Thread: Keeping my old Gold Rewards account but transferring number to Mint ? Possible?

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score

Keeping my old Gold Rewards account but transferring number to Mint ? Possible?

I have had the TMO Gold account for 10 years plus , so that is the cell number I use and everyone has ,

The Gold account is 10 cents a minute / 10 cents a text

for years I had it on a Motorola flip phone , But TMO said I could not use it anymore so I switched to a Moto 5 that I got free for $100 refill . but there is no Data ,

But I end up putting $100 on it every 3-4 months with for 1000 minutes or texts , so that ends up $300 a year ,

So after Black Friday I would like to switch over to Mint for the yearly plan , and switch my Gold phone number to Mint .

But , But , But I would like to keep my Gold plan , get a new number and just use it as a throwaway number ......

Is that Possible ?

thanks for your help , I hope it was not confusing .....
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    The only way I could think of where you might be able to do it is to create a new T-Mobile prepaid account and have them move the Gold number over to the new prepaid account and assign a new number to your gold account. If they did that, then you could port your current number from the newly setup account to Mint, the new account would go away and you would have an new number on the Gold account.

It might be hard to find someone who is skilled enough at T-mobile to do that.

Device(s)
    BLU V5, iPhone 6, iPad 4
    Carrier(s)
    TruPhone (ATT), Mint Mobile (TMo), T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Jets suggestion is what I was going to offer.

But anytime you do anything like that, you risk losing it anyway.

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone and FreedomPop data (backup)
    iPad 4 on T-Mobile 5GB over 5 months/$10

iPhone 6 on Mint Mobile (primary)
    BLU V5 on TruPhone (backup)
    iPad 4 on T-Mobile free data

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I don’t think it can be done.
    However since you are using talk and text only you may want to take a look at this:

Tello.com $8 talk and text only. (I dont know about mms) used to run on sprint.

Tagmobile.com/prepaid $10 talk and text and 100mb data (for mms or imessage) runs on tmobile.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    However since you are using talk and text only you may want to take a look at this:

Tagmobile.com/prepaid $10 talk and text and 100mb data (for mms or imessage) runs on tmobile.
    Thanks . But I guess I forgot to say I would like a little data , right now I am carrying 2 phones sometimes , one for call/text and one on Mint 3 month sims that I change the number every 3 months ,

I am not a heavy data user , 5GB a month is a lot for me ,

And TMO and Mint seem to work fine in my area

Thanks for your thoughts

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Just get a phone that's Dual-SIM and use the burner SIM for data.

A basic Samsung that's dual SIM is only ~$230

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...20&sr=8-3&th=1

FreedomPop Yearly is cheap for data too:

https://shop.freedompop.com/product/...im-dotrivdkt06

1GB/mo is only $49/yr

https://shop.freedompop.com/product/...IM-DOTRIVDKT05
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Feedback Score
    OP want TM network I believe. So Liberty Wireless (on TM) UTT 1GB $100 for 360 days on eBay.

About the # switching idk.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    OP want TM network I believe. So Liberty Wireless (on TM) UTT 1GB $100 for 360 days on eBay.

About the # switching idk.
    I mean, does it really matter what network the data is coming from? AT&T would be likely more than fine for data use.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Hi , I am not going to buy a dual Sim phone , I have a couple of the free Moto 5 that work fine ,

its just if I can move my "Gold" phone number to Mint and replace that nunber with a new number so my "Gold plan" still works ,

Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Hi , I am not going to buy a dual Sim phone , I have a couple of the free Moto 5 that work fine ,

its just if I can move my "Gold" phone number to Mint and replace that nunber with a new number so my "Gold plan" still works ,

Thanks
    It's highly unlikely you're going to be able to do that without loosing the plan/account.

Thus, why I suggested the dual-sim option.. it would allow you to carry one device, and keep your old plan.

That's going to be the best workaround to keep the plan, i use a dual-sim device and it's the best purchase I could have done.

And since you got the moto's "free" then who cares to buy something that does what you need to do?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    TrackVW,
    Years ago, in different occacions and different scenarios. I have too needed to do exactly what you wanted to do and it works very simple.
    You will need to open a new line, doesnt matter if its prepaid or just for a few days.

Change the number; the old number does not go to the pool within 30 days.

Then call tmobile and ask them you want to rescue your old number back.. they do have tools for that, but they need to put it somewhere... in a new line, just while you port it to mint.

I have done it 3 times, and they were able to rescue my old numbers back, some deleted by mistake and others purposely.

You may want to venture on that, could be risky... but i think they can get it.

Your gold will have the new number.

Feedback Score
    You will need to open a new line, doesnt matter if its prepaid or just for a few days.

Change the number; the old number does not go to the pool within 30 days.

Then call tmobile and ask them you want to rescue your old number back.. they do have tools for that, but they need to put it somewhere... in a new line, just while you port it to mint.
    Yes, that's what I thought would be the procedure. The trick is to get someone who can rescue it.

I would have the new prepaid line already setup with a temp number. Then find the person that can remove the number from the gold line and pull it from the pool to add it to the new line, all in one call. If the person isn't confident enough that they can do the full procedure, then you can call back in and speak to another rep.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Tello still runs on sprint, still uses the old sprint activation system and requires a sprint sim card, they haven't migrated any customers or any activations to the tmobile network yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    thanks for your ideas ,

I just have 1000s of business cards out there with my Gold Plan number , so I do not want to lose that number ,

If I lost the Gold Plan switching over to Mint I would not like it , BUT its not the end of the world.

Just waiting for black friday to see what Mint offers for the yearly plan,