Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile's 5G lead begins to widen

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and iPhone 11 PRO Max 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile's 5G lead begins to widen

small excerpt from article: T-Mobile continues to expand its 5G network in ways that its rivals cannot match. And the operator's efforts appear to be gaining momentum.

Specifically, T-Mobile said it now covers fully 25 million people with its 2.5GHz midband 5G network, which can initially support speeds of around 100-300Mbit/s. The operator said that its midband 5G footprint will expand to 100 million people by the end of 2020.

The financial analysts at New Street Research said T-Mobile's ambitious end-of-year 5G midband coverage goal is "significantly higher" than their expectations.

https://www.lightreading.com/ossbss/...a/d-id/764669?
    Manners cost nothing, and also have the added benefit of making a man. You know, it is entirely possible to rise above others, without stooping to pushing them under, and putting them down.
    My Sister is a supervisor at T-Mobile's Salem Oregon Call center. Loyal T-Mobile customer of 17 Years.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure how relevant the 2.5 GHz is 'yet',
    It is a lot of spectrum, and at a usable frequency. In my local area, TMobile doesn't really have it's 2.5 GHz redeployed, and n71 is on about 1 in 6 of fewer urban sites. It does give for +300Mbps in many areas, and I have hit +500 in one. That being said, I've hit +250Mbps on many At&t 5ge (LTE) sites with some pushing near 350Mbps. They do have an advantage in deployment, as they're refarming 850MHz for 5g. It's already built out. Downside... Lack of WCS spectrum for them

Sent from my IN2017 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    TMobile doesn't really have it's 2.5 GHz redeployed, and n71 is on about 1 in 6 of fewer urban sites.
    Sounds about right, Even LTE 71 is spotty at best.

[quoteIt does give for +300Mbps in many areas, and I have hit +500 in one.[/URL][/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever hit even 50mbps on 5G. Usually LTE on an older phone is 20-100% faster!
    More Bars in More Places.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've hit anywhere from 50 to 540Mbps on 5g, however, many sites where it hasn't been deployed, speeds may/will be slower than LTE. Upload on a decent device is almost always better, however. For most, 5g won't impress, at least not for a while.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I wonder what, if any, effects any of these networks 5G claims or advancements mean to actual subscribers flipping services. I get with the tech crowd, who always wants to try the latest and greatest, they love to hear stuff like this and can't wait to try it. With that crowd though, odds are they already have accounts on multiple carriers. With the regular folks, let's say old Bob and Karen down the street, are they leaving say at&t or Verizon, for tmobile because tmobile lit up 5g in there area? Are they leaving tmobile for Verizon or at&t because Verizon or at&t lit up 5g in their area? Not sure. Carriers seemed to have stopped posting their port in ratios from other carriers, so we will likely never know the real answer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    I wonder what, if any, effects any of these networks 5G claims or advancements mean to actual subscribers flipping services. I get with the tech crowd, who always wants to try the latest and greatest, they love to hear stuff like this and can't wait to try it. With that crowd though, odds are they already have accounts on multiple carriers. With the regular folks, let's say old Bob and Karen down the street, are they leaving say at&t or Verizon, for tmobile because tmobile lit up 5g in there area? Are they leaving tmobile for Verizon or at&t because Verizon or at&t lit up 5g in their area? Not sure. Carriers seemed to have stopped posting their port in ratios from other carriers, so we will likely never know the real answer.
    Absolutely not. One cannot not tell the difference between LTE or 5G on a cell phone. People care about 2 things:

1. Coverage. Calls not dropped. No dead spots.
    2. Data - enough to stream a video or load up a website.....nothing major.

That's it. For now 5G is marketing lingo.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wildhope View Post
    Absolutely not. One cannot not tell the difference between LTE or 5G on a cell phone. People care about 2 things:

1. Coverage. Calls not dropped. No dead spots.
    2. Data - enough to stream a video or load up a website.....nothing major.

That's it. For now 5G is marketing lingo.
    I agree. My Dad just got an FE and while I have seen 5G pop up in a couple places, it was nothing of note.

I fail to see how the promised speeds will make a difference for me. I just want 5Mbps in more places, not 500Mbps in fewer places.

And yes, still plenty of dropped calls too.

I'm going to wait longer before getting a 5G phone. The only reason I'd want one right now is for coverage mapping to verify my apparently very paltry local scene. There's only 1 5G site within (distant) range of my house that I know of and that only has n71 5G according to other mappers.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Make sure that you check for System updates. Eg. I just went through both LG Velvet 5g and now on One Plus 8 5g. Both were nothing much out of the box, until updates.
    Still nothing awe inspiring if you already have good service.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Galaxy S20 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    Sounds about right, Even LTE 71 is spotty at best.......
    After an initial burst of band-71 deployments back at the beginning of the year, they've done nothing more around here.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    I agree. My Dad just got an FE and while I have seen 5G pop up in a couple places, it was nothing of note.

I fail to see how the promised speeds will make a difference for me. I just want 5Mbps in more places, not 500Mbps in fewer places.

And yes, still plenty of dropped calls too.

I'm going to wait longer before getting a 5G phone. The only reason I'd want one right now is for coverage mapping to verify my apparently very paltry local scene. There's only 1 5G site within (distant) range of my house that I know of and that only has n71 5G according to other mappers.
    I mean, outside of my visits to cali for work, 5G has been pretty well blanketed.

in Chicago, it's usually 100+Mbps, even deep inside buildings, occasionally i'm around 50Mbps.. but more times than not it's ~100-150Mbps, and n41 areas it's 300-500Mbps.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There's a LOT of network to deploy B71/n71 on, as well as add B41/n41 + B25 from Sprint.
    Many rural areas - just a site or 2 will do (eg. Northern MI, rural CA). Urban areas such as L.A. will take quite a bit to rebuild.
    AT&T can rebuild its B5 to n5 quite easily, as its had physical B5 for decades on all sites. Them adding WCS is a different story.

I'd give it at least another year in the urban areas. Suburbia / rural areas may be better off, especially those that had B71 initially deployed. I have noticed some parts of the San Fernando Valley getting rebuilt - specifically Canoga Ave and Sherman Way. Performance there was awful there in the past, even though signal was good. Must have been high priority on the rebuild.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Just confirmed with T-Mobile, they do not have 5G SA in the Miami area. I do know they have about 3 N41 towers in the county probably just so they can brag in their press releases.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    Just confirmed with T-Mobile, they do not have 5G SA in the Miami area. I do know they have about 3 N41 towers in the county probably just so they can brag in their press releases.
    You sure? I was just in FLL which is close and had 600MHz SA 5G on my OnePlus (since i do not use that "free" SIM for voice calls, it's set to 5G only, which will not function in NSA areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Might be a case of "They don't have a 5G SA only" site in Florida. In theory, all 5G n71 support 5G SA. You on the One Plus - you can force your device to 5G SA. It works fine here in SoCal. The bigger issue is when a 5G site is '5G SA only', and many T-Mobile 5G phones do not support this

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    Might be a case of "They don't have a 5G SA only" site in Florida. In theory, all 5G n71 support 5G SA. You on the One Plus - you can force your device to 5G SA. It works fine here in SoCal. The bigger issue is when a 5G site is '5G SA only', and many T-Mobile 5G phones do not support this
    Samsung... forcing SA causes no service everywhere I go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast