Thread: AT&T Prepaid Data De-prioritization

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score

Exclamation AT&T Prepaid Data De-prioritization

Hi All,

I'm currently experiencing hard core data Data de-prioritization as outlined in AT&T Prepaid's T&C, on a specific tower in a specific area in my city. I know that AT&T Prepaid reserves the right to deprioritize my data... but its been quite annoying considering I spend 75% of my time in this area....

I verified that I do in fact still have over 6GB of high-speed data available on my $50 monthly plan ($300 per year plan/$50 8GB Monthly Prepaid Plan w/ Rollover.

Often times I find myself having to manually toggling airplane mode in order to "refresh" the mobile data connection; usually this works, but today I had numerous occasions where I was unable to use my mobile data connection. Phone Calls, Texts, and iMessages don't seem to have any issues. Any other task such as loading emails, using YouTube, accessing Ring app, or any other data-intense apps, are totally unresponsive during this time.

I've used my iPhone SE on AT&T Prepaid on iOS 13.4.1 for many months with no recent changes....

Any suggestions or recommendations? I really don't want to change my carrier, but this data issue is very annoying considering many of my main daily functions rely on wireless data. Please let me know what you think, or also let me know if anyone has ever experienced this same issue before.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I am an authorized AT&T Prepaid Retailer located in IL.

SO ANNNOYING!

Feedback Score
    Could it be that AT&T just doesn't have a good service in your area [anymore]? Is there a chance you can compare it with post-paid SIM plan when you are having problems? It does suck to be in this situation especially after you prepaid for a year.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6 64GB, LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You may be in a lower tier qos (I don't work for att so can verify) but if prepaid does get deprioritized it wouldn't cause your data to come to a halt. I mean apn still the same as postpaid. Sounds like you may have a funny tower or some interference in your area. There is a mall by me if you go to a specific store outside data just drops. It's been that way for years. Obviously some interference or reflection.

I'd try to chat with att but as you know with prepaid cs will gaslight you.

Feedback Score
    This reminds me of a similar issue that I ran into near where I worked. AT&T was fine for years, even as new LTE bands were added and things were adjusted. In late February/early March, something changed and data stopped working on LTE Band 12 (17). It wasn't a deprioritization issue, as it was unusable at all times (web pages would never resolve) and call quality was poor. This happened across all services running on AT&T—Cricket, AT&T DataConnect (prepaid), FreedomPop, AT&T postpaid, AT&T business postpaid, as I was able to verify across my devices and some coworkers. I tried reporting it and got the run-around as though it was only my device/account. AT&T wouldn't talk to me, as the only postpaid plan I had was for a family member's Wireless Home Phone & Internet service that never was in that location. Cricket's technical support wasn't very helpful because they wanted me to call from that location (and I couldn't). A coworker with a spouse who works at AT&T also had trouble reporting the issue.

We went to work-from-home for a few months, so I didn't deal with it, but once I came back, it was still there. Since I knew something was broken, and could prove that it was on a particular cell site (same PCI/TAC/Band/etc.), I was determined to get to the right person, but it seems that no matter what plan/service you have, network issues like that fall on deaf ears. Even FCC complaints yielded nothing but lip service from the Office of the President and "we're looking into it, but will close out the ticket." Finally, I threw in the towel and switched (paying a lot more now that I'm out of a 4/$100 Cricket group with family). About two months later, it came up in conversation and another coworker mentioned that her spouse works for the wireless side of things locally. He was able to get some traction and it appears resolved after "reprovisioning" on the site.

In our case, the data felt like it was working intermittently, because it was fine on LTE Band 14, 2, or 66. Any time it would lock back into 12, no luck. Your airplane mode thing sounds like you might be jumping to a working band and then eventually falling back to the failing one.

My theory with all of this is that where I work was on the edge of the LTE/5GE indicators and some contractor got sloppy when they finally upgraded that site. Obviously, we'll never know, but I've been seeing a lot of posts about weird network issues popping up where service is just unusable in a place where it previously was fine.

Good luck!

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I had the exact same problem (in Illinois no less) on a specific tower that served where I work.

I solved it by switching back to T-Mobile. Not a viable solution for everyone I realize, but sometimes there’s just no fixing these one off intermittent issues without wasting a ton of time with support, if it all.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I had the exact same problem (in Illinois no less) on a specific tower that served where I work.

I solved it by switching back to T-Mobile. Not a viable solution for everyone I realize, but sometimes there’s just no fixing these one off intermittent issues without wasting a ton of time with support, if it all.
    Yep, in my research, it seems like this has been happening more than just a few one-offs and AT&T hasn't really been responsive to fix it...sloppy contractors? Bad DSS setup breaking LTE (probably not)? Something else?

I'm just down I-65 from you, near Indianapolis, and that's what's especially frustrating—AT&T is probably the most consistent of the big carriers and has been for years around here—decent coverage, good speeds even with plans where you'd potentially be deprioritized, and lots of small cells in downtown Indy.

Verizon's coverage is good, but suffers from congestion (they seem to be everyone's default), Sprint had some really great pockets (just like Chicago), and T-Mobile is having some growing pains (in the town I work, they have a site with only Band 12 running and it gets congested easily). I think the Sprint + T-Mobile combination will be really good for my area, but it is concerning that AT&T is letting things fall apart a bit when they've been so solid.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 on ST
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk/AT&T
    Feedback Score

Chicago

Thank you to all of you who've inputted.

The area that I'm having the most issues also has an overload of people on the North End of town where all of the cities shopping center/districts as well as big name fast food places are. There is also a retail mall. I'm thinking the amount of AT&T subscribers must be too many and the deprioritzation kicks in.

I cross verified this with an iPad data connect pass $34.99 Per month for 25GB experiencing the exact same issues as noted above. This account is considered a prepaid account through AT&T Premier/AT&T Business accounts. The exact same thing will occur.

I believe something is malfunctioned with the infrastructure necessary for running numerous people at the same time.... Something isnt right and should be upgraded. Also there is an AT&T Corporate Store within 1 mile of this occurrence, I'm curious if their store is taking priority over the same tower I'm connected to or something....

P.S. The 5 years I was with Straight Talk BYOP AT&T $45 monthly unlimited plan, I never had this issues....