Thread: Should I upgrade to an 11, 11 Pro, or an SE 2nd Gen?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score

Talking Should I upgrade to an 11, 11 Pro, or an SE 2nd Gen?

I own an iPhone 8 256GB. I enjoy the size and the performance.

Should I upgrade to an 11, 11 Pro, or an SE 2nd Gen?

All 3 are free with trade in deals.
    SE I would trade in my iPhone 6 128GB which is just a backup. I was surprised I was offered anything for the 6.
    For the 11 or 11 Pro I would trade in my 8 256GB.

I could sell my 8 if I trade in my 6. No one is interested in my 6 if I trade in my 8.

I know that the 11 series is older than the SE 2nd Gen. Do you think the 11 series will last longer since it is usually hardware limitations that slow down the phone with newer iOS updates? I usually keep phones for 4-5 years. I know the SE 2nd Gen isn’t as powerful. I don’t care about the cameras.

Thanks for your input.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The 2nd SE and the 11 are basically the same, only the screen and camera are different.

I would suggest the SE over the 11 if you already enjoy the size of the 8. As for OS support, it's likely they all will be on the same cycle since they have near identical hardware.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    The 2nd SE and the 11 are basically the same, only the screen and camera are different.

I would suggest the SE over the 11 if you already enjoy the size of the 8. As for OS support, it's likely they all will be on the same cycle since they have near identical hardware.

Thanks for the input. I thought the 11 and 11 Pro had 4GB RAM and the SE only has 3? If I understand correctly the biggest hardware limitation on old phones is RAM. Maybe that is not correct.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    batman420, checkout Apple site >> iPhone >> compare >> pick phones to compare specs. It’s pretty slick and useful.

I look at screen size, total body size , weight, other specs for personal preference.

Pocket carry size and weight are important to me.

The new 12 Mini is very appealing on this front. Too expensive for my taste at this point though.

It’s a good tool.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPad Air 4th Gen (WiFi), Apple iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Verizon Prepaid, FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by batman420 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I thought the 11 and 11 Pro had 4GB RAM and the SE only has 3? If I understand correctly the biggest hardware limitation on old phones is RAM. Maybe that is not correct.
    My mistake, yes, you are right that the 2ndSE has only 3GB of RAM.

As for limitations on iOS from generation to generation, it's been my experience that many limitations are arbitrarily made by Apple rather than that of the hardware itself. Apple OSes in products (both desktop and mobile) appear to have fairly low base requirements, which is why most current devices are supported for 5+ years.

One exception to all this would be the battery; battery degradation would create more performance issues as it ages and is constantly being recharged. That is why Apple implements performance management.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    batman420, checkout Apple site >> iPhone >> compare >> pick phones to compare specs. It’s pretty slick and useful.

I look at screen size, total body size , weight, other specs for personal preference.

Pocket carry size and weight are important to me.

The new 12 Mini is very appealing on this front. Too expensive for my taste at this point though.

It’s a good tool.
    Thanks. I checked that out on the Apple site, but wanted personal opinions. The 12 turns me off because I would have to buy a charging brick, a charging adapter for my car/laptop, and a dongle for headphones. Plus I would only get $400 off the phone. I don't want to pay for a new phone since the 8 is only 3 years old.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    My mistake, yes, you are right that the 2ndSE has only 3GB of RAM.

As for limitations on iOS from generation to generation, it's been my experience that many limitations are arbitrarily made by Apple rather than that of the hardware itself. Apple OSes in products (both desktop and mobile) appear to have fairly low base requirements, which is why most current devices are supported for 5+ years.

One exception to all this would be the battery; battery degradation would create more performance issues as it ages and is constantly being recharged. That is why Apple implements performance management.

Cool. Thanks for the info. RE batteries: My 6 had the battery replaced at 80% in 2017. It is still at 100% now. I used it for work for almost 2 years 5 days a week 8-10 hours a day. The 8 is already down to 91%. I just use it for personal stuff 3-4 hours a day. I use the same settings and charging behavior for both.

Device(s)
    iPhoneXR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Which company is offering a free phone when you trade a 6? I have a 6s and haven't seen any deals that offer more than $80 on the trade.

We have 2 iphone 8s and a 6s that have reached their expiration dates. An unlocked SE currently prices at $429 at Best Buy unlocked while the iphone 11 is $749 full price at Apple. So for my kids the easy choice is the SE. But I'm leaning towards the 11 Pro Max for my wife since she will benefit from the better camera.
    Follow Boraxo's reviews at Yelp, Tripadvisor, Amazon and Flyertalk.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
    Which company is offering a free phone when you trade a 6? I have a 6s and haven't seen any deals that offer more than $80 on the trade.

We have 2 iphone 8s and a 6s that have reached their expiration dates. An unlocked SE currently prices at $429 at Best Buy unlocked while the iphone 11 is $749 full price at Apple. So for my kids the easy choice is the SE. But I'm leaning towards the 11 Pro Max for my wife since she will benefit from the better camera.
    T-Mobile. Sort of.

T-Mobile refused to honor the offer that two different reps confirmed 2 days prior. Go to their website and click on the SE https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone/...u=190199503458

It literally says "See how to get one FREE when you join & trade in an eligible device." It literally has the price of $300 off up front and says the rest will be paid off in 24 monthly payments by T-Mobile. "Receive a one-time bill credit based on your trade-in value, and the balance of the offer via 24 monthly bill credits." It lists the 6 up to the 6S Plus as $300 trade in credit. On most iPhones it clearly states only the 64GB is free. There is no mention of that on this offer and the reps confirmed any size storage was free. In the end they argued that even though it says it is free it is not free. Free does not mean free. Their arguments made no sense at all.

What deal I had to settle for and you can get: $300 off of an iPhone SE with trade in in good condition and switch over to T-Mobile. So if you get the 64GB it will only be $100 plus tax for you. I got the 256GB so it cost me $250 plus $51 in tax. Still a great deal for a 6, but not as good as free.