Thread: Subscribe and save on Pixel 4a

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Subscribe and save on Pixel 4a

Fi has a new subscription plan that applies only for buying the Pixel 4a, and only as long as you stick with the Fi service for 2 years.

Suppose that you would buy the Pixel 4a for $349 and finance it over 2 years. Then the charge will be $14.54 each month for 24 months. The protection plan would add $6 per month, so $20.54 plus your phone plan. That's what has been available. Now if you sign up as a "subscription," you pay $15 per month and that includes the protection plan.

The subscription pricing assumes that you keep the plan (talk + text + data) for 2 years. At the end of 2 years, the phone is yours to keep.

So if you're planning to keep the service and you do indeed keep it, then you're getting a discount of $133 over 2 years. This is perhaps a response to the objection that Fi is expensive.

See: https://fi.google.com/about/phone-subscription

Feedback Score
    The "subscription" boils down to a lease with the phone becoming yours after 24 months. I think Fi uses this to lock in customers just like the 3 US carriers do. It does lower the total acquisition cost but if you terminate early you have to pay the full price. Sounds like lock in to me.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    The "subscription" boils down to a lease with the phone becoming yours after 24 months. I think Fi uses this to lock in customers just like the 3 US carriers do. It does lower the total acquisition cost but if you terminate early you have to pay the full price. Sounds like lock in to me.
    I don’t think they are trying to hide anything. If you agree to stay with them, they’ll knock over $100 off the price of the phone. Don’t want to be locked in? Pay for the phone outright and leave when you feel like it.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    The "subscription" boils down to a lease with the phone becoming yours after 24 months. ...

Well, the subscription is what they say it is, but it's not a surprise that it has some similarity to a lease. You can also compare the Fi subscription to the pricing at Mint Mobile. I am on Fi, my son is on Mint. A Mint customer may already have a T-Mobile compatible phone. Then he (or she) starts with an introductory contract and if he's pleased, he then gets the best deal by paying for a year in advance. Mint has his money so the commitment is transparent. With the Fi subscription, the commitment is for two years, but it's less firm. You can cancel the service, but you lose the discount on the device. Read the exact conditions to see how that works: https://fi.google.com/about/phone-subscription .

The Fi offer is transparent as they present it. If you intend to keep the service for 24 months, and you want the Pixel 4a, then you can enjoy time payments and also a device discount of $133. The offer is available to existing customers and they hint that in 2 years they'll offer some similar deal on a newer device.