Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Some updates we noticed regarding Sprint MVNO's post merger

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    Wow, Tello had better hurry up to get this done by end of year. That is a lot of accounts to switch over in a few weeks including the holidays. My iPhone SE is not from Tello. Were some SEs locked to Sprint or were they all unlocked to work on GSM networks?
    Unless you bought an unlocked model (or had one unlocked from a previous carrier), they are locked to a carrier. Hardware-wise they can used with other carriers, but need to be unlocked first.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    So far, Tello has stated the transition will happen "before the end of the year" and they seem to want everyone to switch over before next year to ensure there is no service disruptions...
    Where did you see that Tello wants all their customers on T-Mobile by the end of this year?

Two weeks they said that they wanted to be able to start activating customers on T-Mobile by year end, but that the Sprint network would be available until at least mid-2021. They also said that they would give customers at least 3 months warning before the shutdown. https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-and-the-t-mobile-sprint-merger/
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jw530 View Post
    I read on Tello's blog that the Moto E4, that a lot of HoFo viewers have, won't work on the new Tmobile network.

"Oh, Rick, I hate to deliver bad news, but since MOTO E4 is an older model, it won’t be a match for the new GSM network, sorry." Maria Dima says: October 15, 2020 at 8:48 am

Is this true even for the unlocked or GSM unlocked Moto E4?

1. I thought the (unlocked) model had VoLTE capability.
    2. Tmobile won't require everyone to have VoLTE or 5G for a while longer (months, years from now?). That would mean massive phone
    upgrades throughout Tmobile's subscriber base that I have not heard of.
    T-Mobile has had VoLTE on many device since 2016, so no they won't be forcing a lot of upgrades since nearly every T-Mobile device from 2016 on supports VoLTE. However, T-Mobile is no longer allowing devices that don't support VoLTE to be activated and have already stated the older devices that rely on 3G service for voice calls will stop working by the end of 2021, if not sooner. (One announcement stated that 2G voice will be turned down as early as January 2021 on T-Mobile.)
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...d-off-january/

As for the Motorola e4, the comments you are seeing on Tello is regarding the e4 sold by Tello - which is a Sprint specific device made in 2016 that does not support VoLTE. It never got the firmware installed to support VoLTE and Motorola is no longer updating it. (I actually saw on Best Buy that the XT1766BLK Moto e4 is also missing bands 2 and 4 which would be required along with band 12 and VoLTE as a bare minimum to work on T-Moble.)
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorol...?skuId=5938302

Since the device never got the firmware upgrade to support those bands or VoLTE, it would take T-Mobile going around Motorola to force those upgrades - if they are even possible - to make the device compatible.

I'm unsure about the unlocked or T-Mobile variants and even Tello is saying the best way to know for sure is to check it's IMEI after they finish the switch over to the new network and can begin offering new SIMs. (We're still waiting for them to announce the start date, which they said would be announced soon on FB.)
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Where did you see that Tello wants all their customers on T-Mobile by the end of this year?

Two weeks they said that they wanted to be able to start activating customers on T-Mobile by year end, but that the Sprint network would be available until at least mid-2021. They also said that they would give customers at least 3 months warning before the shutdown. https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-and-the-t-mobile-sprint-merger/
    I didn't say that I strictly saw them saying they wanted everyone to switch over by the end of the year.

I did say that they SEEM to want everyone (or as many as possible) switched over with how they worded their own BLOG. By stating that customers will only have until mid 2021 - to switch over or lose service - (Juneish) gives them less than 8 months to make the switch, which makes it seem more urgent that the switch should be made sooner rather than later.

And if it is June in which said shutdown would happen, that would mean warnings would go out to people who have not already switched over no later than April, but by then - if T-Mobile is moving as fast as they SEEM to - those devices may not have LTE that long. So again, the sooner you switch, the better.

Which would make sense into making it SEEM like they'd want everyone (or as many as possible) switched over "before next year" - which was my EXACT words. (To prevent service disruptions, which I am ALREADY seeing in my own service.)

They make it sound as though all CDMA-only devices will stop working entirely by mid 2021, which could in reality be more towards the end of the year. Since the latest we've had heard about the 3G sunset directly from Sprint/T-Mobile has slated it to occur towards the end of 2021.
    https://uk.pcmag.com/smartphones/126...rint-customers

However, while the BLOG makes it seem urgent to migrate to the new network ASAP, the fact remains is they have not made any real changes to the main site and are still selling the Sprint Moto e4, which - according to them - will not be compatible and therefore will no longer be usable in (according to the BLOG) less than 8 months. (If you were shopping for service with them now and didn't check the BLOG/TOS, you'd have no idea of this and would be "surprised" when told in April/May that you need to upgrade your device to use the new network or face losing the ability to use their service, especially if you buy the e4 - which is their cheapest smart phone.)

Though T-Mobile may have bumped it up if my current experience with Tello is any indication. (No more band 26 where I use it most, no more LTE on my home block, 3G only indoors where I used to get LTE, 1X only where I used to only get 3G - which includes a growing bubble around my house. I used to get 3G inside my house and directly behind it, then LTE around the rest of my home block. Now I only get 1x on my entire home block and 3G only for another 2 blocks around my house, before I'm pulled onto Band 25/41 LTE further from my house and closer into town.) The nearest tower to my house was a combo T-Mobile/Sprint tower that is now missing 8 nodes from both rungs. Second nearest tower is a T-Mobile only tower I have no access to at this time.

It appears Sprint proper customers were starting to roam onto T-Mobile bands 25/41 as it was being integrated from Sprint (as part of the announcement made in April) instead of being bumped down to the remaining Sprint EVDO/1xRTT, so this may continue to be the case as T-Mobile continues to "rapidly" integrate the networks. I can confirm Sprint proper customers with 5G were seamlessly roaming onto T-Mobile's 5G network that early on compatible devices. (One of my friends is a Sprint customer with the Samsung S20 5G and started getting 5G back in April in Seattle - where only T-Mobile had their nationwide 5G at the time. So far, Seattle does not have mid-band or mmWave 5G with anyone, but I can confirm we do have T-Mobile's 600MHz "nationwide" 5G.)

Sprint CDMA 1xRTT/EVDO will not be integrated and instead will simply be shut down "soon" and seem to be on Sprint only towers. My only guess noting the missing nodes is that towers that were T-Mobile/Sprint only had LTE. (The tower I refer to is listed as owned by T-Mobile on cell mapper and other such sites.)
    Last edited by jmac32here; 10-26-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    I think all assumptions about shutdown legacy Sprint's CDMA are baseless now.

There was no official announcement from T-Mobile about this step and usually provider informs end users (I am talking about Sprint postpaid users) months or years before shutdown (as was done by AT&T and Verizon).

All former Sprint MVNOs will start migration to other networks (not necessary to T-Mobile) ASAP or already started (for example, HelloMobile does not send Sprint SIMs anymore), but it does not mean that there is a deadline of June 30 2021 set by T-Mobile to shutdown CDMA.

Remember, only minority of Sprint branded devices can roam on T-Mobile or have VoLTE compatible phones (iPhones, some Samsungs), so, shutdown of CDMA network has serious implications on Sprint users proper (not just MVNOs) it it is unlikely that T-Mobile is going to disconnect them without official warning.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I think all assumptions about shutdown legacy Sprint's CDMA are baseless now.

There was no official announcement from T-Mobile about this step and usually provider informs end users (I am talking about Sprint postpaid users) months or years before shutdown (as was done by AT&T and Verizon).

All former Sprint MVNOs will start migration to other networks (not necessary to T-Mobile) ASAP or already started (for example, HelloMobile does not send Sprint SIMs anymore), but it does not mean that there is a deadline of June 30 2021 set by T-Mobile to shutdown CDMA.

Remember, only minority of Sprint branded devices can roam on T-Mobile or have VoLTE compatible phones (iPhones, some Samsungs), so, shutdown of CDMA network has serious implications on Sprint users proper (not just MVNOs) it it is unlikely that T-Mobile is going to disconnect them without official warning.
    Actually many Sprint devices from 2018 on and even quite a few from 2016 on can (and do) roam onto T-Mobile's network. (Older ones don't roam very well and non-VoLTE phones still use CDMA for voice.) MVNO's however have no such agreements yet to allow said roaming, but it has been happening as announced by T-Mobile in April for a majority of Sprint customers already.

Nearly all devices Sprint sold from 2018 on now offers VoLTE and is fully compatible with T-Mobile's network.
    Which if customers follow upgrade timelines means that your "minority" of devices (compared to total lineup from all devices ever sold) is now the majority of devices currently in use. (At the same time, using that argument, only a minority of devices for ALL carriers support VoLTE since only devices sold from 2016 on ever supported it and there's a lot of devices in that lineup made before then and most of those are now completely incompatible with ANY carrier, just like the old analog phones no longer work.)

As for the CDMA shutdown, Sprint already slated it for the end of 2021 - whether or not T-Mobile follows suit is a different story, but it was announced by Sprint prior to the merger. Also even analysts are saying that T-Mobile would rather shut it down sooner rather than later.

And the tower guys, well they are confirming as such as well and even point to T-Mobile's own internal memo that was leaked that no T-Mobile devices will be allowed to use the network after 2021 without VoLTE. Even "my" Sprint guys point to the same exact memo when I talk to them, so it appears that new T-Mobile is aligned to follow the timelines as previously announced for both networks.

Again, just because there is a lack of updates from New T-Mobile does not mean things are not happening in the background. Mergers are messy, networks change every day REGARDLESS of in a merger or not (otherwise carriers would never have boasted about "daily network spending"), and so a lot can be happening way too fast for the PR guys to keep up. 2G is already sunset, and 3G was slated to be sunset by everyone already to make room for 5G.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Twigby has sent us the following reply via e-Mail:

Hello Drako,

Twigby customers can look forward to even better service in the future but with the same flexibility and control they have grown to love. As always, we are committed to making our customers our number one priority. We will continue to provide you with exceptional, affordable phone service built for your needs.

The merger will result in a more robust nationwide network. Twigby will continue to offer you excellent customer service and pricing. As we work to implement this new offering, there is no need to worry because nothing is changing today. Rather, you will see a gradual switch. We will keep you updated as we progress in switching to the new and improved network. You will be notified well ahead of time so your services will not be affected. ​

Sincerely,

Twigby Support

Feedback Score
    "Patriot Mobile shows a Sprint Coverage map with extended roaming, but again we found a T-Mobile device in their lineup".

That is still the Patriot Mobile coverage map with Sprint and Verizon Extended Roaming. If they get rid of the Verizon roaming and have only Tmobile/Sprint Combined I am going to have some areas near me where I am going to lose coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by raygerogiano View Post
    "Patriot Mobile shows a Sprint Coverage map with extended roaming, but again we found a T-Mobile device in their lineup".

That is still the Patriot Mobile coverage map with Sprint and Verizon Extended Roaming. If they get rid of the Verizon roaming and have only Tmobile/Sprint Combined I am going to have some areas near me where I am going to lose coverage.
    If you compare maps side by side, it appears to be T-Mobile Roaming, considering that the coverage gaps in places like ID are exactly the same between Patriot and T-Mobile - whereas Verizon's map has more areas filled in, leaving the maps to be different enough to be noticeable.

For reference I mainly looked into ID and the western states, since the eastern states are all about the same. I also am including screen shots for all 3 maps so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

Name:  PM.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  76.5 KBName:  T.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  92.6 KBName:  VZW.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  89.8 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It appears as though Tello is starting to remove references to Sprint on their website.

The area that used to say:
    "Nationwide 4G LTE Coverage

Coast-to-coast wireless coverage is provided on Nationwide Sprint® Network*. Forget about dropped calls, loading issues or slow data speeds."

Now says:
    "Nationwide 4G LTE Coverage

Coast-to-coast wireless coverage. Forget about dropped calls, loading issues or slow data speeds."

https://web.archive.org/web/20201019...s://tello.com/
    https://tello.com/

Also
    "See if you need a
    Sprint® Network* SIM"
    Now says
    "Add or get your Tello SIM."
    On the BYOD Page

https://web.archive.org/web/20201008...your_own_phone
    https://tello.com/bring_your_own_phone

The rest of the site remains the same, with the same device lineup and coverage map. Though they did remove references to Sprint's Network on the coverage page. The only references to Sprint are now in the footnotes under the site copyright. It appears as though they are starting to prepare the site for the network switch to T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    If you compare maps side by side, it appears to be T-Mobile Roaming, considering that the coverage gaps in places like ID are exactly the same between Patriot and T-Mobile - whereas Verizon's map has more areas filled in, leaving the maps to be different enough to be noticeable.

For reference I mainly looked into ID and the western states, since the eastern states are all about the same. I also am including screen shots for all 3 maps so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

Name:  PM.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  76.5 KBName:  T.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  92.6 KBName:  VZW.jpg
Size:  89.8 KB
    I can tell you the map has not changed since the merger. An area near me in rural NY on the Patriot map has Verizon extended coverage but if you look at that same area on the official Tmobile map the same area has no coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can tell you the map has not changed since the merger. An area near me in rural NY on the Patriot map has Verizon extended coverage but if you look at that same area on the official Tmobile map the same area has no coverage.
    You mean this area?

Name:  att.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  118.4 KBName:  pm.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  83.9 KBName:  t.jpg
Size:  88.2 KBName:  vzw.jpg
Size:  91.4 KB

Feedback Score
    You mean this area?

Name:  att.jpg
Size:  118.4 KBName:  pm.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  83.9 KBName:  t.jpg
Size:  88.2 KBName:  vzw.jpg
Size:  91.4 KB
    Yep, and if you zoom in on the Tmobile map you will see no coverage holes where the Patriot map shows Verizon extended roaming coverage.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yep, and if you zoom in on the Tmobile map you will see no coverage holes where the Patriot map shows Verizon extended roaming coverage.
    The amazing things zooming can do. Indian lake is a T-Mobile Dead zone, but PM shows roaming there.
    This is good to know. Though they could have multiple roaming partners too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2