Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need to switch to new plans to get 5G UWB with iPhone 12?

Feedback Score

Need to switch to new plans to get 5G UWB with iPhone 12?

When I preordered the iPhone 12 Pro on Friday, it said my current plan (Grandfathered Play More Unlimited Plan) was not compatible with 5G Ultra Wideband. I found this odd because in my plan details it says that it includes Unlimited 5G Ultrawideband. I also chatted with a rep and said that although the plan did include that, since the new plans came out it no longer includes this. This just doesn't sound right to me. Did anyone else encounter this?

Also, side note the same rep also said that when using mobile hotspot from a 5G phone, it will only ever get up to LTE speeds because mobile hotspot doesn't work over 5G UWB, which I know is false.

Feedback Score
    The rep was moron. People should do stuff online an quit relying on ill-informed reps

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    The rep was moron. People should do stuff online an quit relying on ill-informed reps
    When I preordered my phone through the app, I got a message saying my plan wasn't compatible with 5G UWB too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    When I preordered my phone through the app, I got a message saying my plan wasn't compatible with 5G UWB too.
    The app and website has been garbage for months too. Last month out of the blue I get an estimated next bill with a device payment discount removed for no reason and it stayed that way until the actual bill came in and thankfully it was correct. So I guess you can't win either the reps or website are going to screw up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THoAddict01 View Post
    When I preordered the iPhone 12 Pro on Friday, it said my current plan (Grandfathered Play More Unlimited Plan) was not compatible with 5G Ultra Wideband. I found this odd because in my plan details it says that it includes Unlimited 5G Ultrawideband. I also chatted with a rep and said that although the plan did include that, since the new plans came out it no longer includes this. This just doesn't sound right to me. Did anyone else encounter this?

Also, side note the same rep also said that when using mobile hotspot from a 5G phone, it will only ever get up to LTE speeds because mobile hotspot doesn't work over 5G UWB, which I know is false.
    I spotted this article and immediately thought of this thread. https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/16/how-t...-verizon-plan/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I spotted this article and immediately thought of this thread. https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/16/how-t...-verizon-plan/
    I love how actual Verizon people were there to correct the article and people insisted they knew better. I guess they couldn't admit they changed their plans for nothing. Verizon should have changed the names of these plans or at the bare minimum put the UW at the end of the name on the website or better yet call it 2.0. I mean The Verizon Plana and New Verizon Plan was confusing but at least the name were a little different. Hope in a year or 2 when they change plans again the actually change the names and offer fewer of them. Do More and Play More should be combined into ONE plan.

Feedback Score
    Seems like all the cellphone carrier’s are in some kind of contest to cause the most confusion

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+ & iPP 12.9”
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Anyone know if the grandfather February 2017 unlimited plan will let you use 5G?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tivoman View Post
    Anyone know if the grandfather February 2017 unlimited plan will let you use 5G?
    Nationwide 5G yes. Mmwave I think it's $10 a line or no access one of those 2.

Feedback Score
    I’m on the Go Unlimited Loyalty plan and the CS reps insist I don’t have access to nationwide 5G. Can anyone confirm this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crimpshrine View Post
    I’m on the Go Unlimited Loyalty plan and the CS reps insist I don’t have access to nationwide 5G. Can anyone confirm this?
    The rep was a moron. It said when a lay person like me knows more about Verizon plans and features and polices than an actual employee that gets paid to know these things. Verizon should be paying ME for correcting all their reps mistakes

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Frankly it’s absurd to charge extra for UWB when:

1. Verizon financially benefits from as many devices as possible being on UWB, because it offloads traffic from the congested sub-7 GHz bands and therefore reduces the need for Verizon to spend more money on additional spectrum
    2. UWB is still so rare that it’s downright unethical to charge people for a service they’ll almost never use

If Verizon were serious about minimizing congestion, they’d make UWB free and they’d heavily subsidize UWB devices.

Feedback Score
    All this mess, along with being pissed off at Qualcomm is one of the reasons why I’ve been holding off getting an iPhone 12. I’m waiting until 5G is as commonplace as LTE and I don’t have to deal with this malarkey.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post

1. Verizon financially benefits from as many devices as possible being on UWB, because it offloads traffic from the congested sub-7 GHz bands and therefore reduces the need for Verizon to spend more money on additional spectrum
    2. UWB is still so rare that it’s downright unethical to charge people for a service they’ll almost never use

If Verizon were serious about minimizing congestion, they’d make UWB free and they’d heavily subsidize UWB devices.
    This totally reminds me of Sprint charging $10 for WiMax for years... it made no sense as the service was almost non-existent and when you did get it, it was so fragile it would be lost if you blocked it with a wall (kind of how mmWave is today)

I'm sure this will come back to bite them eventually, just as it did Sprint.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post

The main reason I think the extra charge for UWB is also pretty funny is because 99% of the time the UWB is probably sitting on a LTE small cell so it’s highly likely that in any area you get mmWave you also are already gonna be getting very good LTE speeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast