Thread: jUST A LOOK BACK

Feedback Score

jUST A LOOK BACK

I was sorting some papers when i discovered my first Cellphone bill :$39.95 +tax a month for 200 minutes with 1 year contract... what a rip-off's!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by meetoo88; 10-20-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by meetoo88 View Post
    I was sorting some papers when i discovered my first Cellphone bill :$39.99 +tax a month for 200 minutes with 1 year contract... what a rip-off's!

In 2000 I had my first cell phone. Free2Go PAYG plan with AT&T. $25/90 days for 100 minutes (25c/min). Rollover and no contract!! In 2004 I got my first tracfone Nokia 2600, $20/90 days for 120 min (double minutes at 16.6c/min).

Edit: if you think your plan was a rip-off, consider that today, 20 years later, the PAYG at&t plan is still 25cent/min!!
    Last edited by Jairzinho; 10-20-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Feedback Score
    My first cell phone/plan was with Vzw in 1999. After the rebates, I made money buying my Ericsson AF738, but lost it all and more with the plan base charge. The base charge was $9.99, minutes were $0.25/min, and I used no more than 5 min/mo for the entire 2 years I was with Vzw.

After that first 2 years with Vzw, I used the PPC Standard Plan, mostly $10/120 days, but there were a couple of years where I did the $80/1 year, from 2001-2015! I'm still kind of nostalgic for my PPC days, but my needs changed...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jairzinho View Post
    In 2004 I got my first tracfone Nokia 2600, $20/90 days for 120 min (double minutes at 16.6c/min).
    Yes, the Nokia 2600 was the replacement for the Nokia 5125 TDMA/analog model. I got a 5125 in 2002, and don't think it got double minutes. Those also had a "home" network, and you paid 2X if roaming out of your local area. I traveled a lot in 2003 and it was mostly roaming. Analog was great though, as you could find a signal most anywhere. All the carriers then had analog along with their early 2G digital networks.

I don't remember much about where I got the early phones, or buying and applying airtime. Some was using the Tracfone, as I had no landline available for periods. Don't remember when I started using the TF website.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 10-20-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Yes, the Nokia 2600 was the replacement for the Nokia 5125 TDMA/analog model. I got a 5125 in 2002, and don't think it got double minutes.
    You could add double minutes to them. Not sure when that started, but they sold the DMFL card alone or bundled with a 1yr 400min card (marketed as 1yr+800min)

I always wondered how many of the 1yr/400min/DMFL cards they sold to people that already had DMFL from previous purchases.

Later they sold phones that included DMFL, and later still TMFL.

I still have some single minute phones lying around, even my first cell a TDMA/AMPS 5125 on Tracfone from 2003. I remember because we got it when my wife was pregnant with my daughter (used a pager in 1994 when my son was born).

Of the single minute phones I have the last that could be used was a CDMA one (Nokia 2126?) but those can't be activated now. My Motorola V170 is GSM (2G) which they stopped activating before that (maybe TMO still, but I can't use TMO here)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    You could add double minutes to them. Not sure when that started, but they sold the DMFL card alone or bundled with a 1yr 400min card (marketed as 1yr+800min)

I always wondered how many of the 1yr/400min/DMFL cards they sold to people that already had DMFL from previous purchases.
    They sold the DMFL and the 1 year DMFL cards until fairly late. I think there was a disclaimer on the card or website that using one on an already DMFL phone would add no features.

Name:  Old Airtime.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  82.2 KB

I got rid of my Nokia 5125 in 2004, but picked up a CDMA 5180 a couple of years ago as a souvenir. Could not activate it because they came with a special code issued by Tracfone that I did not know. It would not pass the ESN checker, and I figured nobody at Tracfone would know about it anymore.

Feedback Score
    Cell phone service has certainly dropped in price over the years. I have only ever used prepaid service. Our first phone was I recall 50 cents per minute. Then we went the Tracfone route. I remember when I found a deal on a DMFL phone and thought, “jackpot “. I never purchased a DMFL card but I did purchase the DMFL phone...in fact my husband’s phone is still a DMFL basic flip phone LOL.

When I moved on to smartphones and I discovered the hard way about the towers different phones locked to and that lead me to HoFo. The information I have found here has saved me significant money over the years. I have enjoyed the challenge of getting the most phone/service for the least money.

Feedback Score

jUST A LOOK BACK

I started in 2001 with a Moro MicroTac 650 analog phone with 500 daytime minutes and unlimited night and weekend for $35 plus tax that only worked in the Unicel footprint.

I have used Tracfone’s on and off since 2006 and for light usage it is hard to beat if one does not need a lot of min, text, or data, or when one is broke and has a few $ to go and grab a card when one does not have internet access helped as well.

Now with the Red Pocket eBay special I will have (when I get the SIM card), unlimited nationwide talk+text, 20 GB data on AT&T towers for $25/month on any phone I choose to use that day.

Since Visible will not allow me to port my number to them as my area code is one of a few Verizon does not have a license in, this is the best deal I can find currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, ZTE F160, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Freedompop, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    My cousin still uses a Tracfone LG 200C that I gave her in 2013. I activated it for her and added a DMFL card to it. It won't work after this year, but she's waiting until the last minute to change to a new phone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    My cousin still uses a Tracfone LG 200C that I gave her in 2013. I activated it for her and added a DMFL card to it. It won't work after this year, but she's waiting until the last minute to change to a new phone!
    Why wait to replace, when a new phone will be cheaper to operate and have better voice quality?

Feedback Score
    I found a Verizon payment confirmation for about $60 from 2005, for two lines with minimal service. And I remember when my wife and I got our first Verizon flip phones that could take VGA (640x480) photos. But to access the photos you had to upload them to Verizon's servers, then download on your PC, and the photo uploads cost something like 25 cents per photo!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Why wait to replace, when a new phone will be cheaper to operate and have better voice quality?
    I'm in the same boat, still waiting to replace my Alltel Nokia 3585i that I activated with PPC back in 2005 or 2006 and is still fully functional (voice/texts), although the battery (its second one) is almost dead.

Just a matter or silly pride having such wonderful old piece up and running. I'm glad they had to "kill it" with the coming network changes before it died by itself.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Feedback Score
    I've been using tracfone since the early 90s.

Never once saw a bill. Ha.

Feedback Score
    I got my first cell phone in 2007. I carefully looked over all the available plans and decided I just needed something for occasional calls and texts so I didn't need a full monthly plan. A Tracfone with prepaid minutes sounded perfect. I got a Motorola V170 flip phone, loved the free incoming texts! In 2011 I switched to a LG 420g DMFL flip phone.

In 2014 I switched to an Android phone ZTE Valet, then a LG Ultimate Fuel (not a bad tiny Android phone), then an LG Ultimate 2, that was my favorite phone of all time. Now I am using a TF refurb Samsung Galaxy S7 and I like it a lot, almost as much as the U2. I like smaller phones and most of the new ones are huge.

I have never used any other cell phone service than TF. I will see if TF still works for me with the TF/Verizon merger. I have service out to 2039, will I make it that far?

Device(s)
    Moto X4, Moto G6, Moto E5 Play, ZTE F160, Kyo Dura XT
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, FreeUp, Freedompop, Tello, T-Mo Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Obviously, she doesn't like to change, because it requires learning new ways.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using HoFo mobile app