Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dump legacy plan to get $800x2 iPhone trade-in credits?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneXR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Dump legacy plan to get $800x2 iPhone trade-in credits?

    Hi I have a nice legacy plan that is basically $135/mo all-in for 7 devices (3 phones, 2 watches, 2 ipads). It has 12G shared data, rollover data and unlimited calls & texts when traveling to Mexico/Canada.

    I would like to upgrade 3 iPhones and the new AT&T trade-in deal is more attractive that the earlier promos. However this would require me to dump the legacy plan and pay an additional $60/mo for an unlimited data plan. Assuming a 30-month contract, I will be paying $1800 more to AT&T.

    On the plus side, I can get $1600 discount by trading a pair of iphone 8s. And I can get a $200 discount on a 3rd phone (no trade). So it seems like a wash. Though to be sure I could probably sell the iphone 8s for $150 each on eBay.

    I really hate the idea of dumping the cheap legacy plan, though my kids have been begging for unlimited data. Of course I could put them on a reseller plan (I recently switched them to MINT) but then we will have to buy new phones without the promo...
    Follow Boraxo's reviews at Yelp, Tripadvisor, Amazon and Flyertalk.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    121
    Device(s)
    Flip phone, Samsung J3 on Tello
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, H2O, Page Plus, Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is the time to teach your kids to live on a budget.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,112
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    This is the time to teach your kids to live on a budget.
    I mean, at this point though.. unlimited data is cheap enough there's no reason to be on limited plans anymore, and 12GB shared across 3 phones is crazy in 2020 if they use them at all when out/about.

    OP: Have you tried calling AT&T retentions and seeing if an upgraded data promo is available for your account? before i swapped my parents off, AT&T was more than happy to offer "double the data" on the account.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT$T: $50 Unlimited Elite Prepaid promo (for more “rural” areas)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneXR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Good point, I forgot about the retentions dept as I had not had much luck there in the past. But no harm testing the waters.

    I have recalculated the total cost of new phones plus monthly charges over 30 months:
    • Do nothing: $5310
    • Keep current AT&T plan, buy 2 iphone SE and iphone 12 (for Mrs. B): $6410
    • Keep current AT&T plan, buy 2 iphone Minis and iphone 12: $6910
    • Switch to unlimited plan, buy 3 iphone 12s: $7210 (with trades)


    At this point I am leaning to the last option, as the 12s should last 3-4 years and thus the other options strike me as penny wise, pound foolish. The unlimited data will be useful for my kids, but I resent paying $20 for my tablets which rarely use much cellular data.

    I could cut this 50% by switching to T-Mo but the Mrs. won't touch it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,112
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
    Good point, I forgot about the retentions dept as I had not had much luck there in the past. But no harm testing the waters.

    I have recalculated the total cost of new phones plus monthly charges over 30 months:
    • Do nothing: $5310
    • Keep current AT&T plan, buy 2 iphone SE and iphone 12 (for Mrs. B): $6410
    • Keep current AT&T plan, buy 2 iphone Minis and iphone 12: $6910
    • Switch to unlimited plan, buy 3 iphone 12s: $7210 (with trades)


    At this point I am leaning to the last option, as the 12s should last 3-4 years and thus the other options strike me as penny wise, pound foolish. The unlimited data will be useful for my kids, but I resent paying $20 for my tablets which rarely use much cellular data.

    I could cut this 50% by switching to T-Mo but the Mrs. won't touch it.
    Why not just get a plan that has mobile Hotspot included for yourself and dump the actual tablet lines? (you may even have a work discount for the Unlimited Elite plan for $10 more, giving you 30GB/hotspot for your line, and HBO Max included) for those times you want to use the tablets? If no employer discount available, then it's 15GB of hotspot for $10/mo extra.

    Depending on who uses the tablets, if it's just 1-2 of you.. paying $10 more for a plan with mobile hotspot most likely makes the most sense, as it even gives you more flexibility with how to use the data.

    As far as T-Mobile... just get a SIM card and have her try it for a week.. i'll bet she's pleasantly surprised with how good it is. This is not the T-Mobile of 2005-2010 when it really was... T-Maybe.

    T-Mobile will even send you a free hotspot with 30GB of data to test and be sure there's data/voice signal where you need it (its the cheapest hotspot they can get, as they do not ask for equipment return).. but will let you know how the signal is where you want/need it.

    https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,042
    Feedback Score
    0
    I can't tell you how crazy this seems to me. Oops I think I just did.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,112
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I can't tell you how crazy this seems to me. Oops I think I just did.
    Work the system and get as many devices as you can.

    Thing is OP's plan would not be much more (around $20) with actual unlimited and dumping the iPad plans that are not used.. would give separate hotspot allowances for when iPads need to be used and comfort of not worrying about going over.

    All while letting AT&T pick up the tab for the new devices? Why not?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6,042
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    Work the system and get as many devices as you can.

    Thing is OP's plan would not be much more (around $20) with actual unlimited and dumping the iPad plans that are not used.. would give separate hotspot allowances for when iPads need to be used and comfort of not worrying about going over.

    All while letting AT&T pick up the tab for the new devices? Why not?
    Maybe I got this added wrong. Just seems if the price of the phone & other monies are stripped away, the monthly bill for service alone imho is too much.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    70
    Device(s)
    iPhoneXR
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Maybe I got this added wrong. Just seems if the price of the phone & other monies are stripped away, the monthly bill for service alone imho is too much.
    I left out some info - we have 3 phones, 2 tablets and 2 watches. So 7 total devices with garbage fees and taxes on each one.

    I like the hotpot idea for the iPads. But it was nice to have the ATT cellular access when my phone broke. But maybe not needed right now since we are all stuck working from home for a while and rarely away from WiFi. Or maybe get a separate data plan for them if I need it from another carrier.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,112
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11ProMax, OnePlus 8 5G
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
    I left out some info - we have 3 phones, 2 tablets and 2 watches. So 7 total devices with garbage fees and taxes on each one.

    I like the hotpot idea for the iPads. But it was nice to have the ATT cellular access when my phone broke. But maybe not needed right now since we are all stuck working from home for a while and rarely away from WiFi. Or maybe get a separate data plan for them if I need it from another carrier.
    Really though.. you could just use prepaid data passes for the iPad if it's that occasional.

    If they're new enough, you can add a 30 day pass from the cellular menu and call it good. on AT&T 2GB with 90 day expiration is $20, T-Mobile also sells cheap multi-month iPad plans directly in the menu as well.

Similar Threads

  1. what's cheapest plan to get the iphone 4?
    By dave5868 in forum Fido
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 02:33 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2009, 02:29 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 01:49 AM
  5. What plan to get for iPhone for mainly email usage
    By Bruno S4 in forum Rogers/Fido/Chat-r
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Bookmarks