Thread: LG Velvet 5G --> One Plus 8 5G

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

LG Velvet 5G --> One Plus 8 5G

After having the LG Velvet 5G for a month... I'm almost sad to have to ship it back to T-Mobile.
    In general, its been a good device, but ... because it does not 'currently' support 5G SA, and both T-Mobile and LG are non-committal on any support for 5G SA on this device, as such, it loses some of its appeal.

This is specific to the T-Mobile variants. Mods - can move this to handsets/devices if this is OT enough.

The good (LG Velvet 5G):
    - Coming from an LG G6 and G7, the display / layout is effectively the same functionally
    - Straight forward setup
    - Has 3.5mm jack
    - Battery life becomes 'excellent' after optimization
    - MediaTek 1000C chipset is actually pretty good - rated better than Qualcomm 765G, possibly 865 as well.
    - Can still use field test mode to force LTE/5G only.
    - External microsd slot.

The not so good
    - Slippery/bulky handset (~1/2" longer than One Plus 8)
    - Thumb scanner 'a little' slow compared to One Plus 8, much slower than LG G7
    - Takes quite a while to charge
    - Many of the LG field test modes are crippled.
    - Quirkiness of 5G -> 4GLTE -> 4G (UMTS/HSPA+) often -> 2G (occasional) in normal service areas
    - T-Mobile/ LG not being forthcoming on SA/NSA.

One Plus8 5G
    The good
    - 'Feels' much smaller than the LG Velvet 5G (even though it isn't)
    - 5G SA .. after first update. 5G NSA with CA after 2nd update.
    - 'FAST' display/response/finger scanner
    - More customization than LG .. but is pretty much needed.
    - 30W charger
    - More cases to chose from.

One Plus 8 5G
    Not so good:
    - Getting used to closer to stock Android
    - Screen positioning / use of (icons are either 3 across or 6 across - LG has a nicer view with 5)
    - Lack of 3.5mm jack and microsd
    - Battery consumption modes - less 'logical' modes - percentage or schedule... that's it.

In the end, its a mixed bag. I probably would have been happy if T-Mobile has a timeline for 5G SA on the LG.
    The screen layout is visually better, even if One Plus is much snappier. One Plus isn't bad, it will just take time to adjust and 'convert' to the different ecosystem.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    As a note for actual performance.... they are, as expected similar for the most part.
    Peaks are about the same in 5G NSA + LTE CA for download/upload.
    The few bits that I have noticed which are noteworthy:
    - LTE performance (LTE only mode - both can do) - is slightly better on the One Plus, in good coverage areas (i.e. locally could never get beyond 120Mbps on LG G7 B4/B2 with rare occurrance of B12 in CA. LG Velvet would almost NEVER give 3xCA on LTE only mode, giving me only slightly better performance. One Plus 8 will typically give me 3xCA, adding in the 5MHz B12 channel.

- 5G SA/NSA difference. In 5G NSA, both dl/ul are similar. The quirky 5G NSA on the Velvet often does one of 2 things which do not always 'help'. Clinging bitterly onto 5G NSA even though a local LTE would give better performance (this actually happens quite often), or switching to 4G LTE or worse (UMTS/HSPA+) instead and not reverting. This occurs near CalARTs where the LG Velvet would drop to 4G LTE, and even with a site right there, performance is abysmal around 1-2Mbps with 'full bars'. Cycling does not restore. On the rare occasion where it stays on 5G, performance is great, well past 100Mbps. A little to early to 'tell' with the One Plus, but it typically just stays on 5G SA, or 5G NSA.

This, along with rural access to 5G SA is what makes it worth it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    I've actually been very happy with the OnePlus 8, as a diehard iOS user.. I'm almost tempted to dump iPhone altogether

I feel other than the Camera, the software is what the pixel should have been.. and I appreciate the near stock android experience compared to say One UI.

Unfortunately, there's no WearOS devices nearly as good with either battery or functionality of my Apple Watch, otherwise I'd just use this OnePlus.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In many ways, I don't have any issues with stock Android. It's been a while since I've had stock Android (Nexus 10 and near stock Moto X Pure). Less bloatware/spyware to deal with, as well as less overhead. In that regard it is nice. The Velvet had a nicer UI appearance, but that was its main benefit, sadly. The Dimensity 1000c is good on paper, and appears to function well... but until T-Mobile and LG take off the governor, its been crippled. This is where 1+ typically appears to do its best... high end bits without crippled/bloated OS and other 'overhead'.