Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: 5G Nationwide Speed Test Thread

In the wood's of Maryland's eastern shore.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I see people saying to turn off 5g if your in a 5g nationwide cause its for the most part slower then 4g,I just got a pixel 5 from google unlocked and it does not even have 5g to turn off that I see. I am not picking up 5g where I live is that why it does not give me that option. I'v also read that some people say 5g does not even show up in the network setting's.
    Last edited by bcltoys; 02-24-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Feedback Score
    DC doing well

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    In my area most of the "5G" cells consist of NR+LTE as n5 + LTE B66

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Visible, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Name:  F14340FE-63E9-4677-B701-CDCB9022AB69.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  25.9 KBName:  594C57F7-20FC-4DD7-BB16-C4DF12B5BEE9.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  27.5 KB

Think I’m going to keep 5G off unless I’m near mmw. Seeing results like this almost every time.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Right now it seems like the only user advantage to 5G Nationwide is iOS (and Android?) having laxer restrictions on cellular data usage over 5G (for example, iOS lets you FaceTime in HD over 5G but not LTE).

That’ll change as Verizon transitions to a standalone 5G core, which should finally make 5G’s latency lower than LTE’s, and as Verizon deploys their C-Band winnings starting later this year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Right now it seems like the only user advantage to 5G Nationwide is iOS (and Android?) having laxer restrictions on cellular data usage over 5G (for example, iOS lets you FaceTime in HD over 5G but not LTE).
    I'm on Android and, although we have Google Duo for video calling integrated in the dialer, I never use it. Mostly because I am not on an "unlimited" plan, but also I think if your older than 20 yr... it's just cheesy. Meet face to face is preferred method to me.

Feedback Score

That’ll change as Verizon transitions to a standalone 5G core, which should finally make 5G’s latency lower than LTE’s, and as Verizon deploys their C-Band winnings starting later this year.
    The issue is, in areas without C-band, stand alone will be really slow as T-Mobile is finding out. n71 by itself is slower than n71 plus LTE and n5 will be too unless Verizon could use CA with n2 and n66 or n77/n78 however only devices that use the X60 modem can do CA within 5G bands and right now that's just the galaxy S21 line

Also is c-band goign to get lumped in with Nationwide or UWB? T-Mobile has 2.5 GHz lumped in with mmwave. I mean UWB supposedly means any spectrum than can aggregate more than 100 MHz contiguous and C-band certainly qualifies as Verizon has minimum of 140 MHz and up to 200 MHz. Though they can only use 60 MHz at first. Lumping C-band with mmwave would certainly make their UWB map look much larger

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    I'm on Android and, although we have Google Duo for video calling integrated in the dialer, I never use it. Mostly because I am not on an "unlimited" plan, but also I think if your older than 20 yr... it's just cheesy. Meet face to face is preferred method to me.
    I might have agreed with you in The Before Times, but now it’s a matter of being a responsible adult to avoid in-person interaction as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Also is c-band goign to get lumped in with Nationwide or UWB? T-Mobile has 2.5 GHz lumped in with mmwave. I mean UWB supposedly means any spectrum than can aggregate more than 100 MHz contiguous and C-band certainly qualifies as Verizon has minimum of 140 MHz and up to 200 MHz. Though they can only use 60 MHz at first. Lumping C-band with mmwave would certainly make their UWB map look much larger
    It seems 50/50 to me because while defining UWB as being both their mmWave and C-Band holdings, it would leave Verizon on the hook to allow customers truly unlimited data and hotspotting on a sub-7 GHz frequency as well as lowering the average UWB speed rankings. Does Verizon assign more value to appearing to have broad coverage, or to eking out as much money as possible while also appearing to have the fastest speeds? Competition from T-Mobile (as you mentioned) will likely push them toward the first possibility, like how they gave up limited data plans’ profitability because competition demanded unlimited data options, but 5G is a new ballpark and therefore the lessons from 4G are not necessarily transposable 1:1.

Feedback Score
    I might have agreed with you in The Before Times, but now it’s a matter of being a responsible adult to avoid in-person interaction as much as possible.
    Even with vaccinations and masks? Interaction with family and friends only by facetime?
    "Responsibility" to whom? You don't look to be a person "at risk". Just don't interact with elderly persons that didn't get the vaccine yet.
    Virginia Beach had only 97 cases in the last 7 days, and, from those, only 6 hospitalizations.
    Norfolk had only 49 cases in the last 7 days and 2 hospitalizations.
    Newport News had only 42 cases in the last 7 days and 2 hospitalizations.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronav...inia-locality/

Sorry for being Off Topic.

Feedback Score
    It seems 50/50 to me because while defining UWB as being both their mmWave and C-Band holdings, it would leave Verizon on the hook to allow customers truly unlimited data and hotspotting on a sub-7 GHz frequency
    A) Verizon can change plan terms at any time. It's not like T-Mobile offers truly unlimited hotspotting on mmwave

B) and if it only applies to c-band an not any other sub "7 GHz" band there might not even be an issue. I mean if they also get 40 MHz in auction 110 that would mean between 180-240 MHz nationwide. Also the first places to get c-band will be the same places that already have mmwave

as well as lowering the average UWB speed rankings.
    Their UWB speeds are already so fast and with T-Mobile putting 2.5 GHz with it's mmwave, T-Mobile's mmwave tests aren't going be that great either

As someone on Start Unlimited I'd like c-band to be on Nationwide. Who knows what plans Verizon will have in 3 years though anyway. Having C-band on UWB could likely be used as an incentive to get people to move to the pricier plans. Also putting it on Nationwide means ton more bandwidth and the days of Start having no premium data and 480p streaming and no hotspot or 600 kbps hotspot would have to end because it would be complete BS to have that much spectrum available on top of the regular LTE bands and still have these mediocre offerings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Even with vaccinations and masks? Interaction with family and friends only by facetime?
    "Responsibility" to whom? You don't look to be a person "at risk". Just don't interact with elderly persons that didn't get the vaccine yet.
    Virginia Beach had only 97 cases in the last 7 days, and, from those, only 6 hospitalizations.
    Norfolk had only 49 cases in the last 7 days and 2 hospitalizations.
    Newport News had only 42 cases in the last 7 days and 2 hospitalizations.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronav...inia-locality/

Sorry for being Off Topic.
    How many in the last year? How many fewer if more people had been more responsible? Also if you think this is the last pandemic you're naive. Expect more of this in the coming years and the next virus may not get a vaccine so fast and may be even deadlier. There is no going back to the ways things were before

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Masking is a cheap and easy way to drastically reduce both airborne disease transmission AND air pollution inhalation, and physical distancing is a free and easy way to prevent airborne disease transmission. (Yes, the better masks even protect you from dirty air, which will also continue to become a more pressing concern as time goes on.) Thankfully robust 4G, 5G, and eventually 6G networks will make the physical distancing part much easier by bringing rapid file sharing and HD Zooming to as many places as possible.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/4460333190

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    omfg is that with LAA and/or CBRS?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    omfg is that with LAA and/or CBRS?
    Most likely LTE. Could be 48 or 48 & 46. Hard to say for sure.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast