobs" of dormant spectrum laying around there would be no need for DSS.
    With mmwave and even with c-band there won't be a need for DSS not that either are used for 4G but even if they did there still wouldn't be. I'm sure Verizon will use it on CBRS when they can use CBRS for 5G also. Though if Verizon picks up some 3450-3550 MHz spectrum in next year's auction would you need to dedicate any CBRS for 5G?

Feedback Score
    Has Verizon stated any plans to bring 5G Nationwide to any more cities by the end of 2020? I know they stated they’re going to bring 5G UWB to a few more cities by the end of the year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    Has Verizon stated any plans to bring 5G Nationwide to any more cities by the end of 2020? I know they stated they’re going to bring 5G UWB to a few more cities by the end of the year.
    I was told by someone( who has given out correct info in the past )that Verizon plans on adding 20 million more people by the end of 2020

Feedback Score
    At present, 5G speed capacity in New York has gradually increased to the previous 50Mbps

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 HoFo

Feedback Score
    I have a factory unlocked S20+. I live in the suburbs of Seattle. My 4G gets about 30mbit/s download, 10mbit/s upload at my home. Apparently the factory unlocked models haven't got the firmware update from Samsung (or rumors it comes with Android 11) to use Verizon's "5G Nationwide" which is essentially 4G frequencies but with Dynamic Signal Sharing (DSS). I found out on Reddit, there's a hack to enable the N5 band on the phone prior to getting the necessary firmware update. You type into the phone *#272*your IMEI# then Select ATT > Install > Change Network Code only. Phone reboots and waalaa, LTE+ indicator changes to 5G UW. I did 3 bandwidth tests, 3 on LTE+, 3 on 5G, and the speed average at my home location was almost identical, about 30mbit/s download.

Isn't it widely accepted the non-millimeter 5G is not significantly faster than 4G LTE+? Ookla Speed Test Stats show Verizon LTE speeds averaging in the 30's. You people posting 120 mbit+ speeds, do you just happen to be in areas that have had way higher than average LTE speeds all along, or did you actually see a huge difference of 2X or 3X speeds going from LTE to 5G sub 6? The thing missing in this thread is people's BEFORE tests.

The problem with their UW network is really it's only available in like 0.5% of the country right now. What a marketing scam for them to announce "Nationwide 5G" back in mid-October. 95% of their customers aren't even going to understand they are getting about the same speed as 4G LTE in all but a very few small city areas until Verizon upgrades their Nationwide 5G to use more dedicated mid-spectrum instead of sharing with the existing 4G spectrum.

What I'm wondering is, did Verizon go even farther with their deceit in making all phones show a UW indicator next to 5G no matter if they are connected or not connected to millimeter wave? Or does the UW indicator go away when you're not connected to a millimeter wave tower? We don't even have millimeter in downtown Seattle right now as far as I know, it's in Spokane! Crazy. So I can't test it. So I'm not sure if my carrier network hack to use ATT to enable N5 band has a side effect as showing my 5G as UW all the time, or, if it's Verizon, falsely advertising I'm connected to UW. What a bunch of marketing BS these guys pull on unknowledgeable consumers just to get more customers and sell more new phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by consultant1027 View Post
    I have a factory unlocked S20+. I live in the suburbs of Seattle. My 4G gets about 30mbit/s download, 10mbit/s upload at my home. Apparently the factory unlocked models haven't got the firmware update from Samsung (or rumors it comes with Android 11) to use Verizon's "5G Nationwide" which is essentially 4G frequencies but with Dynamic Signal Sharing (DSS). I found out on Reddit, there's a hack to enable the N5 band on the phone prior to getting the necessary firmware update. You type into the phone *#272*your IMEI# then Select ATT > Install > Change Network Code only. Phone reboots and waalaa, LTE+ indicator changes to 5G UW. I did 3 bandwidth tests, 3 on LTE+, 3 on 5G, and the speed average at my home location was almost identical, about 30mbit/s download.
    How is using an att setting going to work on Verizon?

Isn't it widely accepted the non-millimeter 5G is not significantly faster than 4G LTE+?
    lowband 5G. when Verizon get a hold of CBAND that will be faster than 4G. Just like T-Mobile's 2.5 GHz is faster than 4G

Ookla Speed Test Stats show Verizon LTE speeds averaging in the 30's. You people posting 120 mbit+ speeds, do you just happen to be in areas that have had way higher than average LTE speeds all along, or did you actually see a huge difference of 2X or 3X speeds going from LTE to 5G sub 6? The thing missing in this thread is people's BEFORE tests.
    I do not have a 5G phone. I have Pixel 2XL so not exactly new either. I can get over 100 Mbps in the day and I have gotten over 240 Mbps in the middle of the night. I'm abut 3/4 mile from the tower

The problem with their UW network is really it's only available in like 0.5% of the country right now. What a marketing scam for them to announce "Nationwide 5G" back in mid-October.
    Not a scam. According the the industry advertising standards all a company needs to do is cover 200 million people. Nationwide does. We can disagree and their standard being so low( I would have it as 250 million at least ) but it is what it is and Verizon meets the standard

95% of their customers aren't even going to understand they are getting about the same speed as 4G LTE in all but a very few small city areas until Verizon upgrades their Nationwide 5G to use more dedicated mid-spectrum instead of sharing with the existing 4G spectrum.
    it's been known for over year when T-Mobile launched it own lowband 5G a year ago that lowband 5G is the same speed as 4G. Dedicated mid band won't be available until Dec 2021 and only in 46 of the top 50 PEAs. Verizon had to do something because T-Mobile was continually dumping on Verizon's 5G maps compared to theirs even though the vast majority of T-Mobile's 5G is their 600 MHz spectrum. Even their 2.5 GHz is only going to over 100 million by the end of the year which is only 30% of the population

What I'm wondering is, did Verizon go even farther with their deceit in making all phones show a UW indicator next to 5G no matter if they are connected or not connected to millimeter wave? Or does the UW indicator go away when you're not connected to a millimeter wave tower? We don't even have millimeter in downtown Seattle right now as far as I know, it's in Spokane! Crazy. So I can't test it. So I'm not sure if my carrier network hack to use ATT to enable N5 band has a side effect as showing my 5G as UW all the time, or, if it's Verizon, falsely advertising I'm connected to UW. What a bunch of marketing BS these guys pull on unknowledgeable consumers just to get more customers and sell more new phones.
    A) No Verizon is not being deceitful.

B) Seattle could have 5G UW it just hasn't been officially announced yet. You think they aren't goign to test the network first before launching it? They just put up the equipment and flip a switch without testing?

C) If you think Verizon is being shady then I suggest switching carriers. Because it's very stupid to give money to a company you think is being shady and anting criminally

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm well aware of the advertising standard (read an article about it). My point is, the obvious perception to the general public is "5G" is way better than "4G" - better go buy a 5G phone quick! But in reality, at least currently, unless you are in a city with line of site to a UW band tower, you aren't getting much for your "Nationwide 5G" on Verizon.. The fact you pointed out, that T-Mobiles mid-band 5G is reaching 30% as opposed to Verizon UW reaching 0.5% is the KEY FACT that of course Verizon isn't going to include in their marketing. LOL.

I'm sure Verizon will catch up, but until then, porting phone numbers is quick and easy. This is the reason why you have a bunch of people walking around with $1000+ (retail) phones as the pricing model is basically you are either renting the phone ("Get an iPhone 12 on us!") with the rental fee built into (but not broken out from) the plan price, or you're financing a phone (at usually full retail) and can't switch carriers easily in either case. I just buy factory unlocked outright (at a discount) and so I can do whatever I want whenever I want as far as carriers and plans.

I've got a prepaid plan SIM coming from T-Mobile ($15 for 2GB) that I'm going to take and spend a couple hours driving around in the Seattle suburbs swapping SIMs between Verizon and TMobile and compare speeds. Unfortunately, it appears Tmobile's coverage map doesn't distinguish between low-band and mid-band coverage - they know most customers won't care and just will be happy to see a '5G' indicator on their phone (just like Verizon.) So the only way to get an idea is to test yourself.

I verified with Tmobile that their tower merger (not just the company merger) with Sprint is complete and their SIM supports GSM and CDMA phones. Many people have carrier phones that the radio is either only GSM or only CDMA. I'm hoping by using a phone that does GSM and CDMA combined with their expanded network CDMA towers from the Sprint acquisition, the Tmobile coverage outside of cities won't be as abysmal compared to Verizon and AT&T as it was 3 years ago when I tried them.

If I get faster mid-band 5G speeds in my typical areas, and get overall coverage that is close to Verizon/AT&T, I'll be a happy camper and Verizon will have lost (possibly temporarily) a prior loyal customer.

Feedback Score
    On a side note, once you reach a certain bandwidth, it's really all hype anyway in my opinion. You can stream 4K video at 15mbit/s. So it's sort of ridiculous to think there's really some big practical benefit of getting 800mbit/s instead of 100mbit/s. In my opinion it amounts to just bragging rights for the carrier or the customer. Download a full movie in 8 seconds instead of 45 seconds. OMG, my life has changed! But I think the difference between having 30mbit phony 5G speed and 300mbit mid-band speed without having to stand in front of a tower is worthwhile to try to obtain as long as you aren't paying more or giving up something else important (like coverage.)

File sharing services such as Dropbox for instance currently don't go past 80mbit/s no matter how fast your client connection is.

I can see some specific business-use cases where you need to upload massive amounts of data in the field (which on rare occasions I need to do) as being the applications that will truly take advantage of the high speeds. But for your average consumer, it's completely unnecessary.

What's really interesting is how this will affect the competitiveness for Comcast and the like with cable based Internet. Currently I have no choices for high-speed home Internet other than Comcast. I'd love to get a mid-band 5G home Internet service, dump Comcast all together and just subscribe to the streaming services I want (which Comcast's 1.2TB limit basically is designed to prevent while using their Internet.)

Feedback Score
    Ran across this WAPO article. "The 5G lie: The network of the future is still slow" Very well written, comprehensive and easy to understand.
    The carriers just don't want Holiday Shoppers reading this. Hits the nail on the head!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...9/08/5g-speed/

Feedback Score
    I'm not intending to split hairs on this so I don't care that he found speeds slightly slower than 4G. It's the bigger picture I find more interesting. His test method isn't a good representation of real use. We don't all walk around holding several phones at once. He tried to save time.

I fully understand the marketing game, such as "unlimited data" that really isn't unlimited. My personal opinion is the mobile carrier industry is relatively more egregious than others in their exaggerated inferences to benefits and the WAPO piece is a testament to that. I got a new phone for the better cameras, the 5G was a secondary consideration that was just sort of an implied added benefit.

I'm digging into this for two reasons; pure curiosity of the difference in actual 5G data speeds between carriers in areas I frequent, and if the speeds are high enough to even consider taking their Home Internet Service for a spin. Something like Starlink from Space X will probably be much more of a game changer down the road than Mobile Carrier Home Internet though.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    How is using an att setting going to work on Verizon?
    Currently, the only NR bands enabled on Verizon unlocked/U1 S20 and Note 20 5G firmware are NSA-n260 and NSA-n261. On AT&T U1 firmware NSA-n5 and NSA-n260 are the only two 5G bands enabled. Using the preconfig method he mentioned, you are basically forcing the phone to boot into AT&T firmware while having a Verizon SIM in and preventing the MPS switch from matching firmware to the installed SIM while the phone reboots. If you look at the Service Mode pics I posted on page 2 of this thread you will see that is an AT&T 5G logo. I had to use the same method to connect to Verizon sub-6. However, the phone will only be able to connect to n260/39 GHz UW while in AT&T firmware.
    Last edited by 10mm; 12-02-2020 at 11:09 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Check Service Mode and test using *#0011#. It works while on AT&T firmware. Verizon does not display.5G UW unless there is mmWave present. And if you switched to AT&T firmware via the preconfig method your phone will only connect to n260/39 GHz. You could be seeing the 5G UW logo where n261 is active and upperlayer indicator is active but your phone is not actually connected to it. NR fields in Service Mode must have network info being displayed. If not, you're not actually utilizing 5G.

EDIT: Just a word of caution for anyone using this method. Make sure you lock the preconfig screen in quicklaunch by long pressing the icon above the app and selecting 'keep open for quick launching'. If you don't and your phone is in AT&T
    or another firmware while having a Verizon SIM in and you close that app out your phone might be stuck on that firmware and you'll have to reflash the U1 firmware back on it.
    Last edited by 10mm; 12-02-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm probably the last person anyone would expect to cut corporations a break, given that I'm a communist, but I understand enough of capitalist economics to know that carriers can't build 5G unless they can justify the capex to their investors, and they can't bring in additional revenue to fund 5G without getting people to buy 5G devices; as such, it's a necessary stretch of the truth to imply to laypeople that 5G devices will immediately get better service.

Otherwise we'd be left with a chicken and egg scenario: Can't build 5G without funding; can't get funding without 5G… or at least the illusion of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    I'm probably the last person anyone would expect to cut corporations a break, given that I'm a communist, but I understand enough of capitalist economics to know that carriers can't build 5G unless they can justify the capex to their investors, and they can't bring in additional revenue to fund 5G without getting people to buy 5G devices; as such, it's a necessary stretch of the truth to imply to laypeople that 5G devices will immediately get better service.

Otherwise we'd be left with a chicken and egg scenario: Can't build 5G without funding; can't get funding without 5G… or at least the illusion of it.
    Many people have the illusion that for profit companies should be run like charities and also the CEO should do what's best for the customers. The SHAREHOLDERS hire and fire the CEO. That's who they work for. Unless the company is private then they can make decisions without having to answer to shareholders. Unfortunately shareholders are greedy and don't have patience for the long term and expect profits on investments like yesterday. This is why FiOS deployment was shut down several years ago.

Feedback Score
    Ran across this WAPO article. "The 5G lie: The network of the future is still slow" Very well written, comprehensive and easy to understand.
    The carriers just don't want Holiday Shoppers reading this. Hits the nail on the head!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...9/08/5g-speed/
    5G is standard not a speed. People are impatient. 4G was slow at first too. All the experts were saying 5G wouldn't have any serious deployment until 2022 or later and now in 2020 these same experts want to complain that a new standard just launched within the last year or so isn't full deployed. I wouldn't take the words of ignorant writers who know little about the topic they are taking about seriously

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast