Thread: Target Clearance

Feedback Score

Target Clearance

Thought I'd share because I was at both of the Targets close to me and they're unloading all the Verizon Prepaid phones at 50%-70% off. It seems like most models of the various Android ones as well as the BYOD SIM kit. I wonder if this is a side-effect of Verizon pulling out for postpaid?

One store had them at the location where the Verizon Prepaid display used to be, while the other removed them all and dumped them on an endcap. They've kept the refills in the normal place, but off to the side like the T-Mobile and Boost ones (so I doubt Target is going to stop selling those).

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Probably because they are not 5g compatible

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDan View Post
    Probably because they are not 5g compatible
    I could see that for the SIMs at least, but by that logic for the phone kits, Target would probably be unloading their Cricket, AT&T Prepaid, Consumer Cellular, or whatever else phone kits they have. With the Verizon Prepaid displays being taken down, it seems like that section (at least in my two stores) is getting dismantled.

Either way, if anyone is looking for a Verizon Prepaid device and is okay with just LTE, it may be worth a visit to Target. :-)

They've also been marking down almost all their iPhone 11 Pro/XS cases (makes sense since that size is going away) and some regular 11/XR ones (still going to be sold as cheaper models, so fewer discounts).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    ...I wonder if this is a side-effect of Verizon pulling out for postpaid?...
    I don't understand what this sentence means.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I don't understand what this sentence means.
    Verizon isn't selling postpaid at Target anymore—the change happened in May, but with the pandemic, some displays took a bit longer to come down. Many are using the Verizon space for expanded Consumer Cellular offerings: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...-target-stores

Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    One might think that the Verizon Prepaid phones would be good on Page Plus. I got a 2017 VZ PP phone and tried to put it on Page Plus, and they wouldn't take it. So if you look at one of these, run it's IMEI through PP's activation checker first. If it passes, good deal. Samsungs will have VPP somewhere in the model #.

If it's cheap enough, use it for Google Voice VOIP WiFi house phone, ROKU remote, iPod substitute, music player, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Verizon isn't selling postpaid at Target anymore—the change happened in May, but with the pandemic, some displays took a bit longer to come down. Many are using the Verizon space for expanded Consumer Cellular offerings: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...-target-stores
    So why would VZW stop selling their prepaid phones at Target if they are only selling prepaid plans at Target?

Or are you mixing up the terms postpaid & prepaid?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    So why would VZW stop selling their prepaid phones at Target if they are only selling prepaid plans at Target?

Or are you mixing up the terms postpaid & prepaid?
    The article from July was regarding postpaid disappearing and those displays being repurposed for Consumer Cellular. In the months since, Target could have also elected to reduce the amount of space dedicated to Verizon Prepaid or end sales entirely (no articles yet). At one store, they were in their usual location, but marked down, while at the other store, the Verizon Prepaid display was gone and the phone kits were stashed on the clearance endcap. Usually one would see a particular model on clearance (Cricket typically has this happen), but an across-the-board clearance seems to indicate something is up.

Without being in any meetings at Target or Verizon, it looks a lot like what happened with T-Mobile a few years back. Verizon stopped selling postpaid plans and devices at Target earlier this year. If Target was unhappy with that move, they may have chosen not to continue stocking prepaid kits (phones + SIM cards or just BYOD SIMs), or Verizon may have had an expiration date on that agreement, too. In the coming weeks, we'll know as those inventories deplete and are either replaced with new kits or only the refill cards remain. With the one location emptying out the shelf space for Verizon Prepaid, I'm leaning towards the latter.

T-Mobile did the same thing a few years ago, stopped postpaid sales (there weren't many, but Best Buy was notable), and after a certain date, all the prepaid kits were heavily discounted and disappeared. All that remained were refill cards and only Best Buy has gotten a few BYOD SIM kits back very recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...repaid_phones/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/com...mobile_phones/

Plus, if Verizon does end up gobbling up Tracfone and all of its associated brands, that may be what they'll leave at places like Target or Walmart.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    One might think that the Verizon Prepaid phones would be good on Page Plus. I got a 2017 VZ PP phone and tried to put it on Page Plus, and they wouldn't take it. So if you look at one of these, run it's IMEI through PP's activation checker first. If it passes, good deal. Samsungs will have VPP somewhere in the model #.

If it's cheap enough, use it for Google Voice VOIP WiFi house phone, ROKU remote, iPod substitute, music player, etc.
    Without knowing what model phone you're talking about; keep in mind that 2017 was when phones were just starting to transition to VoLTE. During the change over some VZW PrePaid phones didn't have VoLTE where the same Post Paid model did. Or maybe whether pre or post back then neither had VoLTE.
    I was looking at a used 2017 VZW branded LG K4. After I did some research I found the PrePaid model VS425PP didn't support VoLTE but the PostPaid model VS425 did. I got a used post paid version and it activated fine on PagePlus with VoLTE. But the phone itself sucked. It's just a just in case backup now.
    As far as the Target close out; I doubt a new prepaid VZW phone won't work on any MVNO since it's not unlocked.

Device(s)
    Note 8, LG Xpression 2
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity, Tracphone
    Feedback Score
    I am out of the country right now I would loved to get a cheap XS case to add to my collection.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using HoFo mobile app