Thread: HelloMobile now sends only GSM SIM cards

Feedback Score

HelloMobile now sends only GSM SIM cards

I have Sprint phone and card (cheap ZTE phone) that I managed to unlock (unlock by reflash) for using on T-Mobile or AT&T (but without VoLTE, of course). When I asked for new HelloMobile line, their system and their representative insisted on sending new GSM SIM and told me that they can not send CDMA SIM or to reuse my original Sprint SIM attached to this phone.

It looks like HM always send now GSM SIM cards this days either because of software issue (wrong IMEI validator) or because they stopped sending Sprint SIM cards completely.

Same phone with Sprint SIM passed IMEI/ICCID validator on Tello and Ting.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm curious if that is one reason why their phone lineup has changed so much. Do the Sprint phones they sell also now come with GSM sim cards?

I am noticing a lot of Sprint MVNO's either quietly stopped supporting Sprint phones and SIMs after the brand was sunset back in August and others are now confirming they are going to start only offering "GSM" service on T-Mobile's network. Tello plans on having all customers migrated to T-Mobile by the beginning of next year, with a planned "full network" shutdown of the Sprint services by the middle of next year. Tello made this announcement on their BLOG.

It looks as though T-Mobile is pushing to get all remaining Sprint MVNO's (those that didn't jump ship between April and now) over to T-Mobile now. Once this process starts, it's only a matter of time before all (older) Sprint devices will be nothing more than paper weights. (Those older devices referring to the ones that are not compatible with T-Mobile's network, the ones that are compatible will still work - just on T-Mobile.)
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Latest iPhones (7 and up) and Samsungs (9 and up) should be compatible from hardware point of view. I am not sure that T-Mobile SIM will work on Sprint locked Samsungs (it does works in Sprint locked iPhones).

Regarding Moto-s (G5 and up, E5 and up) I am not sure.

Some Sprint locked phones may be unlocked for GSM usage (using various hacks), but they do not support T-Mobile VoLTE.

So, at the end of 2021 majority of Sprint phones could be used as Wi-Fi devices only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    Latest iPhones (7 and up) and Samsungs (9 and up) should be compatible from hardware point of view. I am not sure that T-Mobile SIM will work on Sprint locked Samsungs (it does works in Sprint locked iPhones).

Regarding Moto-s (G5 and up, E5 and up) I am not sure.

Some Sprint locked phones may be unlocked for GSM usage (using various hacks), but they do not support T-Mobile VoLTE.

So, at the end of 2021 majority of Sprint phones could be used as Wi-Fi devices only.
    i have a moto G5s plus model: XT1806 that is unlocked for all major carriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    i have a moto G5s plus model: XT1806 that is unlocked for all major carriers.
    Factory Unlocked G5... will work everywhere, but I am not sure that Sprint branded G5... (when unlocked) is compatible with T-Mobile or Verizon VoLTE. It is definitely not compatible with AT&T VoLTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    So, Hello Mobile has confirmed their devices they sell are still Sprint devices with Sprint SIMs. However, they also confirmed the BYOD system is now configured to only allow them to send out GSM (T-Mobile) SIM cards. Maybe they will be changing their phone lineup soon since it is being announced that Sprint's CDMA network will be turned off next year.